Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/15/2005 6:15:40 PM EDT
I've searched a bit and can't seem to find a place where to get one of these.

I saw a few guys who have Caspians with the extended slide release but they were stainless in color. Any help would be wunnerful!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:24:25 PM EDT
Nevermind I just found the link to www.midwayusa.com and they had it there. Awesome store :D
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:38:57 AM EDT
I prefer the Wilson Bulletproof...it's a damn good SS
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:22:19 AM EDT
Brownells carries a wide variety.

Get a forged machined extractor. EGW, Wilson Bulletproof, Ed Brown are all good
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:54:07 PM EDT
Didn't order one yet as I wanted to see replies. But midway gave me an idea on price. I will check out Brownells. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:44:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2005 2:46:53 PM EDT by 45bisley]
EGW is one of the best out there, made from tool steel for about $20 from Brownells. Nevermind I posted in haste. You said extended.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:46:43 PM EDT
You want an extended slide stop??
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:47:02 PM EDT
What's your reason for an extended slide stop.?

IMO, this is a solution in search of a problem.

#1 problem I've seen with them is bouncing up during recoil and locking the slide back when the magazine still has cartridges in it.

I suppose this could be minimized using a deeper detent, but perhaps not.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:02:49 AM EDT
My problem with the Ext. stop was it NOT locking open after last shot.

Fast trip to the grinder took care of that
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:44:03 PM EDT
Extended as in extended grip. To hit the slide stop I have to reposition my hand as it is. If it was slightly extended I wouldn't have to--are these not a good idea to get? SA has them on some of their models.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:49:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2005 4:50:11 PM EDT by GUNGUY1911]

Originally Posted By sysfailur:
Extended as in extended grip. To hit the slide stop I have to reposition my hand as it is. If it was slightly extended I wouldn't have to--are these not a good idea to get? SA has them on some of their models.

Deleted...don't want to start a war.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:18:07 PM EDT
I've been using Wilson extended slidestops for years without a single problem. YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:28:09 PM EDT

So does Nighthawk.

Personally, I use the slide release method myself so I know why you want one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:30:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 1:31:17 PM EDT by SGB]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:07:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 2:13:54 PM EDT by Va_Dinger]

Originally Posted By SGB:

Originally Posted By Va_Dinger:

Personally, I use the slide release method myself so I know why you want one.

.................. if it ain't broke don't fix it

I could not agree more.

While I might use the slide release method for reloads, I have personally never seen a need for an "Extended" version. But, to each his own. A few high-end manufacturers make them so there must be a reason for them. Since when do 1911 owners ever leave their pistols alone anyways?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:19:06 PM EDT

While I might use the slide release method for reloads...

In the space of one day you have admitted to both using the slide release for reloading AND using a weapon mounted light.

HERETIC!!!

How dare you suggest that there might be different ways of doing things !!?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:53:50 PM EDT
*incoming noobish question* What is the "slide release" method?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:03:38 PM EDT

Dropping the slide on a loaded mag by thumbing the slide lock lever, instead grabbing the back of the slide & slingshotting it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:52:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ken_mays:

While I might use the slide release method for reloads...

In the space of one day you have admitted to both using the slide release for reloading AND using a weapon mounted light.

HERETIC!!!

How dare you suggest that there might be different ways of doing things !!?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:12:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ken_mays:

Dropping the slide on a loaded mag by thumbing the slide lock lever, instead grabbing the back of the slide & slingshotting it.

Oh, well see that's what I've been doing. That's why I want the slightly longer release. I have to reposition my hands as it is now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:30:13 PM EDT

Oh, well see that's what I've been doing. That's why I want the slightly longer release. I have to reposition my hands as it is now. Thanks.

I used to do that, but I use the slingshot method now. I think tripping the slide stop is probably slightly faster, but it's also a fine motor skill, where I'm big and clumsy, so I want to use gross motor skills as much as possible, especially if I might be in a situation where some guy might be firing back.

Also, sometimes, I carry a pistol that's not a 1911 (I know, I know, but it gets darned HOT in TX in the summer) that lacks a slide stop with a lever, so I can use the same method to do reloads with both the 1911 and the itty bitty Walther PPK.

I've had problems with the extended slide stop. I've tried them a couple of times back when I used the slide stop for reloads, but I kept finding, especially with a thumbs forward grip, it'd really get in the way, and sometimes, it'd lock the slide back when I didn't want it to. With the regular kind, I've never had that problem.

But, like anything with 1911s, there are about a bajillion preferences and yours is as valid as mine. I just thought I'd toss out some of my observations as points to ponder.
Top Top