Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 7:48:06 AM EDT
Hi guys, I saw a Les Bear TR special 1911 at a gun store for  about $1500.  The gun was used but in good condition.  I liked it alot, but I wanted to know is that price too much for that gun, being that its not new.  My gun guru friend saw it too and looked at it aswell and said it was a nice solid gun.  What do yall think?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#1]
To much for a used one. You can find them cheaper by 200-300 bones.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto on too much for a used one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Was it hard chromed with the 1.5" group guarantee?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Your guru friend is correct, it is a nice solid gun.  It's just priced too high.  Now go back and talk 'em down!!!  Take a printout of all these posts.  That'll show that dealer!

Woody
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#6]
You will have to go online, shop around, and possibly wait a while for a cheaper one to come along.

Depending on how many TRSs come through your area at any given time, that might not be a bad price to pay given that you can inspect it firsthand.  

I have never seen a Baer of any sort sold used around here.  I don't doubt a few come through, but they don't sit around long.

I would try to talk him down a couple hundred though.  You can get them cheaper on Gunbroker but you might have a wait for a reasonable price on one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:38:48 AM EDT
[#7]
As stated before, what options did it have?  Hard chroming is an expensive proposition from Les Baer.  The 1.5" gaurentee is also extra cash.  Does it have some sort of fancy-schmancy grips?  Aftermarker sights?

For a used, blued TRS with no 1.5" gaurentee, $1500 is a bit too much.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#8]
No from what I saw the gun is a blued TRS 1911 with night sights, and a match grade barrel. It also has  the red wood grips engraved with the trs logo.  I dont know if it comes with 3 mags, box and papers, or as is, I didnt ask.  Would Match grade barrel=1.5 shot acc?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No from what I saw the gun is a blued TRS 1911 with night sights, and a match grade barrel. It also has  the red wood grips engraved with the trs logo.  I dont know if it comes with 3 mags, box and papers, or as is, I didnt ask.  Would Match grade barrel=1.5 shot acc?

No, all Baers come with match barrels.  Baer tries to get his standard guns to shoot 3" at 25 yards.  The 1.5" guarantee is an extra $300.   If your gun doesn't specifically say it has the 1.5 guarantee, assume it lacks it.  The factory may tell you if you give them the SN.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#10]
This gun is in FW right?  If it's the one I'm thinking, they had two of them for sale back before xmas.  One sold right away and the other has been sitting there since.  Looked to be in decent shape.  The barrel looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in several hundred rounds.  Hopefully they cleaned it up after I said something.  Nobody there seemed to know how many rounds had been shot through it...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This gun is in FW right?  If it's the one I'm thinking, they had two of them for sale back before xmas.  One sold right away and the other has been sitting there since.  Looked to be in decent shape.  The barrel looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in several hundred rounds.  Hopefully they cleaned it up after I said something.  Nobody there seemed to know how many rounds had been shot through it...

Wow you nailed it!  Its the one at CTD.  Do you know if that gun has the 1.5 '' shot acc. gurantee?  I really want it but I want more info on it!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#12]
No, I'm not sure.  Might ask if they can provide any info related to whoever sold them the gun and try finding out that way or perhaps they can follow up on it for you.  There was one for sale on the EE the other day.  I'd think that if you kept looking, you could probably find a better deal on one.

FWIW - I wound up with a RRA Basic limited and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]
the 1.5" guarantee is for accuracy at 50 not 25 yards. and for almost all purposes short of  bullseye competition you will never be able to use the extra margin of accuracy so unless you get a good deal on a used one ( I did used 1.5" premier II) i would go for the standard 3". By the way i remember seeing in print that since the 1.5 package does at least in theory make the gun less reliable, clint smith would not allow baer to do 1.5" option on a trs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
the 1.5" guarantee is for accuracy at 50 not 25 yards. and for almost all purposes short of  bullseye competition you will never be able to use the extra margin of accuracy so unless you get a good deal on a used one ( I did used 1.5" premier II) i would go for the standard 3". By the way i remember seeing in print that since the 1.5 package does at least in theory make the gun less reliable, clint smith would not allow baer to do 1.5" option on a trs.

Oh ok thank you I didnt know that, that is great info for me since I am looking around.  :)
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:49:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
the 1.5" guarantee is for accuracy at 50 not 25 yards.

thansk for the correction, I couldn't recall at the time I posted it, and forgot to double check later.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]
The TRS did not come from Baer w the accuracy guarantee. I own 2 of these, neither if mine need it. They shoot great, and are a solid 1911. If  you can get the s/n off the gun call LB and they can check to see if the accuracy package was installed. They are really good about that.  If they want 1500 used, you can pony up about 150.00 more and get a nib that hasnt been fingered up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The TRS did not come from Baer w the accuracy guarantee. I own 2 of these, neither if mine need it. They shoot great, and are a solid 1911. If  you can get the s/n off the gun call LB and they can check to see if the accuracy package was installed. They are really good about that.  If they want 1500 used, you can pony up about 150.00 more and get a nib that hasnt been fingered up.

Really $1650? Straight from LB?  Hmmmmm.  I think I will save up and get it through them then.  Who knows maybe I will get a hard chrome one ;)  Well I called and they said that the gun only comes with one mag, and I believe its not the original because the man said he will find one and throw it in with the gun purchase. I dont know, $1,499 + tax for 1 used/dirty TRS with one mag....ehh.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Like I mentioned earlier, the TRS at CTD is not a very good deal.  If you're going to drop 1650, take a look at the RRA elite commando or the basic limited.   Nobody local has the RRA's to look at, but I've got one and usually try to hit up Alpine once a week if you want to see/fire one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Like I mentioned earlier, the TRS at CTD is not a very good deal.  If you're going to drop 1650, take a look at the RRA elite commando or the basic limited.   Nobody local has the RRA's to look at, but I've got one and usually try to hit up Alpine once a week if you want to see/fire one.

Hey thanks for the offer, I have been wanting to go to Alpine.  I will plan to make a trip out there this comming week, before I go back to work.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#20]
drop me a pm and let me know when you go, maybe I'll head out there too
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:01:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a LB TRS and I had nothing but problems and LB gave me BAD cust serv. I switched to a Springfield Custom TRP Professional and it is a way nicer 1911. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I paid $1590 for mine brand new from Sporting Arms including shipping.  I think the TRS is the best bang for the buck out of the semi-custom 1911s available now.  I've heard Les might not repair a Baer at no cost if you are not the original owner so it makes more sense to buy a new one.  I considered a RRA because I have one of their ARs but I didn't want to wait and it was 6 to 8 months at the time.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top