Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 6:27:57 AM EDT
Anyone familiar with the long term handgun storage bags? I read about them once, they emit some type of corrosion inhibitor and last for a few years. Also if you know where to get them I'd appreciate it if you would post the source. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#1]
These work so well, the military and industry no longer slather guns or machine parts with grease for storage.

Guns are protected for 10 years, AND can be simply taken out of the bag and used, which is why the military uses them.

You need special "Vapor Paper" sheets and special plastic bags.
DO NOT use ordinary plastic or plastic bags.  Ordinary plastics will pass moisture, and will allow the vapor to escape.
The special "hard" plastic bags are made of a plastic that won't allow the moisture to infiltrate or the vapor to escape.

To use, wipe the metal off with a patch lightly coated with CLP Breakfree, leaving a THIN coat of CLP.
This will neutralize any finger prints.
Then wrap the gun in Vapor Paper, and properly seal in the bag.
For long term, or harsh condition storage, wrap in several sheets of paper.

Among other sources, you can buy the Vapor Paper in various sized sheets and both pistol and long gun sized bags from Brownell's Gunsmith Supply.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1197&title=GUNWRAP?%20PAPER

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1154&title=TRIPLE+TOUGH?%20PREMIUM%20STORAGE%20BAGS

For SHORT TERM storage:
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1515&title=RUST+BLOCKER+GUN+SLEEVES
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag!  Good thread and good info!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I sprayed all my guns down with Breakfree and left them in a safe for about years with no problems.  Went overseas and never got a chance to get back and shoot.

my 2 cents

R/

Mike
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I give my guns a good wipe down with CLP and then use a Sack-Up gun sock for storage.  I was able to eliminate my rust problems with this method.  Sack ups are good to have around and easy on the wallet too, IIRC.

Edited to add link:   Sack Ups
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I give my guns a good wipe down with CLP and then use a Sack-Up gun sock for storage.  I was able to eliminate my rust problems with this method.  Sack ups are good to have around and easy on the wallet too, IIRC.

Edited to add link:   Sack Ups

Those are good, I've used them before.

WD40 and a wool sock also works. I inherited some guns when I was 12 which were held for me till I was 21 in wool socks with WD40. Did the job nicely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top