Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2005 7:17:00 AM EDT
This 1911  is going to be displayed at the Shot Show in Feb. 2006, then it's on it's way to me. I am so psyched! Thank you Ted and Jason for making this happen!

Gun is a two- tone piece built on a NRM Series 80 in .45ACP
- 30lpi hand done checkering front and rear
- Hand checkered mag-catch, 40lpi
- Kart NM barrel w/ Kart bushing
- Flattened and serrated slide top
- Bordered slide
- Esmerelda custom Cocobolo stocks
- Brown single side thumb safety
- Hand filed mag-well
- High-sweep beavertail grip safety
- Bar-stock slide stop with serrated bottom
- Best quality extractor
- Serrated rear face of the slide to match rear sight
- Yo-Bo Professional Grade rear sight w/ 24k gold line front sight
- Best grade trigger job with short solid trigger and Yo-Bo action components, crisp 4# pull
- Immaculate hand detailing
- Silver inlaid "Y" logo on rear right side of the slide
- Polished blued slide flats with matte rounds and a matte hard chrome bottom end
- and more...
- From Ted's personal collection complete with a signed test target and full build sheet.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn thats a nice pistol.  I hope when you mean displayed at the SHOT show, that means in a locked glass case.  So 10,000 clowns don't get the chance to scratch it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice to see another good series 80 build.  It's similar to the stainless nrm series 80 Yo-Bo built for me last summer.  i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/Eager/1991YoBo_rear01.jpg  That I'm quite happy with.  

But yours has a bit more.  

I think people tend to be too hard on the series 80 in not recommending it for a great base gun.  I have both series 70 and the 80 guns and sure I prefer the 70, but after having had the 80 done up in a near full-house config. I find little not to love.  Series 80s are easier to find, cost hundreds less and are the same game with the added (albeit somewhat annoying) FP safety.  There is no noticable trigger action difference. The trigger action is great!  It's a little annoying to fiddle with the series 80 parts when cleaning the firing pin and extractor but it's not that bad.  My main worry used to be that I'd loose those little parts but now that I've stocked up on those extra FP safety plunger spring (which a real cheap) I don't worry anymore.  

I've not done a complete dissasembly yet with my 80, so I don't know what's instore there.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#4]
....And I'm spent. Tissue please.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
But, Ted Yost is a crappy gunsmith!  EVERYONE who knows anyone whose cousin's brother's aunt's dentist's niece's best friend's pediatrican ever attended Gunsite knows that!

Seriously, nice gun!  I really like the way Ted does grip safeties, and that checkering is outstanding.  The overall attention to detail is impressive as well.  Congratulations on your new toy!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
But, Ted Yost is a crappy gunsmith!  EVERYONE who knows anyone whose cousin's brother's aunt's dentist's niece's best friend's pediatrican ever attended Gunsite knows that!

Seriously, nice gun!  I really like the way Ted does grip safeties, and that checkering is outstanding.  The overall attention to detail is impressive as well.  Congratulations on your new toy!

Thank you for your congrats. The very first thing I look at when I'm not purchasing a gun in person is the beavertail to frame fit, it tells you a lot. I have two 1* Elites built on SA G.I.s that Colton Bagnoli of Yost-Bonitz customized. The beavertail to frame fit is a "hairline" either when the safety is engaged or disengaged. What a pleasure when someone knows what they're doing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Damn, they would have to give me the 'smith work for free to keep it an extra couple of months for advertising purposes.

I know you're kidding or hope you are. I got lucky. If I sent in a Series 80 Colt and requested the work this one has I'd be looking at a two year wait instead of a two month wait. On top of that, Ted built this for himself, which makes it all the more special as far as I'm concerned and this will be my 14th 1911.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
It's Christmas, I trying very hard not to be jealous.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
can anyone guess what I want for Christmas.......?

Of course. BTW: I love your sig. line.

Doc
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's Christmas, I trying very hard not to be jealous.

I put in my time. I remember selling guns to pay the rent, student loans, etc. I'm an "old man", I'm making up for it now big time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#13]
That is one sweet looking 1911 you have there! Ted, I see that you've borrowed my favorite leather jacket to take pictures of it..LOL
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn nice !
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Is that the stock Colt mag catch or is that one of the slightly extended ones?  I had Ed Brown "Tactical" mag catches installed on the series 80 and on the SA GI that Yo-Bo did for me this summer and I'm haveing problems with both.    One mag catch is back at Yo-Bo and now the other will have to go too.  

FWIW I got the Yo-Bo Retro sights on the series 80 and the Yo-Bo Pro Grades (like yours) on the SA GI.  The Retros have the gold inlay on the front like yours and my Pro Grades got Trijicon inserts in a straight-eight configuartion (I originally ordered Heinies opened to 0.14" but learned that Heinies are extremely backordered now so substituted to save months of waiting).  The Retros with the gold inlay work very well for me.  In fact they're my favorite sight working better than anything else I have except for my adjustable 3-dot CZ sights which for some unexplainable reason just work best for me (I could be mostly the gun).  The Pro-Grades don't work as well for me as I'd like thus far.  I think it's their tall height combined with a little narrowing and rounding at the top, which seems to make it harder for me to get a precise alignment, particularly vertically.  They are fast though and I'm glad to get the straight-eight configured Tijicon inserts which (at least in my own mind) provide good darkness capabilty.  The Pro Grades on my SA GI also required a custom fitted firing pin stop (with the top filed off) which is a bit of a PITA since I'll have to have replacement FP stops custom fit.  Bottom line is, I highly recommend the Yo-Bo Retro sights and really like the gold line inlay like is shown on this two-tone Colt.  I just wish 0.45acp ammo was priced like .22lr.    because I enjoy shooting them so much.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Is that the stock Colt mag catch or is that one of the slightly extended ones?  I had Ed Brown "Tactical" mag catches installed on the series 80 and on the SA GI that Yo-Bo did for me this summer and I'm haveing problems with both.    One mag catch is back at Yo-Bo and now the other will have to go too.  

FWIW I got the Yo-Bo Retro sights on the series 80 and the Yo-Bo Pro Grades (like yours) on the SA GI.  The Retros have the gold inlay on the front like yours and my Pro Grades got Trijicon inserts in a straight-eight configuartion (I originally ordered Heinies opened to 0.14" but learned that Heinies are extremely backordered now so substituted to save months of waiting).  The Retros with the gold inlay work very well for me.  In fact they're my favorite sight working better than anything else I have except for my adjustable 3-dot CZ sights which for some unexplainable reason just work best for me (I could be mostly the gun).  The Pro-Grades don't work as well for me as I'd like thus far.  I think it's their tall height combined with a little narrowing and rounding at the top, which seems to make it harder for me to get a precise alignment, particularly vertically.  They are fast though and I'm glad to get the straight-eight configured Tijicon inserts which (at least in my own mind) provide good darkness capabilty.  The Pro Grades on my SA GI also required a custom fitted firing pin stop (with the top filed off) which is a bit of a PITA since I'll have to have replacement FP stops custom fit.  Bottom line is, I highly recommend the Yo-Bo Retro sights and really like the gold line inlay like is shown on this two-tone Colt.  I just wish 0.45acp ammo was priced like .22lr.    because I enjoy shooting them so much.

The only thing I can tell you is that Ted from time to time builds guns for himself then ends up selling some. If you are lucky enough with timing you get what Ted wants for himself. I got lucky!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Very nice.

Even though I know this 1911 is primo, I truly appreciate your input. Thanks Combat_Jack
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very nice.

Even though I know this 1911 is primo, I truly appreciate your input. Thanks Combat_Jack

Jason Burton taught me everything that I know about 1911's, so thank him.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Jason is the one that set this up for me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Jason is the one that set this up for me.

I can see it now... in some of the little things.  Of course, Ted taught Jason a lot.  Although they still disagree over the proper way to fit the bottom of a beavertail.

Anway, very nice gun, and I'll bet it's a hell of a shooter to boot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quite nice!

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Simple.....yet elegant!
That is one of THE MOST HANDSOME 1911's I have ever seen!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Simple.....yet elegant!

Coming from you, that means a lot.  By the way, if you ever slow down a little I'll get on your list.  I've always wanted one of your tools.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Just today I took delivery of a Heinie Series 70 Gold Cup and I'm sitting here all jealous looking at those pics . . .
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Uhhhh I like it!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:04:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:23:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn that is beautiful ,

and because I have no clue, what does a gun like this usually cost?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:45:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:47:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Toy? that is one seriouse "TOOL!"  Awesome!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
C'mon OVERTIME check!!! or why can't I just win the lotto?!?!

You guys tempt me by posting such beautiful work.

Tuna fish sandwiches brother, tuna fish sandwichs...Stan
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Must......look......away........    I can't afford another addiction just yet......
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Simple.....yet elegant!

Thanks Chuck, that means a lot coming from you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm sending off my Colt Delta Elite to the folks at Yost on Monday.  I can't wait to see the finished product.  It's going to be long wait, but well worth it after seeing pics like these.  Congrats on an amazing 1911 Doc!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Simple.....yet elegant!

Coming from you, that means a lot.  By the way, if you ever slow down a little I'll get on your list.  I've always wanted one of your tools.

Do you agree? I do, but this is by far the most $ I've ever spent on a 1911 and I have about 15.  I guess I'm looking for reassurance by someone that obviously know more than I do. Thank you.

Doc Gun
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Now that is a fitting end for a NRM Colt.  That's a timeless build.

I hope it sees plenty of use :D
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks Ken, I always value your opinion.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Simple.....yet elegant!

Do you agree? I do, but this is by far the most $ I've ever spent on a 1911 and I have about 15.  I guess I'm looking for reassurance by someone that obviously know more than I do. Thank you.

Doc Gun

Doc, you have a beautiful pistol there. Like Chuck said, it's a very elegant pistol.

Thanks for the compliment, but I don't know that I know that much about 1911s. I just sit here and think "what would Jason say?"
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Makes me want to take back everything bad I ever said about Series 80
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too! And don't undersell yourself, I have a high regard for your opinion.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too! And don't undersell yourself, I have a high regard for your opinion.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm not bragging or trying to take credit, but I lobbied my ass off for months for a dedicated 1911 forum (just ask SGB).  This has turned out GREAT. Thank you to the Mods, Site Staff and Owner for making this a reality. I love it!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Doc That is by far one of the best looking 1911's I have seen.  I am still trying to wear out my 1* that I got back about 6 months ago now I am contemplating how I can find the $$ to get a full house custom from Ted.

Anybody know a place the buys souls?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Thanks Ken, I always value your opinion.

Thank you, sir.

I suspect you will never have cause to regret your decision... the Y-B shop builds some of the finest 1911s on the planet today.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top