Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 5:35:55 PM EDT

Reason I'm asking is that I just picked up what LOOKS like a cherry Colt 1908 .25 hammerless pocket pistol...but it actually looks too good. Yes, I know it's not a 1911, but I figure someone here may actually collect old ponies as well

Serial number of 294,xxx indicates it was made between 1921 and 1922, with the correct black hard rubber type 2 grips (square top). The slide's serial number matches the frame (which I haden't thought to check before I bought it; whew, lucky it matches)...and it does have the proper 1917 patent date on the slide indicating the patent stamping for the Tansley Device.

Problem is, the finish looks almost _perfect_. The end of the patent stamp and the rampant pony stamping both look very light; either light from the factory or it was just overbuffed, which is what makes me really think it was refinished...well, other than the fact it looks brand freaking new.

Bore looks good as well; not dark, and I don't see any real pitting.

How would a re-nickeled gun look, INTERNALLY? The flats are polished, but the internal is a matte..looks more like stainless than nickel, really. Same with the barrel and the mainspring guide.

As I got the thing for what I think is a pittance, I won't be heartbroken to discover it's been redone...I just have no idea how to tell, really.

I'm tossing around the idea of buying a letter from Colt detailing when it was made, who it was sold and shipped to, etc...but, I'm not sure I want to drop another $75 on that, though it'd be pretty cool

Any input, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
No one collects or knows or has an opinion or thought?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Saturday, January 07, 2006

Hi!

I am not an expert, but I do known enough to know that you should NOT have your handgun re-nickeled.  To do so will destroy much, if not all, of the handgun’s collector value.  Collectors like their pieces ORIGINAL, with imperfections and all!

The old nickeling process involved intensive polishing, then applying a coat of copper, with the nickel applied over the top of the copper.  In the places with the nickel finish appears matte or like stainless steel, that is the places were it was not polished or copper plated before nickeling.

You have a beautiful handgun; I strongly suggest that you do not have it refinished.  The original finish is very important!  

Take Care!

MP5 Machininpistole
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#3]
without pics!    a doller to a doughnut its been rechromed/nichel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top