Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/21/2006 11:09:13 AM EDT
Immediately after I got my SA GI45 1911 I decided to one day remove the whole ILS system on it. I had this pre -conceived notion that it would somehow compromise the reliability and functioning of the gun. Well I bought parts here and there with that goal in mind. As I get around to removing the ILS I wonder...is my idea based in reality? That the ILS can and does cause mal-functions of the SA 1911's so equipped??

Anyone know of any instances where the ILS caused a FOF?

TIA

Rob
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:22:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2006 11:23:22 AM EDT by die-tryin]
its a 15-35 dollar part (meaing you can change it and if ya dont lke it change it back) , If you have kids around or need it super secure the ILS couldnt be a bad idea. I eliminated mine cuz its not needed IMO, atleast not in my household. I also wanted a FLAT backstrap, not the HUMPED one that came on my SA GI. 45. I think its the idea of it that bugs me more than the actualy part themselves. lol. I have the system in my S&W and Taurus revolvers, never an issue. Id prefer it NOT be there, but im not goin to mess with it on those firearms.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:45:10 PM EDT
If you replace it with quality parts, it should lead to more reliability. The ILS is just one more thing that might break on the pistol.

One thing that you will notice is an improvement in the trigger. Since you are taking out their extra heavy ILS mainspring and replacing it with a stock 23# or reduced power 20 or 19# spring it makes the trigger lighter and smoother.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:50:31 AM EDT
I forgot about the trigger improvement factor. I'll probably will change it out just for that reason.

Thanks for the help.
Top Top