Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 7:42:10 AM EDT
My brother and I are having a strange problem with his Springfield GI .45 .  The second-to-last round in every magazine jams on the way out of the ejection port.  All of the other rounds cycle fine.  We have tried mags from SA, Colt, and Kimber.  Regardless of the magazine or ammo we use, we get the same faliure.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Replace the SA extractor with a good one?????

this may be a helpful read in conjunction w/ my comment above: www.gunnergrummz.com/mt/archives/2005/07/1911_woes_fixed.html

Mike
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
 Believe it or not, it's your EXTRACTOR.  Why it affects the second to the last round in every mag has always drove me nuts.   There's a couple things you can do.   You can try tweaking the current extractor, which is an undersized affair NOT very suitable to the 45 Auto ( IMO ) OR you can pick up a Wislon Bulletproof or Ed Brown Hardcore extractor and fit that to the gun.  Wislons come with a nice instructional pamphlet.

I am going to suggest first try tightening your extractor a bit and see if the malfuction increases or goes away.  REMEMBER a little tweaking goes a LONG way.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there an echo in here??????  

Mike
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Any good extractor will fix it, I prefer Caspian, They are usally easier to prep.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is there an echo in here??????  

Mike

Great minds think alike!!!!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for extractor replacement.

Even if you get the current extractor properly tensioned, it won't stay that way (cheap steel).

Wilson Bulletproof, Ed Brown Hardcore, Caspian are all good.  No MIM.

Consider an AFTEC extractor.  It should run fine out of the box with no need for tension adjustment (they use two coil springs, not bending the extractor itself, to apply tension).

Remember to clean out the extractor tunnel in the slide about every 1k rounds or so - a build up of carbon can prevent the extractor from flexing.

A worn out .223 bore brush on a pistol cleaning rod works good for me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help.  I'm new to the 1911 and had no idea an extractor problem would do that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help.  I'm new to the 1911 and had no idea an extractor problem would do that.

It's one of those wierd things.....don't let the fact that some companies don't care about turning out a decent gun turn you off to the 1911.  With a Springfield you DO have a GREAT frame and slide if they are marked F.I.B. ( which is Forged In Brazil ) and you can ditch the crappy internals and make yourself a hell of a 1911 and learn a few things too.

Good luck and have fun!  The 1911 is a great piece and once you get yours running great you'll be a happy, happy camper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top