Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 9:25:14 PM EDT
Any thoughts on Smith's 1911 Pistols. Quality,Reliability and Accuracy? I'm considering an all-steel model.
Was in the market for a new Beretta Vertec but couldn't keep my mind off of owning another 1911.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been trying to save money for a S&W Performance Center 1911, but havnt heard much -- does anyone here have any experience with em?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
a friend of mine has the 1911SC

it is NICE for the money he paid for ($675)

accurate enough, over 300rnds so far, 0 malfuncitons

quality is top notch

its light as anything too

the only thing i would have changed were to get night sights; also, its got an external extractor, but its not so bad
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I own one.... good solid, basic pistol.. great accuracy for the 4" commander length tube in the "Sc" model.. and a real joy to carry with the Scandium frame.

2500 rounds downrange so far... no malfunctions.. no failure to feed, ect..

Priced in the high $600's to mid $700's, its a solid buy for a basic carry worth 1911.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Picked up a SC1911PD at show a couple of months ago.  Was carrying SA as my primary, but after 3000 failure free rounds (and these puppies seem to eat anything) have swapped over to the SW.

Only problem had seems to be a factory frequent...front site came through slightly off.  One tap with the punch and can put a mag into a ragged hole at 15 with a hand rest or 1.5" off-hand.

Ran through all the qual courses without a miss...and yes, when having to carry sometimes days without pulling off, the scandium mojo makes my back very happy.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]
SW1911PD review @ Guns and Ammo Mag.. I absolutely adore mine :)  

Upgrades I have in mind--and these are all just based on taste.  I love it as it is, but why not make it look purdy? :D

Trigger job to lighten it slightly
Damascus Trigger
Damascus Hammer
Extended Slide Lock Release
Possible Replacement of Grip Safety with Titanium one (but in black)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for a second.  All I have heard is good and several I have seen are finely made.  Smith and Wesson has a warranty second to none.  

I recently needed a repair on a 15yr.old rimfire pistola.  They sent me a prepaid package to send it in and fixed it for free, and quickly to boot.

I want a commander sized scandium frame/stainless slide model and it is on my shopping list.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
On the subject of repairs and such for SW.  If you were to down the road send it in to get it refinished back to original does that cost anything to do that?  Or is that part of the warranty--finish wear?

If it does cost something about how much does it run?  I plan on using my gun fairly heavily and would expect wear.  So down the road I forsee this being something I'll have to do.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I went to Four Season's, here in MA., and plunked a down payment on a Stainless 5"  Smith 1911. While there I ran into another customer who already has one and had nothing but great things to say about it.
Hope to be able to pick it up before the New Year. I'll offer my range report when I get a chance to shoot it. Thanks to all for the interest in my question. Happy Holiday's!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]
At this time I don't personally own a S&W 1911 (that will change shortly). From everything I've heard from people I trust, they are great 1911s especially for the cost.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I recently bought a 1911PD commander.  LOVE IT!  Great fit and finish.  200 rounds so far and functioned perfectly.  Very pleased with the accuracy as well.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another for my next 1911.  In fact, I am strongly considering it being the 5" 1911PD.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Stainless target model.

I was unsure about the external extractor at first, but not any more.

It is one of the best out of the box 1911's I ever owned and still own.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top