Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/6/2006 11:21:36 PM EDT
i was looking around at various custom 1911's and saw some of them had comensators. what is the purpose of a comensator on a 1911??

thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:20:32 AM EDT
Compensator.

The expanding gases released by the cartridge during firing is vented in the direction of the compensator's "holes", thus compensating for the upward movement during recoil.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:26:27 PM EDT
Worthless on .45s. They come into their own when used on 9mm Major and .40 caliber game guns--the increased pressure of modern rounds allows the compensator to scavenge gas and do its thing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:53:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 7:47:05 PM EDT by hobbs5624]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:12:38 AM EDT
I owned and shot several types of comps over the years on 45s and feel they definately do make a notable difference in recoil. Whether or not they would justify the cost to an individual obviously depends on the person and how the pistol is to be used.

I still have my two favoriates, one built by George while still at Austin Behlerts and one from Don at the Action Works, and shoot them regularly. However, I would never recommend one on a personal defense gun for obvious reasons. JD
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:38:06 AM EDT
Well, they atleast look cool
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:41:41 PM EDT
I got laughed at by the man

My experience was mostly with a Springfield Armory two chamber comp, and while it did work...it was not very noticeable. I actually had to concentrate on it to notice the difference in muzzle flip. It's my opinion that a compensator on a .45 isn't worth the expenditure and length, not to mention the unique muzzle signature. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:12:37 PM EDT
That little guy rolling around is not laughing at Jack.........he's laughing at the guy that built those comps. heThe first gun shown is the same length as a 5" Government model.
The second is the same length as a 4 1/4" Commander.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:53:09 PM EDT
comensator?? i think you mean compensator with a P
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:17:29 AM EDT
i have so thought of doing a commander with a comp to make it the same size as a GM. i shot one that was cool, the comp was designed by a rocket engine designer. he took the pressure at the comp and desinged the ports and angles using software for rocket engine nozzles.

the same guy made one for a race gun ( GM with about a 2 inch long comp ) that was so effective that it was fired with 3 fingers... the thumb behind the grip, a trigger finger and one finger under the trigger gaurd and the gun stayed flat, no muzzle rise. i am sure his design has been so copied it is pitiful. there was an ad in a gun rag years ago about hit
Top Top