Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 6:18:14 PM EDT
Hey guys new to the 1911s....I know I need one I just need to find out what exactly I need.
Words of wisdom for person pretty new to the gun type?  what to look for what to stay the hell away from.  My price range is kinda varying at this point.  from 500-1000.

Some questions
I have an m6 should I look for something with a rail or is there any negative effects on them?
Id like to stick to springfield kimber or colt.  any others I should look into?
Is there any variation of those that I should stay away from?
What are some main features that set some above the rest?
I will get about 7 months of shooting outa this before deploying so is there any that don't like to be pent up for a year or so without use?

thanks in advance guys.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield, Kimber or Colt are all good choices.

You need to go shoot a few and decide what feels best to you.

What are you getting this for?  Home Defense?  Carry, Range???  If its for carry a rail is more of a pain than anything as it limits your holster options (except LE of course).  If it's for the range do you really need a light?  If it's for Home Defense get a rail.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#2]
all of the above actually.  Its a long term buy.  will put mainly range time on it untill deployment.  after that it will take its turn between the range and carry.  Home defense isn't an issue seeing as Im in the barracks.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
that les baer is a little out my price range..but the way I see it price ranges are ment to be stretched out.  

I like the operator alot.  I shot one about a year ago and it felt good to shoot.  any one have any problems with it?

eta: should a stick with a full size or are do the more compact versions any pros or cons (besides being smaller)
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had nothing but good experiences with my Kimbers and nothing but misery from the Colt.  I had an Officer's model that was plagued with FTF/FTE and even after 3 trips back to factory to be "fixed" I had to get rid of it.  I have since purchased two Kimbers and not one single problem after several thousand rounds of multiple brands of ammo.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Well if you're willing to stretch, a LB wouldn't do you wrong.  I think they run a tad too tight, but that's just me!

ETA:  5" Government is all you'll ever NEED!  WANT is a whole nuther thing!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#7]
so lets hit the want catagory for just a minute then.  Ive been browsing alot in mainly kimbers.  Do any of them come with a rail besides there 03 special editions?  I can't say that I have seen any others.  or is there 04 and 05s set the same way.(this mainly coming from there webpage).

Is there a more compact springfield with the rail?  Im a smaller guy 5'8 and 150 pounds and it almost seems like that is a rather large firearm to carry.  my dad sure can pull it off...me its a squeeze.

the les baer stingers have also kinda caught my eye?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well if you're willing to stretch, a LB wouldn't do you wrong.  I think they run a tad too tight, but that's just me!

A tad? You give them a lot of credit! Too much, methinks.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#9]
so what would you say think of this?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#11]
pretty much what I want.  I can't seem to find the 4 inch anywhere.  its always the 3 or 5..pictured is supposed to be the TLE PRO 4 but now I can't seem to find it much of anywhere.  
does anyone know if any of our sponsors carries kimber stuff?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I just don't care about a rail, but my 1911s are for carrying and getting a rail into an IWB is just more than I want to deal with.

That said, I like the fact that the Springfields and Colts have the internal extractor.  My experience with the Series II Kimbers was less than stellar.  Crap kept getting into the external extractor and stopping it from extracting.

That said, I traded that Series II Kimber for a Series I.  I don't even know if I got a good deal on the trade or not, but I got what I wanted, so I don't really care.

So, my suggestions:

Colt
Springfield
Series I Kimbers

Of course, that's my opinion and there will be plenty of others here.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Ive read that the warrior from kimber has the internal extractor? do the tles have them too?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]
kimber...the tle II edition w/ or w/o light rail

warrior w/ the light rail

or i also reccomend the springfield mil spec 1911 a1... sweet gun... lotta history and pride encorporated in it... you will def feel this aspect too when u hold 1 or shoot one for the first time...this was my first 1911
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive never had to shop for handguns online before?  does any one know where I can get the tle with rail stainless steel and 4 inch barrel?  Uncle sam wants me to get this.  Ive always kinda known what I want but it seems like things are crystalizing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:28:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:16:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Id have to agree about Kimber, series I is that way to go.

Colt, some say hit or miss.  Id try to stick with the series 70 if you are going to go Colt.  Buying a older Series 70 is always a great choice as it will run as it is now and is a GREAT platform to build off of and customize.

Baer is great if you want strictly a target gun, they are just a little too tight for carry.
You drop it down and get some crud in there then dont be surprised if the Baer does not run.

Rail...  Nice, but not practical for CCW.  You will have a VERY hard time finding a holster to carry it (most regular holsters will not fit a rail even without the light, some people don't realize that.)  If it was strictly for range and home defense Id say get a rail as it would be nice to have a light on  your bed gun BUT if you plan on it being a CCW piece its almost worthless.  Save the rail till you get really addicted to the 1911 and then buy a full size with a rail for a bed/range gun.

You should really look at something with the Commander slide.  4.25 in a great set up for range or CCW use.  You do not loose much by dropping off that .75 in and you gain quite a bit of comfort for carry by doing that.

Hope thats of some help.
Just get out there and play with a few things.
See what feel best, keep in mind all the good advice people have given here and weigh out your choices.

****Edited to ad the following AR15 EE ad****

This would be a very good choice to fill your overall needs and a good price as well

AR15 EE Kimber CDP Compact Series I
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#18]
nickforney,

All of these suggestions are great to consider but you can not go wrong with the cheapest 1911 made.  Standard 1911's are made from the same blueprint and pretty much all mags and parts are interchangable depending on the width and length of the of the firearm.  I would recommend shooting a few to get a feel for them, purchase an inexpensive one shoot the hell out of it upgrade it with as many feature as your hearts desire and then sell it or use it for a training pistol.  I went this route purchased a really inexpensive practical Springfield GI45 shot the heck out of it and have recently decided to upgrade to a Kimber II.

I paid $399 for the GI45 upgraded the guide rod and did some trigger work and it shoots perfect

FYI

Every new 1911 that I have broke in or have witnessed the break in process has shot like crap.  It takes 50-100 rounds and a good cleaning to get them shooting like they were made to shoot.

Take a look at this link you can probably purchase a GI for around $450-$460 new.

springfield
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Check the articles at www.signaturegrade.com and also the 10-8 forums.

Hilton Yam covers all the issues with gun selection, rails, lights, and holsters for the rail guns and lights.

G-code makes a kydex-type strong side belt holster suitable for CCW.

Safariland 6280 variants are available for thigh/duty belt use.

YMMV, but my experience with my tightly fitted 1911s (Baer, SVI, some custom builds) is that are very reliable provided you use good magazines and ammo.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top