Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/29/2006 8:31:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2006 8:36:52 PM EDT by transposed2TN]
I've been wanting to get a 1911 for some time now, however the price and limited capacity have been a deterrant. So I thought I might get some input from you guru's on whether there are any 1911's out there which have what I'm looking for.

I don't have a problem paying a reasonable price for an exceptional firearm, however some of the firearms I've priced are closer to extortion than anything else. Kimber, though slightly pricy seems to reflect value vs. price well. Are there any other companies out there that you feel compare?

Accuracy and reliability are a must. Aside from look and ergonomics, these are some of my main attractions to the 1911, I want something which will function flawlessly and hit dead on at 25+ yards in 50 years. Something my children can inherit and covet. Which models priced from $500-$1,500 would you recommend? Price wise, less is always better unless the accuracy and reliability gained outweigh the cost.

What models are available that have 10+ rounds? I looked at the Springfield G.I. High Capacity Model but when priced against their other models, I have to wonder about what it might be lacking in to justify the price difference. Have any of you had experience with them? What are your thoughts on their accuracy and reliability?

Lastly, what are your thoughts on .40 vs .45? I'm very fond of the .40's ballistics and capabilities. Do you feel the .45 is inherently more accurate or in some way justifies the smaller round capacity or loss of velocity when compared to the .40? What do you feel are the tradeoffs and adventages?

Which of the models do you own, prefer, or want? Why?

Thanks for the insight.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:34:50 PM EDT
in that price range: Springfield Armory Mil spec less than $500.00
Colt 70 $800.00
Kimber Warrior $1000.00
Used Willson QCB $1500.00
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:47:36 PM EDT
Ok keep in mind these are just my opinions based on what I like and have used. 1911 owners’ opinions will vary from maker to maker but we all love the 1911! I will attempt to answer some of your questions without being too vague. And this is just my opinion as I stated….others will say different things but listen to their opinions too!

Q: Are there any other companies out there that you feel compare?
A: I’d say you would need to compare different models between makers than just comparing companies. Example: I have a Les Baer Custom Carry 5 inch that cost around $1700. A buddy of mine has a Kimber that is just as accurate as my $1700 gun. (In fairness I traded for it, I didn’t pay $1700!) His gun was like $700. He did a considerable amount of work to his Kimber to customize it. My Baer’s fit is much tighter, better finish, yadda yadaa but nothing wrong with his gun. What I do is search the net on 1911 models and read reviews and talk to owners of what I am looking at on boards and that helps me quite a bit.

Q: Which models priced from $500-$1,500 would you recommend?
A: I’d say look at SA and maybe Kimber. Unless you have the money to spend I would buy a good quality 1911 like a SA or something. Don’t go over the top until you know you like it. You can drop $1200 or $1300 on a high end SA but you may not need it.

Q: What models are available that have 10+ rounds? Have any of you had experience with them? What are your thoughts on their accuracy and reliability?
A: Para Ordnance makes several high cap 1911s that I have heard great things about. I hear they work fine and are as accurate as most 1911s. I don’t know what other makers there are that are 1911s that are high cap. No, I have not shot a Para but ask around. I have 10 round CM Powermags I can use in my 1911s that are fine. Stick out about an inch and a half but I can still conceal it.

Q: Lastly, what are your thoughts on .40 vs. .45?
A: .40 is an OK round in my book but compared to the .45 ACP round? I will take the .45 ACP any day over the .40. For me I would use the .40 round in a smaller package like in a Kahr MK40 if I need a tiny CCW. Don’t get me into ballistics on these rounds. I am sure someone else can answer that. I just prefer .45. If you are getting your first 1911 I’d say stick with the .45 caliber.

Q: Which of the models do you own, prefer, or want? Why?
A: I have a Les Baer Custom Carry as I said above. Why? It’s a quality 1911, it is way more accurate than I am, and I got a hell of a deal on it! I also have a SA Champion SS Loaded 4 inch. Why? I like SA, wanted a shorter barrel but with a full size frame, its stainless, and again I got a good deal on this gun as well.

I would ask what are you using this for? CCW? Home defense? Target? All of the above? What features do you want? Answering that will help you really narrow down your search. Sorry if I rambled. I hope something I said helped a little. I will say that people on here are awesome and very knowledgeable and helpful so keep asking questions!

JP
DFW, TX
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:21:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:27:39 AM EDT
High capacity 1911's are made by Para ordinance, Dan Wesson, and Kimber. Of the three, Para is the most mature high-capacity design. the Para and Kimber are both accurate with 2.5 to 3 inch groups at 25 yards. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the Dan Wesson. If you take out the high-capacity requirement (1911's aren't about spraying alot of lead), then the field opens up quite a bit. RRA, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Kimber Warrior, Springfield TRP or a nice semi-custom pistol. Also, no 1911 will hit 'dead on' at 25 yards. There is no ammo that is that consistent. 2 inches is about as good as it gets and 2.5 to 3 inches is very acceptable.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:30:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:
As Close as you're gonna get.........based on your criteria.

Rock River Arms Basic Carry

www.rockriverarms.com/images/pbc.gif

thats a nice weapon for a basic carry
Top Top