Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 9:34:30 AM EDT
So I'm about ready to install some Novak sights, yet I'm having a difficult time figuring out which height I need for the front sight.  is it really as simple as selecting the same height as the sight which is already on there, or is there a better way to determine?   Kuhnhausen's manual states that "It is difficult" to pic when you're talking about an adjustable rear sight, yet he does not talk at all about selecting that height.  any links for more reading or answers?  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not one of those people concerned with getting a perfect front sight height, as I'm happy with anything about 2 inches up or down at 25 yards.  However, for those of my friends who have to have it as close to spot on as possible, I receommend one of two things.

I'll get a front sight blank, and have them shoot it while filing it down to their perfect height, and then order one as close to that measurement as possible.  Or, I'll do the same, then order another sight blank, mill it down, and have a tritium tube installed.  The latter gets kind of pricey, but it's the best way to get it perfect.

More to the point of your question, if you have a Novak on the rear, and it was machined properly, it will be at the same height or close to the same height at a factory Colt or Springfield sight, and if it shoots spot on for elevation, then all you need to do is measure your front sight height and order one close to that.  Just realize that when the Novak front is installed, the directions call for a small flat to be milled before cutting the dovetail.  It specifies an approxiamte width, but the depth usually turns out to be about .005".  That's why the .190" is the most popular Novak front, as the net height ends up being about .185", which is standard.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much Hobbs for answering my question.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top