Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/1/2006 10:58:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 2:20:33 PM EDT by Msokol13]
Glad to join the crew.

This is my first 1911 EVER. I have since I was 16 shot nothing but Glocks. I still like glocks.....but, uhhh...Move over. This thing gives me a hard-on it is so beautiful.

Picked her up about an hour ago.

Colt 1911 Commander Lightweight. Price was $899 + tax. I have purchased many guns from the Scottsdale Gun Club and they sold it to me for $906.84 cash. I'm not sure if this is a good price or not but I like the service there...the guys are top-notch and as kind as can be.

Thanks Scottsdale Gun Club.

P.S. Like I said this is my FIRST 1911. Anything I should know of that might harm this gun that I do on a regular basis with my Glocks....I have heard that you should never let the slide slam shut...true?
Thanks

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:33:30 PM EDT
It's OK to buy a gun because it's pretty. Just remember what to grab when the SHTF.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:39:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:40:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 12:41:24 PM EDT by SGB]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:54:45 PM EDT
Very nice, I don't see as many of those around as some of the other models. I'd be sorely tempted to buy one if I saw one lying under glass. But, MUST resist, no guns for awhile..........self imposed exile from buying.

Of course, that'll last til about the second I see something I "have" to have. It will probably have a pony on the side. [Opens another bottle of Kolt Koolaid]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:06:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 2:13:57 PM EDT by danpass]

Originally Posted By Msokol13:
Glad to join the crew.

<snip>

P.S. Like I said this is my FIRST 1911. Anything I should know of that might harm this gun that I do on a regular basis with my Glocks....I have heard that you should never let the slide slam shut...true?
Thanks

Best not to let the slide slam shut on an empty chamber (for any gun/rifle really).

WWB 230FMK from Wally World works just fine (kinda dirty, but thats okay )

Try out several hollowpoints then pick one. Gold Dot, Ranger, one other (I forget)

Enjoy

eta: Make sure the rails have at least some lube
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:08:07 PM EDT
You gotta figure that the slide "slamming shut" happens every time you pull the trigger on a live round, so that's no issue.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:21:46 PM EDT
added a couple more pics. I think the wood handgrips are gonna have to go.

Any suggestions on replacement ones? Does the commander use the standard full-size grips?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:27:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kcobean:
You gotta figure that the slide "slamming shut" happens every time you pull the trigger on a live round, so that's no issue.

"slamming the slide shut" empty is not the same as with a round in the breech..there is a difference, at least from what I understand which isnt much
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:31:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:

Originally Posted By triburst1:
It's OK to buy a gun because it's pretty. Just remember what to grab when the SHTF.

.... the Colt of corse.

RIGHT! THE COLT AR!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:34:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:42:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:46:21 PM EDT

This is the 1911 Discussions Forum isn't it?........................... Yep sure is

Then we shouldn't be talking about SHTF weapons!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:49:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 2:51:06 PM EDT by markm]

It also shows a complete lack of respect for the firearm.

In most cases, yes. But when you're performing double feed malf drills, you are to give the slide two brisk racks to make sure you've cleared all rounds from the weapon.

So you're essentially dropping the slide on an empty chamber at least once per drill.

I thought it was only the GOLD CUP DELTA ELITE pistol that would be harmed by this. NO?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:58:10 PM EDT
You know what I really hate?

­

The fact that .45 ammo doesn't go for $12/100 like the 9mm.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:00:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 3:16:20 PM EDT by SGB]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:12:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Msokol13:
added a couple more pics. I think the wood handgrips are gonna have to go.

Any suggestions on replacement ones? Does the commander use the standard full-size grips?

Great lookin' Commander!

Yep it has full size grips. From what I've been reading, it seems like the two most popular grips these days are Gunners and VZ. Just got a set of Gunners for my (delivered any day now ) Desert Warrior. I'll be getting some VZ stocks for a future .45 (the Springfield Loaded parkerized's wood grips simply feel/look too good to replace!).

T Bone (Detroit)
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:23:37 PM EDT
You heard right. Spring rate and stripped round time the slide.
Keep the rails clean and oiled, especially wearing in. Stainless and some sort of nickle together-
This is a nice purchase. Mine like the colt mags with wilson followers. Ball ammo. I never fret.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:26:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 3:31:24 PM EDT by MonkeyGrip]
Excellent choice.

If only others were as wise as you, we wouldn't have to waste so much valuable time answering to whining about problems with "my snakeskin Kimber this..., my Brazillian Springfield that...", etc.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:41:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ALAN308:
You heard right. Spring rate and stripped round time the slide.
Keep the rails clean and oiled, especially wearing in. Stainless and some sort of nickle together-
This is a nice purchase. Mine like the colt mags with wilson followers. Ball ammo. I never fret.

Not nickel, that is an anodized Aluminum frame, SS slide. Same exact color difference as my SS LW Defender. I just use FP10 or something like that on the rails. The galling problem was on the early SS guns and has not been an issue for many years. I would much prefer the wood grips, especially for CCW, shoot it a bit first before you go changing them out.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:52:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By triburst1:

Any idiot with a gun can put a zombie down, so your might as well look good doing it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:34:24 PM EDT
i think it looks great the way it is.
but, if you must change the grips i'll take the old ones!Keith
Top Top