Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 4:36:20 PM EDT
I just purcahsed (3) 10 rnd SS mags for my Rock Island full size 1911 and they don't fit. I mean they fit but only after I force them to fit and then It takes ALOT of pull to get them out.
Once I get them seated, the rounds cycle but it takes an act of congress to get the mags out......
The Mags have a shooting star on the top so I'm assuming they are CM mags.
Whats the deal?.....Is there something I can do to fix this????

Thanks,
GhostCat
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine fit in my kimber with exactly the same tension as the kimber and wilson mags. Something isn't right if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I can get the mags to fit and even cycle the ammo.....In other words, I can get it to seat properly and function.......but I have to force the mags to seat and it takes ALOT of pull to get them out.....
I can see the marks on the mags where the friction is........its getting into a bind on the front of the mag..........I can see where its having a hard time......maybe I'll just take my dremel and try and remove a little stock on the front of the mag.

Ghostcat
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I had that EXACT problem with 1 out of the 4 CM mags I bought from CDNN, when I used it in my Charles Daly (also made by Armscorp). It got really tight the last 1/2" going in (save the wisecracks). I covered the mag in black magic marker and put it in and out of my gun a few times. Once I saw where it was rubbing, I took a fine whetstone and polished those areas on the mag. I looked inside the magwell and saw what looked like some casting lines and polished those down, carefully, with a Dremel. Had NO problems with any of my other mags. now when i push the mag release, it comes out slick as s*** through a goose.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#5]
trgrpillr had it right.  the CMC mags are a bit wide at the lips.  Best bet is to work the mag well down flat and smooth till the mags drop free.  There are verious ways to do that.  I use a large file and then wet dry paper then the smoothest stone I own.  Does two things.  One thing to remember though, is it is best to strip the pistol to bare frame with the exception of the plunger tube and grip screw bushings.  I do not mess with the mags themselves. Hope I helped.

Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]
check the inside of the magwell, sometimes the grip screws can be a little long on the RIA's. if thats the problem, file them down some. this can cause the mags to stick.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:18:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Rock Island 9mm.  It started life as a .38 Super.  But that's another story...

Anyway, the gun will not accept CMC magazines and I've had problems with a few different "Springfield" 9mm mags.  The magazine well on the Filipino guns appears to be undersized since there are three of us here reporting this problem.  One more out-of-spec thing to add to the list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top