[#2]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
is it safe or not?

HELL NO !

it is NOT safe.

On a 1911 without a firing pin block a blow to the hammer could shear the half cock notch and cause the weapon to discharge.

On 1911's with a firing pin safety you run the risk of a Negligent Discharge just getting the hammer down to the half cock position.

Can't stress enough what SGB just said.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not doing this, nor have i (with a loaded gun), but I have heard, that's why I ask.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#5]
You shouldn't do anything half cocked.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The question of how best to carry a 1911 has come up frequently since we were blessed (thanks mods, site staff and owner) with a dedicated 1911 forum. To those not familiar with or new to 1911s this pistol is meant to be carried with a round chambered, safety on, hammer cocked (condition one). I know it makes some people uncomfortable to carry a pistol in this way, but this is how it is meant to be carried. Few people question carrying a Glock with a round chambered (make sure your holster covers the trigger completely), but a 1911 carried C&L with a round chambered is IMHO and in truth actually much safer. Forget about the half-cocked position unless you intend to carry your 1911 without a round chambered which defeats the purpose of a very well designed pistol.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#7]
No.

The reason you've heard people refer to carrying on half cock, is that those who do not know have carried that way. The same can be said of those who carry with the hammer down on a chambered round. Either is foolhardy at best, and just begs for a negligent discharge.

The half cock safety notch, is misinturpreted by many to be a "safety" to be used in carrying. It is in fact a safety device designed to prevent an ND should the hammer somehow become inadvertantly disengaged from full cock.

DO NOT CARRY IN THIS CONDITION, OR WITH THE HAMMER DOWN ON A LIVE ROUND.

Either cocked and locked, or (gulp....) hammer on an empty chamber.

C&L is the true way of the 1911
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
1911 = Cocked and Locked.  End of story.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no good reason to carry it at 1/2 cock.

Just carry C&L and stop all this worrying over something that's not a problem.

C&L has worked fine for going on 100 yrs.

1911 = Cocked and Locked. End of story.

Big +1
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:28:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I am new to the 1911. Just got one last week. I am unfamiliar with the weapon so I am carrying it with the chamber empty and cocked and locked. After training more with it at the range I will then feel safer carrying with a round in the chamber.

I NEVER .... EVER carried my G17 with a round in the chamber even with a holster that covered the trigger. I still will never carry it with a round in the chamber. I have owned it over 5 years and still do not trust its "Saftey". I do love it anyway though.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to get a carry weapon with a real saftey.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:10:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I NEVER .... EVER carried my G17 with a round in the chamber even with a holster that covered the trigger. I still will never carry it with a round in the chamber. I have owned it over 5 years and still do not trust its "Saftey". I do love it anyway though.

If you are no more confident in you or your chosen weapons capability you might reconsider carrying at all.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#14]
If you are really brave.  You can try with an UNLOADED 1911.  Make sure its cocked and Locked (again UNLOADED).  Now here comes the brave part.  Drop repeatedly on the groud.  See how many times the hammer ever drops.  

I was one of those people afraid to carry cocked and locked, but after doing the above .  I became more confident.

PS.  I DON'T advocate dropping you pride and joy on the ground.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#15]
The only safe modes of a 1911 are:

Hammer down on an empty chamber

or

"Cocked and Locked"

Our judges will also accept "Loaded, cocked, and pointed at a target"  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I am new to the 1911. Just got one last week. I am unfamiliar with the weapon so I am carrying it with the chamber empty and cocked and locked. After training more with it at the range I will then feel safer carrying with a round in the chamber.

You should try getting some DECENT training.  It will change your outlook completely.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should try getting some DECENT training.  It will change your outlook completely.

It would seem that even mediocre training would help some at this point...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:39:37 AM EDT
[#18]
NO

YES its safe

1911=C/L
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Aside from everything else that has been said (and all of it correct), there is another problem with half cock... at least on a Springfield.  When in the half cock position, the thumb safety can not be engaged.  You can, however, puress the trigger and get the hammer to fall the remaining distance to the firing pin.  This probably would not set off a primer, but it might.  So, you have no thumb safety and the trigger can release the hammer.  This is just a bad idea.  The half cock notch is only to catch the hammer if somehow, the primary cocking hooks broke and allowed the hammer to fall without the trigger being pressed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
is it safe or not?

HELL NO !

it is NOT safe.

On a 1911 without a firing pin block a blow to the hammer could shear the half cock notch and cause the weapon to discharge.

On 1911's with a firing pin safety you run the risk of a Negligent Discharge just getting the hammer down to the half cock position.

Can't stress enough what SGB just said.

Let me stress it some more.

A friend of mine was being shown a .45 by someone who believed half cock was safe. This guy handed it to my friend and told him to pull the trigger to prove it wouldn’t go off. My friend did it and shot a hole in the floor.

That wouldn’t bad too bad except that he was in a second story apartment at the time. The bullet missed hitting a man downstairs by inches.

This happened in a northern city with strict gun control laws. All three people decided it was best just to patch up the damage and say nothing, so no one went to jail or got sued. But just a few inches and a very understanding neighbor were all that saved my friend from spending a few years in prison.

Better to carry it fully cocked and know it’ll go off if you pull the trigger than carry it at half cock and not be sure.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#21]
On my Springfield just as you pull the hammer back it will click into a position in the middle of half cock and the hammer being completely down. When it's in this position you can pull the trigger. What is the purpose of this position?????
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
1911 = Cocked and Locked.  End of story.

People that carry them otherwise should be bitch-slapped HARD and their gun taken away from them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You shouldn't do anything half cocked.

now you tell me
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I always carry cocked and locked. To me that is the only safe way.
The man that invented the Detonics compact did not like to carry his that way. He carried his with   t  he hammer down over a loaded chamber. That is why the rear sight is as far forward on the slide that it is. Since the firing pin does not protrude through the slide and contact the primer he considered it safe. Personally I don't

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top