Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 11:13:52 AM EDT
Hello, everyone.  I am a 1911 noob and just purchased a used SA TRP.  I am loving the pistol and have been able to shoot 2 to 2/12 inch 5 shot groups rested at 25 yards with WWB 230gr FMJ.  I am thinking this is decent accuracy from someone so new to the 1911 platform (I am really a Sig guy for the most part), but have started wondering what to check for wear on this pistol.  I know what to look for on a SIG, but not the 1911.  If I place the barrel into the slide and push the barrel back into lockup with the slide, there is a little bit of play between the barrel and slide locking lugs.  Is this normal?  How do you check the wear/fit between the barrel and slide and barrel bushing?  Thanks in advance for any help.  On a side note, I have put 300 rds through this TRP both FMJ and Winchester and Speer hollowpoints and it has ran 100% so far, so I am happy with it!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks SGB.  I also noticed that if I have my TRP in battery (unloaded) and push down on top of the barrel hood through the ejection port the barrel is able to move up and down a very little bit (probably .010 or so just guessing).  The thing can consistently print 2 to 2.5 inch groups at 25 yards with WWB 230 gr though.  I am beginning to wonder why so many people get so worked up about 1911s having to have such ultra exact tolerances with no clearances between moving parts at all.  People talk as if a 1911 couldnt hit a barn at 10 feet unless there parts fitting is so tight the gun is basically galling/filing/sanding itself away with every shot.  Who says the thing has to be so tight it squeaks??
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I am reading this thread and saying to myself....."DAMN!" I like these guys!

In my experience a worn out gun will usually show it all over.

The vast majority of issues I have encountered concerning used guns are due to some "expert" with screwdriver and a hammer dicking with them.

My NIB Kimbers have all locked up fairly tightly while every NIB Colt I ever used to own had considerable slop pretty much everywhere.  

My old rattle trap, worn-out, shot-out, neglected and severely abused Colt Sistema would hold everything I could load and fire though it on a paper plate, off hand at 25 yrds.

And to be honest I really ain't that great of a shot.    Ouch that hurt!!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Slide to frame fit is less than 10% accuracy of the pistol, so some movement in the slide to frame is not the end of the world.

As for the barrel hood drop, if the side moves rearward when you push down to get this movement, all is well.  On the other hand, if the hood moves and the slide does not, then it may be time to install a new barrel link (stock size or maybe a step longer to compensate for wear if needed).  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks SGB.  I also noticed that if I have my TRP in battery (unloaded) and push down on top of the barrel hood through the ejection port the barrel is able to move up and down a very little bit (probably .010 or so just guessing).  The thing can consistently print 2 to 2.5 inch groups at 25 yards with WWB 230 gr though.  I am beginning to wonder why so many people get so worked up about 1911s having to have such ultra exact tolerances with no clearances between moving parts at all.  People talk as if a 1911 couldnt hit a barn at 10 feet unless there parts fitting is so tight the gun is basically galling/filing/sanding itself away with every shot.  Who says the thing has to be so tight it squeaks??

was there a problem?......most 1911`s will have hang ups if too tight....people who trash 1911`s probably hate them...period..therefore should never own one.....far as the bbl bushing...i have gone through the effort of hand fitting....only to realize that it won`t run without adequate amount of "slop" and a 45 with some frame/slide movement....is most likely a good runner....not to excess of course............
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, guys.  Sounds like you are all thinking basically the same as I am.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you're looking to do competitive shooting, I'd rather have the slop (within reason) that lends reliability.

I carry a 1911 for self defense, if I shoot at someone more that 20' away (10' in most cases) That's not self defence - That's murder.  If I can't hit a person at 20' with a sloppy gun then I got no business touching one!!!!

There's my 2 cents, take it for what it cost 'ya
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't get wrapped around the axle when it comes to a little play in the slide to frame, the barel hood, and the barrel bushing.

I've had loose 1911s that shot under 3" groups at 25 yds.

I have some very well fitted 1911s that shoot under 1" at 25 yds.

I even have a 1911 that is guaranteed by the maker to put 10 rounds into less than 1.5" at 50 yds.  

A lot depends on how good a shooter you are, and the quality of the ammo.

If the TRP can shoot 2.5" groups at 25 yds, I wouldn' t change a thing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top