Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/28/2006 4:48:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 5:17:00 AM EDT by hobbs5624]
This is not a WTS ad. If this is out of place or a CoC violation, please trash it.

I'm gauging interest in a Kimber, or more to the point, wondering what a fair price would be. I'm thinking of selling this gun, but I don't want to ask an unrealistic price. It's a Classic Custom, pre series II. Except for the bushing, mag release, and firing pin stop, it's been de-MIMed. It has the following new parts:

-Novak black rear and black front sights
-Ed Brown firing spring plug
-Gun Runners barstock recoil spring guide, GI length
-Brownells Pro-Springs by Wolff throughout
-Wilson Bulletproof barstock extractor
-Wilson barstock hammer
-Wilson Bulletproof barstock ejector
-Ed Brown Ambi safety
-EGW slide stop
-Spare Colt sear from old series 70 gun (pre MIM)
-Briley barstock disconenctor
-Greider trigger, solid, medium LOP
-Les Baer mainspring housing
-Kings Super Hi-Hold plain pad beavertail
-Gunner grips

The cost of these parts was $286.79 wholesale, and $366.41 retail, without shipping. Above this, I dehorned the pistol, did a trigger job, tuned and polished the extractor, profiled the face of the ejector, re-contoured the frame for the beavertail, trimmed the ambi safety, shortened the slide stop pin flush with the frame and countersunk the pin hole on the right side, polished the feedramp and barrel throat, and will be rebluing it. The gun cost me $600.

My question is this. If you were browsing the EE and saw this gun, would $900 seem to be a fair price? I would be just short of breaking even (with shipping and miscellaneous costs of shop supplies), and the end user would get a pretty nice Kimber that needs nothing, except maybe that bushing and FP stop. Or, would $940 seem fair with those things replaced? I realize that one usually loses money on custom mods, but these are all well thought out mods that most would like, and the buyer gets all work free plus parts at wholesale. I'm trying to trim the herd, and this is the most bare bones 1911 I have other than project 1911s. This is a pic of the gun prior to the slide stop being done, and in the white.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:49:05 AM EDT
tis banging, i would say 800-850
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:08:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:09:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:
$900 would seem more than Fair

I tend to agree, but would say $940 with the other parts replaced as stated.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:46:57 AM EDT
I agree with SGB that $900 is more than fair for the buyer. However, I disagree that $900 is more than fair for the seller. You have seriously good 1911 skills and your time and good work are a marketable product. Don't under rate yourself and give your work away. I think you should ask a minimum of $1050 to $1100 with a buyer satisfaction warranty.

Take care and good to see you back. Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:49:59 AM EDT
Top Top