Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 9:12:28 AM EDT

So, given the introduction of higher-end 1911's being marketed and sold now, with external extractors...so far, it seems the S&W has become very popular, and the Sig..well, it's looking like an also-ran.

I know Sig had a bad first production run, but supposedly that's been fixed. (Anyone confirm or deny that?)

Is the S&W that much better than the Sig? Are the Sigs actually better, but suffer from lack of advertising/word-of-mouth?

I've been tossing around the idea of buying an actual new 1911, and between those two is the pricepoint I'm half-heartedly looking at (a grand or less for a high-quality piece..$800 or less preferred)...not sure there are other 1911 makers with non-MIM parts who make an internal extractored 1911 for that price, with the features I basically need on a 1911 (Beavertail grip safety is almost mandatory, I get horrible hammer bite otherwise; having it de-horned is also a plus, which the Sig is)..

Thoughts?

Yes, I'd like it to be a 'new' 1911; all mine are used It'd be nice to have a factory new specimen that I didn't have to work on.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#1]
This topic has been done a lot on this board - if you do a search for "Sig Revolution", "Sig GSR" and SW1911 DK, you will see the prev messages.

I've typed out the same story a few times, so I will keep it short. But briefly, I narroed down my choice between a S&W1911 DK for $899 and a Sig Revolution. Have read a few neg comments about it on the sig forum website, and when I finally got my hands on  a Sig revolution, I was not impressed. The sights were a bit misshaped on the 1 I saw, and I hate the design of the grip sfatey - it is a design I have never seen before - it has a strange ridge up th emiddle and is not comfortable.

I had decided to get a SW1911 DK at this coming weekened's gun show, but fell into a discounted new Springfield TRP w/ armory Kote at the local shop in Dec, so the whole decision didn't matter anymore.

Anyway, that was my take on the gun.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I think (IMHO) that you'll find more and more people gravitating toward the S&W 1911s. I have shot one and it was flawless (and I hate external extractors). I have not heard any negative comments about the S&W. After awhile I can see their 1911s becoming as popular as their revolvers if they maintain the quality control which they always have.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two SW1911PDs. One full size, one Commander. I think S&W is making one of the best all around 1911s on the market, at any price. Mine have been 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]
On the advice of a trusted friend (he shoots for a living) I ordered two S&W SW1911PDs.  He told me that he recently had the opportunity to try one and It was the most accurate non-target 1911 pistol he's ever used.  It also functioned 100%  He simply does not give glowing reviews like that.  That prompted me to phone my dealer and order a pair  The bad news is no one is really sure when I will see them.  That's OK, I can wait for quality.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I purchased a used S&W Stainless 5". Rarely used with a tag of $500.00 bucks I couldn't pass it up. Great accuracy and reliablity, out of the box. Magazines work just fine. I shoot Federal 230 Grain FMJ and CCI Blazer of the same weight. No problems.
Don't know much of the SIG 1911 so I couldn't make an honest comparison. External extractor not a big deal for me...............it works !

Good luck with your decision. Good shooting to all !
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have owned many, many 1911s.  The latest one I bought is a S&W 1911PD.  I have to say that the quality is one of the best for an out of the box 1911 that I have seen in a long time.  I agree with other post that if Smith & Wesson continues to hold their Quality Control they will emerge as a major player in the 1911 market.  They really are finished out like "in the old days".  I don't really care for the external extractor either, but as mentioned it works perfectly so far.  JD
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#7]
the SW 1911 SC/PDs are great for the cash imo; have seen the GSR, i think that its just another high priced SIG w/ not much to offer over the other 1911 brands

my buddy's SC is nice to shoot, 100% reliable so far

cant wait for my PD to show next week

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:26:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a SW1911Sc and I am thrilled with it. It has been 100% reliable and it is extremely accurate.

It did have a few issues, none of which impeded function in any way. 1st and foremost is the poorly cut crown on the barrel, as in there wasn't one. There is a huge burr left on the muzzle (a byproduct of whaever process they use for rifling). At first this concerned me. Then I shot it and dumped my first 4 magazines into a 2" hole at 25'. This burr is not uncommon, so try to inspect yours before you buy and keep in mind that S&W will fix it free of charge.

The 2nd issue I had was a poorly fit trigger. The trigger pull was exceptable but the trigger was fit so loosely that it was a bit distracting. Luckily any old ape can fit a new trigger. I fit a new trigger and now I am head over heels for this firearm.

The Sc or PD models are an absolute joy to carry. I'm not sure how I got along without Scandium.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the input...seems a lot of people went with the S&W

I'm going to check them both out...the local range has both of 'em for rental. I'm a Sig snob, quite honestly (And a Colt snob, so relax)..so I'm leaning towards the Sig. But, I'll have to check them both out now before I do anything rash...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I wrote about my experience when it happened last November, but here's a recap. I went to my favorite store with every intention of trading for a new S&W 5"PD for a new ccw piece. While there, I say the first Sig Revolution I had seen in person. Had him get it out, and well, that Revolution has been my ccw ever since. The Smith was a very nice gun, and I was drawn to the lighter weight of it's Scandium frame. But the Sig just had a great "feel" tp it. For $150 more than the price of the Smith, I got a 1911 with a checkered frontstrap, night sights, and no MIM parts. The fit and finish is great, and it has been dead reliable with ball (of course), Gold Dots, and Hydra Shoks. People say you have to see the Sig in person to know if it's built right. I saay that is true of every gun. I personally would never buy any gun sight unseen. There are too many variables in fit, finish, and mechanical operation. But I will say if you handle a Revolution that feels as good as the one I bought, I bet you'll be a Sig 1911 owner too. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I was looking at a Sig 1911 just a week ago though, and the guys at my gun shop, even though they could have made a lot more money off of me, said that they would stay away from Sig 1911s. They didn't have a high opinion of them at all. The other shop I go to won't even stock them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the input...seems a lot of people went with the S&W

I'm going to check them both out...the local range has both of 'em for rental. I'm a Sig snob, quite honestly (And a Colt snob, so relax)..so I'm leaning towards the Sig. But, I'll have to check them both out now before I do anything rash...

If they have the SW1911PD def. give that a try.  Love mine ;)  I personally like the looks of Sigs but the GSR just looks.. hrmm, how shall I say this.  It looks... wrong?  *shrug*  

The PD comes out of the box with so much old school class with new school make-up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top