Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/22/2006 8:51:57 AM EDT
And is it worth it ?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:09:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2006 9:21:43 AM EDT by DocGun]
Yes. But IMHO get at least their "mid-grade" 1* Enhanced. Which 1911 are you sending them? Also call first to check on turnaround time. If you let "us" know which 1911 you plan on sending "we" may have some additional suggestions. (Sheesh, 2 more hours to kill until the Playoffs start.)
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:30:31 AM EDT
Depends on what you want. I can tell you that Ted Yost does excellent 1911 work, and even though he isn't the one actually working on the 1* guns they are made under his direction. I have yet to hear anyone complain about their 1* gun. If the package suits your needs, go for it- I don't think you will be disappointed in the quality of the work, and the turnaround time for a 1* package is going to be much less than many other gunsmiths. I would agree with DocGun- pay the extra money and get the 1* Enhanced. In my experience if you are going to shoot a 1911 a lot, the beavertail grip safety makes it much more comfortable. On a pure carry gun it's not necessary for me- I find that the standard Colt commander grip safety (narrow tang) works just fine for a gun I'm not going to shoot 500 rounds in a session with. But if you're going to spend the money on a package like that, you might as well spend the extra money up front and get the beavertail.

As far as the 1* package itself, it pretty much has everything you need in a carry gun. I have the 20 LPI serrations on the frontstrap that come with this package on a LW commander that Ted built, and they give a very secure grip without snagging clothing. Likewise the serrated mainspring housing. The one thing I would add to the package is either a tritium insert in the front sight or Ted's gold line insert- either will make the front sight stand out better.

Only you can decide if the package is what you want, or if it's worth it to you to spend the money. I don't think you can go wrong with the Yost-Bonitz shop, though.
Top Top