Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/17/2005 11:18:09 AM EDT
I'm going to say this again for two reasons:

One: If you've got the $1895 for a 1* built on SA G.I.
Two: If you want the single best true custom 1911 that is fairly readily available.

Of all the 1911s I own, this custom, not semi-custom is the absolute best deal going for one that is "readily" available.

I know $1900 is a lot of money, but compared to other 1911s in this price range this is a true "bargain".

I own two of these as well as many other 1911s. Please feel free to IM me with questions.

Link Posted: 10/17/2005 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I second the motion.  And the 1* Enhanced is less than 1500 dollars.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The 1* is a great deal.  You really can't go wrong with any Yo-Bo gun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Well wheres the freakin pics??
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#5]
As usual I will be the one voice of dissent on this.

Few, if any, longtime Gunsite associates will have anything to do with Yost.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you really want to start this again and does that make the guns a bad deal?

According to them, yes it does.

When the current director and many instructors at one of the most respected firearms training facilities in the world tells me to stay away from a 'smith, I tend to take notice.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Mister 'In_Burrito'
Having been a neutral observer of what happened at Gunsite, as it was happening, I would strongly suggest that Ted Yost products are quality and have NOTHING to do with the internal/infernal politics at Gunsite and/or Jeff Cooper. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
When the current director and many instructors at one of the most respected firearms training facilities in the world tells me to stay away from a 'smith, I tend to take notice.

YMMV

I've never handled a Yost gun, but it's a piece of hardware that can be compared and evaluated.

According to many who have owned them, shot them, or otherwise used them, they function properly and are usually rated as a A+ in fit and finish.

How does politics effect the function of a tool?

A somewhat curious observer.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... I know $1900 is a lot of money, but compared to other 1911s in this price range this is a true "bargain"...

Call me biased but I'd have to agree... the 1* series are quite simply a fantastic deal.

Are the RRA guns considered "semi-custom"?  How do they rate in YOUR opinion only?
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't understand why all the 1* packages come blued only (unless you go SS).  A no-BS "duty" gun should be parked, at the very least.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but here's a pic of my SA GI that I sent to Yo-Bo for their 1* enhanced except that I wanted Heinie straight eights and a few other alternate options such that it couldn't be called the 1* anymore, not that I cared.  Oh, and they ran out of Heinies so it got their own Yo-Bo "Professional Grade" sights, which have Trijicon inserts in an "8" config.  Disclaimer: My pics. suck.

Also, I had this NRM Colt 1991A1 just sitting around doing nothing, so I sent it to Yo-Bo too for more of a full-house type deal.  It got the Yo-Bo retro rear sight (opened to 0.14") with an gold line insert in the front.  I'ts much better than the SA GI:  

I guess my advice would be:  Go for one of the 1* on an SA GI for good deal, but it's better save up to send a Colt and get even more of a full house, because the difference is striking.  I wish I would have asked for serrations on the top of the slide.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't understand why all the 1* packages come blued only (unless you go SS).  A no-BS "duty" gun should be parked, at the very least.

You can have them in park, hard chrome, Black-T, or what ever you like... all you have to do is ask.

Will take a little longer since the finishing is out-sourced but it's worth it. One more time: The 1* Elite built on an S.A. G.I. is simply the BEST .45ACP 1911 readily available. Please feel free to email me for details/specifics.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yet they have everything to do with Colt, who's QC is pretty much non-existent in the 1911 line.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet they have everything to do with Colt, who's QC is pretty much non-existent in the 1911 line.

Go figure.

I've had Gunsite build m a gun and I've had YoBo build me a gun. Guess who my next ones coming from
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Here are the 1911s I shoot regularly

Wison CQB x2
Wilson Protector x 2
ADCO/RRA x2
Original Series 70 Colt Customized by Roger at ST1 (great job, Roger!)
Kimber Warrior
Kimber Ultra CDP II        
Yost-Bonitz 1* Elites built on S.A, G.I.  Pistols
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm looking for a custom shop but hesitate to go the 1* route since I ma not LE or a veteran and it seems poseur-ish to me to get a gun with that logo

Maybe the work is worth the 1500, but it doesn't 'look' like it.

For the uninitiated, tell me about the value and the comparative pluses of the Yo-Bo shop's work.

Is it just to boast a YB worked gun? Even though it is unlikely either will see/work on the gun?- (that's a guess)

Not as skeptical as I am new to 1911 custom work

TIA
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#20]

For the uninitiated, tell me about the value and the comparative pluses of the Yo-Bo shop's work

It's much more about function (and reliability) for me than aesthetics.  1911s are great guns but IMO they are more difficult to manufacture cheaply than say Glocks.  1911s have a lot of intricately machined parts and parts which work better if they are of better quality steel.  This means that to be competetively priced manufactures of 1911s are using cheaper parts, like softer steel MIM parts like Kimber uses, or cruder machineings (non-rounded sharp edges) like on the SA GI or Colts.  These are just a few examples.  Plus the way the parts are fit together can lead to inacuracy and potential reliabilty issues.  1911s are something like old German clocks.  It's not something that lends itself completely to mass manufacturing.  

1911s are a great and a proven platform.  For the 0.45 there's no rival, and there's a lot of reason why 0.45 is the caliber of choic for many.  Just look at what's used in USPSA and IDPA pistol competitions.  Stock 1911s have slipped some IMO given the necessity to compete pricewise with cheaper to manufacture guns such as Glocks.  

A good smith job includes using choice parts of hard steel, which are then carefully fitted together for near perfect function.  At the same time nice ergomic features can be worked in such as beavertails, thumbsafetys, checkering, etc. all of your choice to fit your hand.  Also, aesthetics are then worked in to make one if the most beautiful firearms you can own.  I peice of a lifetime.  

Yo-Bo is a top smithy shop but there are many equally good.  Yo-Bo is reasonable and prompt compared to other top shops, especially on the 1* packages done on the SA GIs, which is what this post is originally about.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...Few, if any, longtime Gunsite associates will have anything to do with Yost.

You have posted this before.  As much as some like to bring up all the "Gunsite associates" who dislike Yo-Bo's , I have yet to see actual names or seen any real first hand accounts.   Unless if there are any first hand accounts, I'll have to call...

It's sort of like when "Mad Dog" says Ted's not a real pistolsmith

R
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Coulton Bagnoli under the watchful eye of Ted Yost works on the 1* pistols. Just ask no less than AJohnston what he thinks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#24]
To paraphrase 'In_Burrito', " Few, if any, longtime professional gunsmiths will have anything to do with the present ownership and associates of Gunsite". These are NOT the same quality professional staff that built the reputation of Gunsite. The present associates and owner are less than professional and do NOT turn out quality 1911's or 1911 work such as that done 10 to 15 years ago. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I would love to get a Yost one day.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
To paraphrase 'In_Burrito', " Few, if any, longtime professional gunsmiths will have anything to do with the present ownership and associates of Gunsite". These are NOT the same quality professional staff that built the reputation of Gunsite. The present associates and owner are less than professional and do NOT turn out quality 1911's or 1911 work such as that done 10 to 15 years ago. Charles the Gunsmith.  

Now hold on. All of the staff at Gunsite that I have met were excellent professional people. The Gunsmithy's weakness is that Corey Trapp is not a pistolsmith. He is however, a top notch armorer, capable of diagnosing and fixing problems in a multitude of weapons.

When Yost was in the Gunsmithy, they had a top notch pistolsmith in the shop. At least at Gunsite they have a Gunsmithy and pro shop, unlike most venues.

The Colt GSP is a fairly decent production piece. I shot a few of the rentals, and they were great guns despite having a high round count. Not on a par with 1* pistols though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a custom shop but hesitate to go the 1* route since I ma not LE or a veteran and it seems poseur-ish to me to get a gun with that logo

For the uninitiated, tell me about the value and the comparative pluses of the Yo-Bo shop's work.

Is it just to boast a YB worked gun? Even though it is unlikely either will see/work on the gun?- (that's a guess)

Not as skeptical as I am new to 1911 custom work

TIA

When you buy a YoBo gun you buy all of Ted's experience.  He has been doing this long enough to now what little details need to be attended to.  His work is fantastic, and he has trained the smiths that work for him to a very high level.  He is also committed to his work.  His name is on every gun that leaves his shop, even if he didn't build it.

If you don't want the 1* mark, tell them.  They won't put it on if you don't want it.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#28]
What's the turn around time if you send them a pistol or order one complete?
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

They quote 3-4 months on a 1*, but it seems to be much less right now.  Ted's list is a little longer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2005 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Yes they quoted me 3-4 months too for the SA GI I sent for the 1* like mods.

It took 9 months.  

Which isn't bad.

The good news was that the Colt 1991A1 full house job came back on the same date.  It only took eight months.  

Expect a year and you won't be dissapointed.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#31]
My apologies to all I may have offended. I have met T. Yost. The excellent gunsmith who worked for Yost was Larry Massie, a friend of mine. Massie taught me a lot about building 1911's. Yost and Massie were both treated very poorly by the existing owner and his staff. I have also seen the GSP products turned out recently. They have 'no gunsmithing or fitting' parts installed in them. These are NOT quality products that deserve to be described as 'custom' 1911's. Charles.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#32]
The sources that I've spoken to are all long time instructors at Gunsite who were all present when Yost worked there.  Politics aside, they have all come back with the same opinion of his work.  Personally I choose to trust those that have seen multiple examples of his work shit the bed on the range than someone who happens to have alot of money to blow on safe queens.  While just about any machinist worth his salt could make you a pretty 1911, it takes a bit more to make one run reliably over the long haul.

I want to like the 1* guns, I really do.  I would never have asked the GS staff about them if I didn't want one myself.  I was truly hopeful that it was possible to get a "perfect" 1911 for $1500 (like the 1* Enhanced).  I love the overall look of the gun, and I think the package is a perfect mix of parts & accessories that you need and none that you don't.  The enhanced is very close to what I would spec in a custom scratch-built gun.  It is the implementation that concerns me personally.

again, YMMV

Incidentally, none of the GS folks have recomended their own shop either, so I don't believe that it's a "branding" or "political" issue.  They have all had their own personal varied recomendations.  What they have agreed on is their opinion of Yost.
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Will take a little longer since the finishing is out-sourced but it's worth it. One more time: The 1* Elite built on an S.A. G.I. is simply the BEST .45ACP 1911 readily available. Please feel free to email me for details/specifics.

For the money, make mine a Colt.  I've got several NRM Colts sitting around and at least one of them will go to Y/B when I make up my mind on the work I want done.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I can't tell you what went on at Gunsite when Ted was there, I truly don't know and don't care. What I can tell you is that Coulton Bagnoli of Yost-Bonitz builds the 1* 1911s. I would not hesitate for one second to purchase one of these guns. I have been collecting/shooting/admiring the 1911s that come out of the Yost-Bonitz shop and couldn't be more pleased, especially for the price to value ratio.
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#35]
This looks like a good place for this:

Stokes Yo-Bo Commander
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Like I said I have Two 1* Elites built on S.A. G.I.s One now has over 10,000 rounds through it without a SINGLE problem of any kind. Kind of speaks for itself, doesn't it? I'd buy another one in a "New York minute".
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Like I said I have Two 1* Elites built on S.A. G.I.s One now has over 10,000 rounds through it without a SINGLE problem of any kind. Kind of speaks for itself, doesn't it? I'd buy another one in a "New York minute".

If you get a good deal buy me one too.........

Hi SGB. I know you're just playing but the thing is they are such a great deal to begin with. If you don't want the "fancy" stuff its $1495 for the 1* Enhanced or $1895 for the 1* Elite. For a true "custom" gun these are a bargain when compared to the semi-customs. I know since I own both. If you consider what you're getting for the money, the value is obvious. The other nice thing is the turn-around time is very reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll give my personal experience on the pistol work of Ted Yost. He  re-built a Kimber Compact in late 2001. I was one of the first, if not the first, guns he built after leaving gunsite. He did an excellent job. The gun has not failed.

He also worked on a Browning HP in the srping of 2002. Again the work was outstanding with no problems.

In February of 2003 I sent off a Caspian frame and slide that my wife gave me for my 40th birthday. Ted created a work of art. The pistol is beautiful and 100% reliable. He is honest and a man of integrity. When he built my Caspian I outlined what I wanted and never discussed the price. When the final bill came in it was less than I expected.

I'm speaking from my personal experience. If anyone in in NJ wants to shoot my Yost guns let me know. I'll vote with my wallet. In '06 I'll be sending two (2) guns to the Yo-Bo shop for some TLC.

Here is an "action shot" of my Caspian.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
This looks like a good place for this:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/[email protected]/Custom%201911s/Yo-Bo%2038%20Super/YoBo38Super4.jpg
Stokes Yo-Bo Commander

Nice piece, and nice Seiko too.  Sweet picture.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#41]
(bumping so we don't lose this thread.)

Also, the discussion here is centering around the Enhanced & Elite packages. Anyone have any comments on the standard 1* package?

I'm looking at having this done on a new Colt Series 70 with the addition of front strap serrations and the retro sights.

ETA: because my grammar is teh sux.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#42]
If the feature set of the 1* fits your needs, you will not be disappointed.

DW

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Did Bill Yao work over that watch? Nice YoBo Too...!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Yost was able to salvage my Colt '91 from the wreck caused by a local "smith" (read: fucktard).  This required major welding to the frame tangs and replacement of most of the internals.  The end product is phenomenal - accurate, reliable, attractive, dependable.  Could I ask for more?

When talking with Ted on the phone one day, I mentioned how I'd like to get a NRM Colt to add to the stable.  He mentioned that one was available locally, NIB, and he'd be glad to pick it up for me.  Great.  Number 2 was at my door about 9mos later.

Long story short, I won't do business with Ted again b/c it's not fair to the other gunsmiths out there.  Ted's gotten two pistols out of my wallet and I think it's only fair that I share the wealth with other gunsmiths.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to someone looking for a good shooter, though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#45]
OK kinda seems like this may be the right place to get some info on what I have just bought.

A 2000 S/A Millinieum Edition Gunsite GSP

Is this better than the current Colt offering?

Did Yost have anything to do with this package?

A friend had it and I liked it.

I think I got a good deal but still would like to know exactly what I have.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
According to them, yes it does.

YMMV

So you’re going to go with the “hearsay and innuendo mode” again are you, great plan I’m sure no one will see through it at all . I won’t play the line of airing everyone’s dirty laundry on the internet but I have to ask you, ever heard of politics?

Those who wish to buy into your rumor mill may do so if they like. The rest are free to contact me and get real feed back from someone who knows and has built guns with Ted.

Quoted:
Are the RRA guns considered "semi-custom"? How do they rate in YOUR opinion only?

I would put the RRA guns in the semi-custom category. All of them that I have seen have been very nice in relation to their cost. IMO, they’re a solid offering in a competitive market.  

I never understand why RRA's aren't considered true customs.  You can specify what parts you want, what sights, finish, you can have them fit it looser or however you want kinda like the Adco RRA's with how they were fit looser, and basically anything else.  I always thought a true custom is considered a true custom because you specify everything and you can do that with RRA.  

I am not saying this because I ordered a RRA.  It just seems to fit the definition.  If someone could point out where I am wrong that would help.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
(bumping so we don't lose this thread.)

Also, the discussion here is centering around the Enhanced & Elite packages. Anyone have any comments on the standard 1* package?

I'm looking at having this done on a new Colt Series 70 with the addition of front strap serrations and the retro sights.

ETA: because my grammar is teh sux.

The 1* has a rear end that is heavily modified to prevent it from cutting the user.  While it makes a gun without a beavertail shootable, you will not be able to fit a beavertail in the future.

SIG, a custom gun is, to me, built lovingly by a dedicated craftsman, who has his own style and preferences.  RRA's are good.  They just aren't the same.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#48]
JYOGI -
Ted Yost was at Gunsite when your gun was built. Either Ted Y or Larry Massie built your gun. At that time Ted was building most of the new guns and Larry was doing most of the repair and modification work. There was a lot of overlap, however. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top