Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 7:47:21 PM EDT
I managed to sneak out of work early to shoot my brand new S&W 1911PD and I figured I would write a mini-review of it.

What I like:
1.  This gun was accurate out of the box.  Line up the three dots and go to town!
2.  Unlike my Glock 21, this gun just seems "natural" when it comes to aiming and firing
3.  Unlike my Glock 21, I was actually able to hit my paper target where I intended to with the first round.  It took me forever to get used to shooting that freaking Glock 21 because I was always aiming it WAY too low.
4.  Like all 1911s, it is beautiful.  I can't say the same about my bulky, buldging, ugly Glock!
5.  I only had time to put 100 rounds through it AND I did not experience one single FTF.  The Glock has only jammed once on a bad reload due to a buldged case neck.  As a result of that incident, I don't shoot reloads unless I am the one reloading them!

What I don't like about the S&W 1911PD:
It is a 1911, what is not to like?  I guess I will say the external extractor which keeps it from being true to the 1911 roots, but that is the only negative.  As long as it works, I don't care!  Now, I am going to have to shoot the hell out of it to see if it reveals something I don't like
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Some pics would be good.  Sounds like a good day at the range.  Did you shoot ball only or were there some HP in the mix?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Some pics would be good.  Sounds like a good day at the range.  Did you shoot ball only or were there some HP in the mix?

I only shot ball today.  I hope I can get away from work enough so I can put 300 rounds through it this week, then I am going to experiment with some JHP.  I have some leftover golden sabers that I need to shoot up because they are several years old and have been carried for Self Defense purposes for the past three years.  Currently, I am using Corbon +P JHP in my Glock 21 but I am leaning towards some Pow'RBall for the 1911PD.

Here it is pictured with my Pro-Tech Auto Knife and a few mags

Before you ask, the Pro-Tech knife was a gift from a consultant that I worked with years ago who just so happened to be an Admiral in the Navy!  I helped him out so much, he wanted to get me a unique gift to pay me back and the knife was the "unique" gift!

EDIT:  I can't believe I owned so many different Glocks over the years.  I always wanted a 1911, but never purchased one.  Now, I plan on having four or five before the year is over
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:43:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the range report. O by the way thats a very nice looking handgun
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:25:24 AM EDT
[#4]
..........did someone say    "glock' ???            
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
..........did someone say    "glock' ???            

It is official!  My Glock is now deemed to be treated as the proverbial red-headed stepchild.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Glocks are funny that way...  Beat them, drown them, bury them, whatever you want, and they keep on going "Bang!"  My G-19 is the most reliable gun I've ever owned, and consequently, the one I pack around all the time.  I shoot a 1911 a bit better, but it's a seamless transition from one to the other.  Of the 4 glocks I've owned, I've had 1 failure to feed which was a .40 reload that was so out of spec it wouldn't go into the chamber.  I prolly have 25k rounds total through these 4 glocks, and I only rarely clean them unless I'm packing one, in which case it gets cleaned every few hundred rounds.  That being said, the 3 1911's I've owned/own were nearly as dependable, but not nearly as tolarant of grime and abuse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top