Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/6/2006 4:54:01 AM EDT
So heres the deal.
Im waiting for the state to send my CHL, so in the maen time Ive been thinking 1911 because the Glock 22 is huge.
I want a 1911 that is good, but I dont want to pay Colt or Kimber prices for a carry gun. Saturday I did a comparison of a Springfield and a High Standard. Ive heard the Springfields were good, but when I picked up the High Standard, it looked and felt just like the Springfield. The only difference between the 2 of them that I could tell was $100! The guy behind the counter was even carrying a High Standard and he swore by his. Just between us though, he seemed like a dufus.
So thats my question. Which one to buy?

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:11:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/6/2006 5:12:06 AM EDT by gplg]
If the G22 is too big, by not get a compact or a subcompact? I have both the Glock 23 and Glock 27. The G27 is the perfect size for a carry gun. You can insert the G23 mags into it and have 13 rounds and have a better grip on it.
ETA www.glock.com/40.htm

Since I've never handled a High Standard, let alone heard of them until now, Id say go with a Springfield.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:25:38 AM EDT
The G22 is much WIDER than a 1911. But the length of a 1911 is greater.

Which SPRINGFIELD are you looking at? I'm guessing one of the "G.I." models?

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:54:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gplg:
If the G22 is too big, by not get a compact or a subcompact? I have both the Glock 23 and Glock 27. The G27 is the perfect size for a carry gun. You can insert the G23 mags into it and have 13 rounds and have a better grip on it.

Ive messed with both the compact and sub compact, and I do agree they are both nice, however Ive been wanting a 1911 for a while and this is a good justifyable excuse to get one, so...
And markm, yes it is the Springfield GI model. High Standard calls theirs the G-Man model.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:14:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By idonutn0:

Originally Posted By gplg:

Ive messed with both the compact and sub compact, and I do agree they are both nice, however Ive been wanting a 1911 for a while and this is a good justifyable excuse to get one, so...
And markm, yes it is the Springfield GI model. High Standard calls theirs the G-Man model.

I cant blame you. Im a glock man, but after shooting a few 1911s, I went out and got me one(the trigger is SOOOOOOO much more smoother). I use it as my main carry gun. Colt Govt Series 80. It's big, but I have a great holster for it. I just need to save up some $$ and make some upgrades.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:34:39 AM EDT
Here's the way I understand it but keep in mind that I may not be totally correct.

The highly respected High Standard name was purchased by Mitchell Arms. I believe the guns are being manufactured in the Philipines by Armscor, as with the Charles Daly, Rock Island Armory and other inexpensive 1911's.

I have seen many of these guns and the quality control does not seem to be as inconsistent as in the past. For the money, these can be a good value but are probably not in the same class as the Springfield.

If you want one cheap, buy a Rock Island for less than $300. Personally, I'd stick with the Springfield.
Top Top