Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/7/2006 9:17:40 AM EDT
i was looking at a 1911 in a pawn shop locally - Essex frame (# 194 on it) and an Ithaca slide.

seems nice and tight - no function problems noted.

the frame finish is a little rough around the trigger guard area - almost a pitted or just poorly machined look and the A1 reliefs are not machined as cleanly as i would like. the finish is good though.

any ideas on a price? they had too much on it IMHO: $759.

whats a good offer or is it worth even considering it? looking for a truck gun mostly.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:37:07 AM EDT
I love seeing Essex framed guns listed at outrageous prices. Unless it was built into a nice carry gun by a competent smith, I would say what you described is worth about $300. When I see stuff like that in a gun store, that means I'm walking right back out and never going back.

Basically, consider Essex frames to be the same as Auto Ordnance. A truck gunshould not be much more than $400 tops. $759 for a $300 gun is crazy. If pawn shops there are anything like here, you might consider offering a much lower amount. On a side note, Essex frames usually have A1 relief cuts that do not extend very far back.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:58:14 PM EDT
WAY to much, Hobbs is correct in that it's WORTH about 3 to 350. However, he'll unfortunately get more for it with a GI slide. In the end, unless he finds a real sucker, he'll probably get right around 5 to 550 for it. There is just to many people who want a sorta USGI 1911, and if they know about Ithica as a manufacturer and not much else they'll buy it. I did not spend that much for a papered and boxed REAL USGI Ithica. Save your money and keep looking. You will find one sooner or later that is worth the coin.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:18:52 PM EDT
A WWII era Ithaca that's most or all correct could be had for $759.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:45:09 PM EDT
Jason has told me I could get that Ithaca for $600, out the door. I passed as well(after I offered him $400). Archdale Ammo and Arms has a refinished 1942 Colt that they're asking $500 for. It was overpolished and the front strap looks like it was checkered with a chainsaw, but they acted like they would take $400 for it. I think it would make a great truck gun.
Top Top