Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/12/2006 9:05:44 PM EDT
I want a 45 1911 but I dont know which one. I was looking to spend less than $750.00 Total but prefer to keep it less than $600.00. I know the old addage you get what you pay for this will pretty much be a fun toy, range gun. But in the case of SHTF it might be used. I am brand new to 1911's and dont know which ones are good. I am reading all of this stuff about MIM and how some say its OK for some parts and others disagree to both extremes of the sprctrum. So I am a little cornfused as to which one to buy. I dont CCW because I just avoid those places that you need to be packing. And mostly because of my jobs I'm not allowed to carry there either. So in a nut shell this 45 will pretty much be a fun toy, range gun, plinker. I dont shoot in competitions nor do I now or ever will. I just want to make sure that the gun that I buy isnt a total POS and one that will last me. If MIM is not that bad of a thing which gun should I get I always thought that Kimber was the shit. But as I read some of these threads it appears to me that damn near all of the guts are all made from MIM. But a colt from what I hear is not? And this colt can be had brand new for around $600 OTD? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:17:14 PM EDT
I got a Springfield Mil-Spec for $560 OTD. In CA. Functioned flawlessly, except for the fact that I got horrible hammer bite from it.

They're as budget as you get.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:29:01 PM EDT
This is the gun I was actually thinking about getting but from what I read the whole gun is MIM on the inside.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:51:44 PM EDT
I just bought a new SA Loaded in parkerized finish for under $700. Yeah, it's got MIM parts. If it becomes a problem, or I simply decide to do so, I can change them out at will for tool steel parts. But the gun should function, and reading your first post, it sounds like it'd fit the bill nicely.

I am not sure, but I doubt you'll find a 1911 without MIM in your price range. Does anyone know if the new Colt 70's repro contains MIM parts? I think it can be had in your range as well, but won't have the extras the SA Loaded does. Then again, it's a Colt!

T Bone (Detroit)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:00:33 AM EDT
I would recommend the SA as well. As far as MIM parts....peruse that tacked thread started by Hobbs on top. That should give you an idea and help you make a decision. Good luck on your purchase!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:11:14 AM EDT
If you're not competiting, nor carrying, just a Mil-Spec Springfield is the ticket. You can upgrade later with extended safeties, beavertails, sights and stuff like that if you want, but as it sets, its a great range plinker. The only MIM part that would even concern me would be the extractor. For your use, just wait until it stops working and replace it with a Wilson.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:14:03 AM EDT
I got a 9109L loaded parkerized for $600 + tax. It's a fine piece. Very accurate, Novak night sights, stainless barrel and all the other goodies. I replaced the guide rod and plug with an Ed Brown GI length rod and plug. Added a Hogue grip and now it's my second best shooter. MJD
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:03:56 PM EDT
Springfield Mim-spec
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:05:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:22:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:

Now if you want no MiM you could always order a Springfield PRO, Rock River Arms, Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, Baer or get a Yost #1

or a Sig GSR. I'm not a fan of external extractors, firing pin safeties nor the speed bump grip safety they have, but that's a hell of a gun for the money.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:26:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cliffy109:

Originally Posted By SGB:

Now if you want no MiM you could always order a Springfield PRO, Rock River Arms, Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, Baer or get a Yost #1

or a Sig GSR. I'm not a fan of external extractors, firing pin safeties nor the speed bump grip safety they have, but that's a hell of a gun for the money.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:50:53 PM EDT
btt
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:14:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kevinR:
This is the gun I was actually thinking about getting but from what I read the whole gun is MIM on the inside.

Doesn't matter. If your budget is below $1400, you are going to get MIM parts in an off the shelf gun. No two ways about it.

damian@adcofirearms.com
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:17:04 PM EDT
we have a kimber custom II at the range for 760.00, with internal exactor, good deal? i'm thinking about grabbing it at tax time. discounted of course
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:18:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
I got a Springfield Mil-Spec for $560 OTD. In CA. Functioned flawlessly, except for the fact that I got horrible hammer bite from it.

They're as budget as you get.

The Springfield GI model is even less and they are great pistols!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:30:57 PM EDT
I picked up a used SA Mil-Spec for $400, and found it to work extremely well as a plinker. The sights were fairly good, it was accurate, and fed FMJ and SWC lead which were the only two types I tried. I would highly recomend them!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:43:11 PM EDT
i'd look at a Sringfield Loaded or a Kimber Custom (internal extractor)

maybe used, but definitly look at em
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:03:32 AM EDT
...........go to aim surplus .com......check thier handgun offerings
Top Top