Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 2:51:32 PM EDT
I just finished putting a new mainspring housing on my Springfield GI and while I was ordering parts, I added a new sex of Torix grip screws. While screwing the last one in by hand, I heard a pop. At first I thought the grip had cracked. When I tried to unscrew it, the head came off. Now I have a screw body stuck in the frame. Does anyone have any ideas to help remove this? I don't have a drill press. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no pistolsmith but I believe what I would do in this situation is remove and replace that bushing.

www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=7&Categoryid=12657&categorystring=10613***662***
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Great idea. Thank you. I will try to find one locally before I order one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#3]
and be hyper careful with those bushings. The thread is ultra fine. Very easy to cross thread in the replacement bushing.

I think they can be staked to lock them in after replacement, or use a good red loctite.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Before replacing the bushing, try to "pick" the broken screw out.

Usually, with the head off the screw is under no tension, and you can sometimes pick it out by using a sharp needle-like punch to turn the screw.

Another possibility is to use a jeweler's size screwdriver in a drill press turned by hand as an extractor.

Last resort is to remove the bushing due to the possibility of stripping the frame threads.  Some bushings are staked or are very tight, and you can strip the frame threads.  THEN you got problems.

Try to extract the screw first.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:50:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried and tried to remove the screw without success. I finally just removed the bushing. I then played with it again for a hour and still can't get the damm thing out. I am going to call around today and look for a replacement bushing. Thanks for all you your help!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Remove the grip off of the other side of the frame and using a small drill bit unscrew it from the opposite side.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:00:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Remove the grip off of the other side of the frame and using a small drill bit unscrew it from the opposite side.

Mike

Thanks, I give that a try before I get a new bushing.

ETA: I tried this - ended up just drilling out the screw with a cordless drill untill enough was sticking out the rear for me to grab and turn. Came out clean and the threads to the inside of the bushing are intact. Thanks to everyone!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Since you had removed the bushing I would listen to what cmeyer001 said about using loctite when you re-install it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top