Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/8/2006 5:03:24 PM EDT
thinking about a new project, and i like building firearms.

also, for those who *have* done it or experience with it, how stout are the double star frames? trying to keep my budget around $500
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:27:06 PM EDT
Buy the Kuhnhausen books and read
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:19:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By brian427cobra:
Buy the Kuhnhausen books and read

Any Kuhnhausen book is worth its weight in gold.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:34:36 PM EDT
Depends on how good a job you want to do.

Fitting the thumb safety, grip safety, hammer, sear is not hard once you learn how to do it. While learning you will probably ruin quite a few parts. By the way, these are critical to safe operation of the gun, so they have to be done right.

You will also need some specialized tools - a medium india stone, a fine stone, some needle files, and a safe-sided retangular file, at a minimum. A 25x scope/hammer & sear jig is extremely helpful.

Fitting the extractor and firing pin stop aren't hard.

Fitting of barrels, links, barrel bushings, and slide to frame can be anything from drop together to requiring a lathe and a milling machine. Depends on how good you want it to be and the kind of parts you want to use.

There are a lot of little mods and tweaks that it helps to know how to do, such as how to fit a trigger bow, how to fit a magazine catch, what parts to polish, etc. The Kuhnhausen books are good, but they are only a starting point.

Between the base gun/frame, parts, tools, reference materials, I don't think $500 is anywhere close to realistic.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:34:34 AM EDT
i've thought about going that route also, i've realized it's cheaper to buy what you want to start with when it comes to 1911's. JTdistributing/Doublestar makes a great AR kit, haven't seen any of their 1911's yet.

last time i called them, they offered a base model mil spec for around 475.00
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:22:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By marc1979:
i've thought about going that route also, i've realized it's cheaper to buy what you want to start with when it comes to 1911's. JTdistributing/Doublestar makes a great AR kit, haven't seen any of their 1911's yet.

it's either build my own, or buy a rock island/charles daly and use the rest of my budget to spiff it up a bit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:19:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kingpinGTI:

Originally Posted By marc1979:

it's either build my own, or buy a rock island/charles daly and use the rest of my budget to spiff it up a bit.

thats what i did, bought a RIA, and added all the parts i wanted. next will be on a springer frame and slide.

Top Top