Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 3:48:43 PM EDT
Hey guys. Interested in getting a KZ-45 Compact....what are your views on them? Why are they so inexpensive compared to other Wilsons? I want to carry this gun, so is it reliable?

Up until now I've been looking at various Kimber carry models and I just stumbled onto this Wilson today. Am somewhat of a 1911 noob, and had no idea any Wilson could be had for around $1400. Anyway, I need all the info I can get, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a full size KZ45 once. It was a great gun, one I wish I had kept. You do realize that it's not a "true" 1911 since it uses a polymer frame designed to take KZ45 exclusive semi doubole stacked mags (10 in the full size. 9 in the compact)? And your price seems a little high. I see KZ45s listed on some of the exchange boards for $900 - $1000. My favorite dealer told me he could get me one for $1075 last year. Quality is very nice, but it is more of an assembled gun that doesn't get as much hand fitting as the steel frame Wilsons, one reason it's cheaper. But you still get Wilson to stand behind it with their top notch service. Reliability with mine was perfect. I've read a few scattered reports on various websites of some feed problems with certain KZs, but it sounds like Wilson always makes good on them. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
They're also made with Wilson's MIM "Value Line" internals, not the same parts they use for their standard pistols.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I had a full size KZ45 once. It was a great gun, one I wish I had kept. You do realize that it's not a "true" 1911 since it uses a polymer frame designed to take KZ45 exclusive semi doubole stacked mags (10 in the full size. 9 in the compact)? And your price seems a little high. I see KZ45s listed on some of the exchange boards for $900 - $1000. My favorite dealer told me he could get me one for $1075 last year. Quality is very nice, but it is more of an assembled gun that doesn't get as much hand fitting as the steel frame Wilsons, one reason it's cheaper. But you still get Wilson to stand behind it with their top notch service. Reliability with mine was perfect. I've read a few scattered reports on various websites of some feed problems with certain KZs, but it sounds like Wilson always makes good on them. Good luck.

any suggestions as to who has the best price on them?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I have seen them at gunshows for $1050.00 out the door.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a KZ full size and have been shooting it for a little over two years now.  Out of the box it did not run smoothly nor did it shoot with consistent accuracy.  In every 50 rounds thru the pipe using manufactured ammo, it would jam or fail to eject two or three times.  This continued for the first 600 rounds.  Then, it smoothed out and has run very well since.  I'm not having the jam & eject problems anymore.  Accuracy has improved, also.

I enjoy shooting this 1911.  The polymer grip fits my hand well and I like the fact that it can carry 10 rounds in the mag plus one in the pipe.  Given my shooting mechanics, it shoots accurately but is not my most accurate 1911.

If I were to carry, I would carry my Kimber CDP II Compact instead.  I doesn't hold as  many rounds in the mag, but it has a melt treatment, is more accurate then the Wilson KZ, has an internal extractor, cost less new than the KZ, and operated flawlessly right out of the box.

I guess what I'm saying is the KZ is a decent handgun and supported by Wilson.  But, I'd compare it with a few other compacts just to be certain you have the one that's right.  In the process, you might save some money and still accomplish your goal of obtaining a carry piece
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Shark...
Sorry but you are mistaken on this one.
The series II Kimbers have the external extractorb also the Series I has no firing pin safety and the Series II has the Schwartz firing pin safety system.

For carry I would not do a Series II myself but many are very happy with them
I would not buy the KZ either...  It is the Wilson budget gun.
Not hand fitted and machined, not a real 1911 as it is a polymer reciever.

If this is for carry go buy a used Kimber Pre Series II Compact CDP.
It is a GREAT carry piece and you can get pretty decent deals on them right now in the boards.

If you are going to spend that much and want a carry piece another great option is the new Colt Gunsite CCO.  VERY light, has been dehorned and is the only CCO built off of the Series 70 Colts.

Quoted:

If I were to carry, I would carry my Kimber CDP II Compact instead.  I doesn't hold as  many rounds in the mag, but it has a melt treatment, is more accurate then the Wilson KZ, has an internal extractor, cost less new than the KZ, and operated flawlessly right out of the box.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Shark...
Sorry but you are mistaken on this one.
The series II Kimbers have the external extractorb also the Series I has no firing pin safety and the Series II has the Schwartz firing pin safety system.

For carry I would not do a Series II myself but many are very happy with them
I would not buy the KZ either...  It is the Wilson budget gun.
Not hand fitted and machined, not a real 1911 as it is a polymer reciever.

If this is for carry go buy a used Kimber Pre Series II Compact CDP.
It is a GREAT carry piece and you can get pretty decent deals on them right now in the boards.

If you are going to spend that much and want a carry piece another great option is the new Colt Gunsite CCO.  VERY light, has been dehorned and is the only CCO built off of the Series 70 Colts.

Quoted:

No, actually Shark is semi-correct. The early Series II guns had internal extractors along with the firing-pin safety. I have a Stainless Pro Carry II with an internal extractor.

The later Series II guns had external extractors, however, some of the most recent Series II guns have internal extractors. Maybe they need to start calling them Series IIa, IIb, and IIc to make it easier to keep up with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top