Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 11:32:54 AM EDT
I was wondering if it's possible to buy 1911 lowers and lower only. I have all the parts for the upper (barrel, spring, action blah blah blah) and i was wondering if i'd be able to make a working gun with different factory parts. Ex) I have a Remington Rand upper and put it on a Colt or Springfield Armory lower.
Also, where would i be able to purchase these lowers? Thank you.
-Jon
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have seen under "www.gunbroker.com" that you can buy stripped lowers. If you get one let me know how it looks. I have considered to build one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the running price on both used and new lowers for both Colt and Springfield? Also, are there any other low priced but reliable 1911 companies?
-Jon
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Caspian Arms
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Caspianlink
Rock River Arms link
STI link
Essex link
Sarco Inc  link (not on website, advertised in Shotgun news, unknown quality)
Wilson Combat link
Les Baer link
MCCORMICK link
Nowlin link

I'm sure there are others but this is just a quick list.  Caspian seems to be the frame of choice for custom builds, especially 1911a1s.  You can find used colts and others at gun shows, but I'm unaware of anywhere else online other than the gun auction sites.  I plan on stepping up and building my own in the next year or so, and I'll more than likely buy the Nowlin set since I was more than impressed with their friendliness and willing to answer questions and for that matter volunteered to show me several tricks and tips on top of showing the various angles of the sear engagement under a 25x lens, and they have a great reputation with their barrels and I would doubt their frames are of any less quality.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
for the Caspain owners. Is there a difference between the Officer, Gov, and Commander Size? Will they fit the Remington Rand Uppers?
-Jon
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=42955107 double stars any good? I'm trying to look for something that doesn't have to be fitted, or is that a bad choice
-Jon
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
It's not so bad.

File. Sand. Buff. Polish. Shoot. Repeat.

Build a 1911 and it will truly be your gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top