Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/11/2006 5:07:31 AM EDT
I got into a "discussion" with a guy on another board about the use of WOLF handgun ammo. We exchanged jibes about the usual.

I told him I am running a 9mm 1911 with a Nowlin match barrel. This guy told me I should call Nowlin and ask him what he thought about me shooting steel-cased ammo through his barrel.

Well, I called Nowlin Guns yesterday afternoon and spoke to the man himself. He said he can see no reason why I shouldn't use WOLF ammo. He said it will not harm the barrel if I use it, which I already knew.

Even armed with this fact, the dude on the other board says he'll never use "damaging" WOLF ammo in his precious safe gueens. Some minds are impossible to change!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:37:13 AM EDT
I shot close to 15K of Wolf through AKs, ARs, and my 1911s with only 1 FTF. One round of 7.62 had a bad primer. No jams, no horrible results, no ruined guns, no melted goop in the chambers. I'll take any of that old bad Wolf anyone doesn't want and continue to ruin my rifles and pistols. JD
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:57:07 AM EDT
Here's what I posted on the other board. The guy I was responding to said that a gun would be trashed after 20,000 rounds of WOLF. How many guys are ever going to shoot 20K in a lifetime, let alone 20,000 rounds through one gun? Yes, those of us who shoot IPSC and IDPA go through several thousand rounds a year.

Even with all the shooting I do, it'll take me two or three years to shoot 20,000 rounds through my 9mm single stack.

Will WOLF cause excessive wear to the barrel and extractor in 20,000 rounds?

Let's say for the sake of argument that it will. With the price of WOLF ammo as compared to other fodder, the savings are still worth it. Let's compare the two using the Sportsmans Guide website as a source.

CCI Blazer Brass 9mm sells for $6.97 a box.
WOLF 9mm sells for $5.77 a box.

At 50 rounds per box, it'll take you 400 boxes to reach 20,000 rounds of ammo.

So we have $2,788.00 for the Blazer and $2,308.00 for the WOLF. That's a difference of $480.

So if WOLF does wear out your barrel and extractor in 20K rounds, you will have saved enough for a new barrel and extractor and still have money left over to buy more WOLF.

I shoot WOLF all the time in a 9mm 1911. The gun has a custom fit Nowlin barrel. It's got 5,000+ rounds through it with ZERO problems. The bore and chamber are as shiny as the day I bought it. I have yet to break an extractor.

I'd argue that most of the guys here who are bashing WOLF ammo have never tried it.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:01:47 AM EDT
Some people have good luck with Wolf some people don't thats just how life works. I can't get Wolf to cycle in my AR as it is underpowered but Ill use it in my AK's and Romak3 with no questions asked. As far as handguns go Remington 9mm is cheap enuff for me (personally). I don't hate Wolf I just wont use it in all my guns if given a choice.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:14:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrMurphy:
Some people have good luck with Wolf some people don't thats just how life works. I can't get Wolf to cycle in my AR as it is underpowered but Ill use it in my AK's and Romak3 with no questions asked. As far as handguns go Remington 9mm is cheap enuff for me (personally). I don't hate Wolf I just wont use it in all my guns if given a choice.

You need to that AR fixed! What's wrong with you!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:27:10 AM EDT

I can't get Wolf to cycle in my AR as it is underpowered...

When my RRA Entry Tactical was brand new the bolt wouldn't lock open on an empty mag. That cleared up after a few hundred rounds once the recoil spring had worn in a little.

WOLF is aware that some carbines short cycle with their ammo. They are suppposedly going to load their .223 a little hotter to correct this.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:40:16 AM EDT
I went to an INDOOR range that won't let anyone use WOLF while shooting there. They have WOLF KABOOM pictures illustrating the danger.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:53:55 AM EDT
I bet they sell brass and don't want the steel casings cutting into their profits.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:00:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vengarr:
I bet they sell brass and don't want the steel casings cutting into their profits.

Absolutely! I can't tell how many rounds of Wolf I've fired in and my guns, 9mm, 45, 762, 223. That is...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:02:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WolfFox:

Nothing is wrong with me. I CHOOSE NOT to shoot WOLF thru my AR. I shoot SS109 ONLY thru my AR. See? thats what makes America great. Choices.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:11:24 AM EDT

Nothing is wrong with me. I CHOOSE NOT to shoot WOLF thru my AR. I shoot SS109 ONLY thru my AR. See? thats what makes America great. Choices.

I'll shot anything I can get a hold of. My RRA Elite CAR A4 loves Wolf, XM193, M855, it even likes the PD stuff. Ain't America Great!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:12:16 AM EDT

I'll shot anything I can get a hold of. My RRA Elite CAR A4 loves Wolf, XM193, M855, it even likes the PD stuff. Ain't America Great!

Daymn!!! That sounds like great breeding stock - love healthy chillern!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:33:14 PM EDT
Link to similar thread on 1911.com!
1911forum.com
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:02:05 PM EDT
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Don't use the Wolf .308 in your CETME. I wouldn't use it in any firearm with a simuliar action. I do shoot the Wolf through my AR's and AK.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:21:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By colesteele:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Don't use the Wolf .308 in your CETME. I wouldn't use it in any firearm with a simuliar action. I do shoot the Wolf through my AR's and AK.

Why not? I've shot a bunch of it through my V-93.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:16:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

+1
No problems with Wolf in my CETME.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:26:13 PM EDT
Umm any weapon is going to have wear after 20k rounds!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:16:42 PM EDT
My Llama Max-1 loves Wolf, in fact thats all I shoot in it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:25:18 PM EDT
20k through my 1911s is nothing but I doubt wolf will wear it out. I've shot a couple thousand wiht only about 2-3 rounds that had dead primers. Never had one of my pistols malfunction on it. I did have my .45 AR experience a squib load but it popped out and was back in action immediately. I will shoot wolf whenever recovering my brass is a no-go.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:45:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2006 11:46:55 PM EDT by Quien]
If I listened to the naysayers on this board, I'd have never tried Wolf. You gotta admit that 79 bucks for a thousand rounds is a damned tempting price. I have 7 bushies and one RRA. All run great with Wolf, with one exception: my 10.5" LMT upper/bushy lower SBR. The Wolf just doesn't have the juice to cycle it reliably. It devours any other ammo. Wolf is good plinking ammo. If you don't use it, great, more for me!

ETA: Just noticed this is the Handgun Forum...Oops!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:27:07 AM EDT

Using steel or alumnium-cased ammo in any weapon with a fluted chamber is very problematic..

You will damage the flutes, and since the steel and alumnium aren't as soft as brass, there's a very good chance that it will eventually get stuck and rip the rim off on extraction.

This basically means the pre-89 HK rifles and carbines, pre-89 FAMAS rifles, new-made HK style rifles including the CETME, etc...I don't think much else used fluted chambers, hrm.

As far as shooting it out of a 1911...USGI .45 ball in WWII was steel-cased towards the middle-end of the war. It worked fine then, it'll work fine now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:33:23 AM EDT
I run wolf handgun ammo all the time. I like it much better than their rifle ammo. Through my Sig 220 it shoots almost as good as my handloads believe it or not. MJD
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:50:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

Using steel or alumnium-cased ammo in any weapon with a fluted chamber is very problematic..

You will damage the flutes, and since the steel and alumnium aren't as soft as brass, there's a very good chance that it will eventually get stuck and rip the rim off on extraction.

This basically means the pre-89 HK rifles and carbines, pre-89 FAMAS rifles, new-made HK style rifles including the CETME, etc...I don't think much else used fluted chambers, hrm.

As far as shooting it out of a 1911...USGI .45 ball in WWII was steel-cased towards the middle-end of the war. It worked fine then, it'll work fine now.

The Soviet SVT-40 rifle of WWII had a fluted chamber. The Russians used steel copper washed cases for the 7.62x54R cartridge.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:15:14 AM EDT
I always thought that the steel cases were harder on the internal extractors, which is why I avoided it.

on the other hand, all the WWII ball ammo for the .45 was steel cased.....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:36:08 AM EDT
Only problem I every had with WOLF was in my Glock 23. Id have FTE if I didnt clean the barrel often. It runs fine in my ARs, AK and my G27. Havent had a chance to shoot it in my 1911 yet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:26:35 PM EDT

[The Soviet SVT-40 rifle of WWII had a fluted chamber. The Russians used steel copper washed cases for the 7.62x54R cartridge.

There's a reason SVT-40's were largly regarded as POS's

In in-spec fluted chambers, they WILL eventually stick and cause a serious problem. Don't believe me, continue to run steel-cased stuff in fluted chambers...you'll find out the hard way.

Just saying..the original poster is correct. It's not a "wolf" or substandard thing, it's a steel on steel thing. Remember, they're not chrome-lined; they're bare steel, very thin sheets of it at that (the flutes, that is).

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 4:32:02 PM EDT by Melvin_Johnson]

In in-spec fluted chambers, they WILL eventually stick and cause a serious problem. Don't believe me, continue to run steel-cased stuff in fluted chambers...you'll find out the hard way.

Just saying..the original poster is correct. It's not a "wolf" or substandard thing, it's a steel on steel thing. Remember, they're not chrome-lined; they're bare steel, very thin sheets of it at that (the flutes, that is).

Actually, the SVT-40 is a greatly under-appreciated rifle by many US historians. The Germans were pretty fond of it and the design went on to influence things like the SKS and the FN/FAL. It was a good design and worked fairly well for the Soviets in their field of operations. A little too complex for uneducated peasants, perhaps but still a good basic design.

When can I expect to have problems in the V-93? I shoot WOLF in it all the time. And I've got a buddy in Texas who has fired a bunch of WOLF through his genuine HK-91. The last time we spoke, he had not had any troubles.

Edit: Had to fix a "quote" error.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:15:57 PM EDT

Actually, the SVT-40 is a greatly under-appreciated rifle by many US historians. The Germans were pretty fond of it and the design went on to influence things like the SKS and the FN/FAL. It was a good design and worked fairly well for the Soviets in their field of operations. A little too complex for uneducated peasants, perhaps but still a good basic design.

When can I expect to have problems in the V-93? I shoot WOLF in it all the time. And I've got a buddy in Texas who has fired a bunch of WOLF through his genuine HK-91. The last time we spoke, he had not had any troubles.

Edit: Had to fix a "quote" error.

The basic design is ok, that wasn't the problem...workmanship basically did it in...and neither the Siminov nor the FAL have fluted chambers

Basically, the steel will eventually mash the fluting, leading to chambering and extraction problems. Odds are first you'll get some head seperations on extraction, though. It's not a catastrophic "this ammo will blow up your gun in your face" problem, it's a "this weapon wasn't designed to really shoot this type of ammo except in a last ditch effort" kind of problem....

Unfortunatly, of all the BS "Wolf will harm my weapon" stories...the one and only thing where it actually applies to is weapons with a fluted chamber, and it's not strictly a Wolf problem, it's a steel-cased (or alumnium-cased, as in the CCI Blazer line, mostly) problem.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:10:42 AM EDT
Here, I thought this was a 1911 forum.
SGB must be on vacation.

Only shoot Wolf in my AK's or my Glocks when I'm really really poor.
Never had any luck with it any of my 1911's.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:11:14 PM EDT
Vector Arms replies to, "Can I use WOLF in my V-93?"

We don't use Wolf to test fire, we use brass case surplus ammo. The word is that steel case wears out chambers faster than brass and that seems logical. I don't know if it wears out the fluted chambers any faster than the non fluted. I would say after 10 or 20 thousand rounds the steel cases might make a difference but I haven't never seen any testing on the subject.

Rex Merrill,
Vector Arms General Mgr.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:55:44 PM EDT
[quote_Lion_Dog]

I went to an INDOOR range that won't let anyone use WOLF while shooting there. They have WOLF KABOOM pictures illustrating the danger.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/iagree.gif These gun ranges must have signed a pact or something. They all say teh same thing about Wolf ammo. I have shot the 223, 9, 45, 40. All with no problem.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:20:47 PM EDT
I do not shoot wolf in my pistols but only because I can get Independence ammo for the same price as the Wolf at the store I go to and I think it is cleaner than the Wolf but I shoot wolf in my AR and AKs all the time and it would not bother me to shoot it in my pistols either if it was that much cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:31:35 AM EDT
I've used thousands of rounds of both .223 and 45 ACP Wolf (in the past) with no real issues. It is not particularly accurate ammo, and it is filthy, but in a pinch it will work.

That being said, it would not be my first, or second, or third choice. But like I said, in a pinch...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:00:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:49:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/28/2006 5:50:19 AM EDT by 1911builder]

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
I always thought that the steel cases were harder on the internal extractors, which is why I avoided it.

on the other hand, all the WWII ball ammo for the .45 was steel cased.....

No, not all of the WW2 US GI ball ammo was steel cased. Most of it was brass until 1944/45 strategic material shortages. Charles.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:30:33 PM EDT
Why buy a quality barrel, or pistol for that matter, and then run cheap, sub-standard, non-commercial, non SAAMI spec ammo through it? There are much better offerings for not a lot more money.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:48:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Quien:
You gotta admit that 79 bucks for a thousand rounds is a damned tempting price.

where from? best i ever found was about $120/1K. shit $79/1K is cheaper than my reloads.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:26:36 PM EDT
I've had pretty good luck with Wolf in .45, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 9mm Makarov. I don't think I'll
ever buy Wolf 9mm Luger again, though. Most of my 9mm pistols REALLY don't like it. My CZ-52's
and my Tokarev lock up tight with Wolf. Have to POUND the slides open to extract a round.

Sam
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:16:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BrianNH:
Why buy a quality barrel, or pistol for that matter, and then run cheap, sub-standard, non-commercial, non SAAMI spec ammo through it? There are much better offerings for not a lot more money.

Please see this link. WOLF is now importing "better" ammo.

WOLF 2006 catalog
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:20:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BrianNH:

OK, I'll ask, whose?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:34:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lion_Dog:

I have the pics, case, and $100 repair bill from Bushmaster from what wolf 223 did to my AR.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:34:23 PM EDT

That's the situation with one of the indoor ranges in Indy. And the real b*tch of the whole thing is, they'll sell Wolf in their store, but not let you use it on their range.
They sell brass and have a deal with a company that processes it. I'm not to crazy about shooting their much now because I need to start using cheaper ammo.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:36:46 AM EDT
I shoot my pistols quite a bit. I use Wolf and I buy bulk from local shops that load ammo with new components. The only thing I've noticed about it is that it leaves a little more residue on my guns so I clean them a little more thoroughly. It is probably a little harder on the extractor and ejector but those are easy enough to replace. I have put 1200 rounds through my Les Baer since Christmas and 500 of that was Wolf.

Rick
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:39:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PhatForrest:

Originally Posted By Lion_Dog:

I have the pics, case, and $100 repair bill from Bushmaster from what wolf 223 did to my AR.

Only a $100 repair bill from Bushmaster? They must have cleaned it and sent it right back. $100 dollars from most places means that nothing was wrong with the gun and they just took some time to look at it. Not to mention that Wolf ammunition for your AR is exactly 100 dollars cheaper than the next cheapest ammo when buying by the thousand. I would like to know how many rounds you put through the gun before it went kaboom. I have a friend who has shot about 1500 out of his AR without a single FTF or FTE. He has had 2 FTL because of the cheap ass mags he has.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:29:47 AM EDT
Mr. Nowlin is a well respected 1911 smith and has been for quite some time.
I'll respect his word regarding wolf ammo and his barrels....

What did he say about the extractor, ejector and breech face ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:52:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1MissouriMule:

I only asked him about WOLF ammo in his barrels. I'm sure if he had concerns about extractors, magazine feed lips, etc. he would have voiced those concerns.

The gun in question now has 6,500 rounds of WOLF through it and it still runs like it should.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:33:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1MissouriMule:

I only asked him about WOLF ammo in his barrels. I'm sure if he had concerns about extractors, magazine feed lips, etc. he would have voiced those concerns.

The gun in question now has 6,500 rounds of WOLF through it and it still runs like it should.

Nowlin is known for quality, no doubt about that. Yours is a good example of it.

The point of my questions was that most of the problems I have heard about regarding wolf ammo wasn't typically related to the barrels since it's non corrosive and copper jacketed, so I am told.
Also the wolf I have tested was copper jacketed, not copper washed steel, in 9mm & 45.

Chipped extractors, deformed ejectors and scuffed breech faces are the more common problems I have heard about from shooting large amounts of wolf.

I am not a wolf hater by any means. I currently own guns and have sold guns that I sho(O)t wolf in.
I just cannot bring myself, given a choice, to run that stuff through my $900 Kimbers or my WC CQB when I get it.

Hell it's hard telling how many untold thousands of steel cased Millitary Ball all those GI 45's have seen.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:38:57 PM EDT
Get him a box of Tampons and he'll be OK.

I got into a "discussion" with a guy on another board about the use of WOLF handgun ammo. We exchanged jibes about the usual.

I told him I am running a 9mm 1911 with a Nowlin match barrel. This guy told me I should call Nowlin and ask him what he thought about me shooting steel-cased ammo through his barrel.

Well, I called Nowlin Guns yesterday afternoon and spoke to the man himself. He said he can see no reason why I shouldn't use WOLF ammo. He said it will not harm the barrel if I use it, which I already knew.

Even armed with this fact, the dude on the other board says he'll never use "damaging" WOLF ammo in his precious safe gueens. Some minds are impossible to change!

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:21:50 PM EDT
A friend asked me to take him to the range a few weeks ago to help him sight in his new Colt AR.
I set up the sand bags, spotting scope, etc. He pulls out a box of Wolfe ammo and I say "you've got to be shitting me, we're going to see how this guns shoots with that?" Well, 10 minutes later we're in the black shooting 1 inch groups! If I didn't see it, I wouldn't believe it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:31:08 AM EDT

Chipped extractors, deformed ejectors and scuffed breech faces are the more common problems I have heard about from shooting large amounts of wolf.

I am not a wolf hater by any means. I currently own guns and have sold guns that I sho(O)t wolf in.
I just cannot bring myself, given a choice, to run that stuff through my $900 Kimbers or my WC CQB when I get it.

I have a friend who shoots WOLF ammo in his Wilson CQB all the time and, to the best of my knowledge, has never had a problem.

I run WOLF ammo in a number of different firearms all the time and have never scratched a breech face, bent an extractor, etc. All that stuff is Internet B.S.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:19:37 PM EDT

I have a friend who shoots WOLF ammo in his Wilson CQB all the time and, to the best of my knowledge, has never had a problem.

I run WOLF ammo in a number of different firearms all the time and have never scratched a breech face, bent an extractor, etc. All that stuff is Internet B.S.

As I've posted before, I have shot thousands of rounds of Wolf through my AKs, ARs, and 1911s (and I have owned many custom 1911s from "name brand smiths). I have never had an issue. I had one bad primer out of conservatively 15K to 18K rounds. All my rifles and pistols still work as when they were new. Other than one tub of South African, all my ARs have ever had has been Wolf (I have owned/own Colts, Bushmasters, RRA, Oly Arms). They all function fine after many thousands of rounds.

It always amazes me that certain people are quite willing to accept that another country can manufacure high quality firearms (Glocks, SIGs, etc) but we seem unable to accept that other countries might be able to manufacture decent quality ammo.

I still believe that if one is uncomfortable with a certain product then don't use it. As for me, I have had no bad experiences with Wolf and will shoot it as long as I can get it. This is just one of those issues which will not have a final agreement, and there is nothing really wrong with that.

Just my .02. JD

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top