Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/27/2005 7:35:42 PM EDT
Here is the background. 2007 will be the 40th anneversry(?) of my dad leaving Vietnam. He was a medic in the 25th. He flew around in the Huey's and saved many lives, I'm quite proud to call him dad.
He told me he only carried a 1911 over there.

I would like to get him a 1911 for Veterans day 2007 to say thank you to him. I know he went through alot of shit for his service(he was spit on by a protester in San Fran. airport when he came back, called a babykiller, etc.)

My question is, what would be a good choice?
I want a shooter, something like what he carried. No safe queens.
My first thought was something like a RRA Gov. model, but maybe a Colt would be more appropriate.
Then I thought, maybe a real gov. model but I can't seem to find any for a resonable price. What is a realistic price for a retired gov. pistol?

If I get an old G.I. Colt, it would need rebluing or parkerizing to look nice. Would that ruin it's value if I get it refinished? Or maybe the wear would add character?What would you rather have?

I guess another option would be a new Colt.

I am thinking about getting some grips engraved also, something simple. Maybe a red cross symbol on one side and a tropic lightning on the other. Maybe 1967 on one side and 2007 on the other. Anyone know a company that could do something like that?

I'm also looking for a good G.I. holster circa 1960's style, what did they look like?

My budget is about $600. If I can't do that, I may be able to get more from other family members.I don't think I could go over $1000.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:42:13 PM EDT
Springfield GI model, new.

Along with the holster, it should put you well within budget.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:49:31 PM EDT
You can get a nice Series 70 Colt, made shortly after he left Vietnam (different roll marks though) for about $700.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:03:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

+1

Almost all the online places have 1911 USGI type holsters.

SARCO

Northridge Inc.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:25:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:37:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SGB:

+1

+2 Perfect choice for your price range.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:39:33 AM EDT
Just in my opinion, wear on 1911s is BEAUTIFUL.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:01:49 AM EDT

I gave one of these to my work partner as a Christmas Gift last year.....Works well and looks good right out of the box, and definitely will fit within your budget!

Sean
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:15:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 7:21:53 AM EDT by DoubleARon]
Caspian has GI holsters . BTW, they will engrave up a 1911 nicely with GI rollmarks. They have a couple of different frame variations as well, if you wanted to build a GI pistol. Several people on 1911 Forum have built GI Caspians up for gifts. The Carbon Classic Receiver:

Top Top