User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:07:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’ve had a half dozen set of stag grips over the years.  If you get real stag be sure to research how to care for them.
View Quote

Do you know if any old 1911 style grips would work or does Baer have some proprietary style?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Baers are hardfit meaning the barrel to slide lockup is so tight they have to be “popped on the muzzle” to rack the slide when new.  They loosen up enough to hand rack over 500-1000.

View Quote

Oh the drama.....

I'm an old fat fuck with barely the finger strength to tie my shoelaces and I somehow managed to rack all the Baers I've had just fine. I put bullets in the handle bit and go shoot it...

Nice gun OP, nothing to not like about that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Baers are hardfit meaning the barrel to slide lockup is so tight they have to be “popped on the muzzle” to rack the slide when new.  They loosen up enough to hand rack over 500-1000.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gee take a 2000 dollar gun, hand rack it a 1000 times then replace the spring and he hasn't even shot it yet.   What am I missing here?  Because I took my DW out of the box, lubed it while shooting 500 rounds through it and it run flawless, I paid 1195 for it.

Not being a smart ass, I like to learn..     And to the OP it's a good looking ride, enjoy!  

I knew Baers were tight,  my comment was more directed at him suggesting to replacing the spring.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do you know if any old 1911 style grips would work or does Baer have some proprietary style?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve had a half dozen set of stag grips over the years.  If you get real stag be sure to research how to care for them.

Any Government-sized grips will work.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Any Government-sized grips will work.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's a nice one- but if you're not in a hurry keep an eye on Addicts, pre-loved ones pop up for under $2K pretty frequently.
Go blued- Baer bluing is rubbish, it wears off a bit everytime you look at it, but I like it. If the wear bothers you, you can always have it refinished in melonite/nitride which will last really well.

https://picr.me/i/2020/03/22/VOgWbF.jpg
https://picr.me/i/2020/03/22/VOgp9U.jpg

View Quote

I’m actually glad to have purchased new even with the depreciation. Per Baer, the manufacturers warranty only applies to the original owner (at least that’s what the lady who answered the phone told me).

The guys at the LGS said that Baer is amazing at taking care of his customers to the point that at times he has done cosmetic repairs no questions asked. They had a blue Concept III on display that someone tried to rack with his ring hand. His hand slipped and he left a slide length scratch on it which they refinished no questions asked.

I know some people have expressed concern about the blue fading on it’s own so it’s nice to know that if it bothers me I’ll be taken care of.

That being said, I have no intention of babying her. I’m going to the range this weekend with 500 rounds of Wally World WWB, and hopefully my slide will feel like it’s on “bearings” after that.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I find when they are nice and tight it's helpful to cock the hammer by hand before you pop it open. Takes some of the MS spring out of the equation.

3" and 1.5" guns are built about the same. They just pull the ones that end up being tighter or shoot a bit better to be called the 1.5 and charge more. FWIW there was a big thread on 1911forum where someone bought a 1.5" gun, ransom rest, and the same ammo Baer uses to test. They couldn't get it to hit 1.5 and if I remember correctly just annoyed les so much he said shut up.

They do wear in nicely. you are lapping with build up and lube, which mates the parts well. You could arguably do that with any brand of 1911 (and I have with jewelers paste) and get a similar feel.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I find when they are nice and tight it's helpful to cock the hammer by hand before you pop it open. Takes some of the MS spring out of the equation.

3" and 1.5" guns are built about the same. They just pull the ones that end up being tighter or shoot a bit better to be called the 1.5 and charge more. FWIW there was a big thread on 1911forum where someone bought a 1.5" gun, ransom rest, and the same ammo Baer uses to test. They couldn't get it to hit 1.5 and if I remember correctly just annoyed les so much he said shut up.

They do wear in nicely. you are lapping with build up and lube, which mates the parts well. You could arguably do that with any brand of 1911 (and I have with jewelers paste) and get a similar feel.
View Quote

To be fair, even with a vise 1.5 at 50 is hard to get. Think about the fact that it’s about 3 MOA, and some rifles struggle to do that. Especially with the sights you are getting you are probably painting more than 1.5 inches at 50 yards.

Not making excuses, just being realistic about what to expect. Now if I had a shooting stand that was grounded, and I could ensure repeat placement within that stand every single time while controlling flip to be similar, perhaps I’d be upset about 1.5”. That’s basically why I decided to save the $300. I cannot shoot that well. On my best days I am 1” at 15 yards. Will still have a couple of outliers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:43:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a Les Baer, the Custom Carry Commanche. It was very very accurate and and it did not have any accuracy guarantee.

This was 8 rounds shot at 100 yards.

As I received it, it had a not insignificant chip missing from the left slide rail on the frame. It did not affect accuracy, but it made me question the quality of a Les Baer pistol when I found out others had a chip missing in the same spot.

After owning a custom Dan Wesson and a GI Hellcat, I got an Alchemy Custom Weaponry Prime Elite with the accuracy guarantee and a high polish DLC finish.

It would be hard to find a more beautiful well made pistol. If you have not bought anything yet, take a look at ACW.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh the drama.....

I'm an old fat fuck with barely the finger strength to tie my shoelaces and I somehow managed to rack all the Baers I've had just fine. I put bullets in the handle bit and go shoot it...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh the drama.....

I'm lean, fit, exercise six days a week, eat properly (lean protein, raw organic vegetables, and lots of leafy greens), don't consume alcohol / tobacco / caffeine and prefer a gun that is easy to operate with sweaty (or heaven forbid bloody) hands and stressful situations.   A gun that is for range use only doesn't really matter but any gun that I'm going to carry for defense needs to be easy to operate in less-than-optimal situations.  However, my opinion is just based upon my personal experiences (peaked at shooting 5k rounds a month through 1911s and try to take at least one professional multi-day training class a year but average three ... and have been using 1911s since 1984).

OP, I find it productive to weigh a person's opinion against their choices.

How's that for drama
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm lean, fit, exercise six days a week, eat properly (lean protein, raw organic vegetables, and lots of leafy greens), don't consume alcohol / tobacco / caffeine and prefer a gun that is easy to operate with sweaty (or heaven forbid bloody) hands and stressful situations.   A gun that is for range use only doesn't really matter but any gun that I'm going to carry for defense needs to be easy to operate in less-than-optimal situations.  However, my opinion is just based upon my personal experiences (peaked at shooting 5k rounds a month through 1911s and try to take at least one professional multi-day training class a year but average three ... and have been using 1911s since 1984).

How's that for drama
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh the drama.....

How's that for drama

When I carried a TRS, I admit to modifying my slidestop to make racking easier.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm pretty sure they ship with oversized grips, but any will fit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I vote Les Baer American Handgunner. (Poor quality photo)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a Les Baer, the Custom Carry Commanche. It was very very accurate and and it did not have any accuracy guarantee.

https://i.imgur.com/qmt9JHi.jpg

This was 8 rounds shot at 100 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/n9Zt44Yh.jpg

As I received it, it had a not insignificant chip missing from the left slide rail on the frame. It did not affect accuracy, but it made me question the quality of a Les Baer pistol when I found out others had a chip missing in the same spot.

After owning a custom Dan Wesson and a GI Hellcat, I got an Alchemy Custom Weaponry Prime Elite with the accuracy guarantee and a high polish DLC finish.

https://i.imgur.com/lUoET0Eh.jpg

It would be hard to find a more beautiful well made pistol. If you have not bought anything yet, take a look at ACW.

View Quote

Man that looks good, but I don’t have that kind of money.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How's that for drama
View Quote

You’ve given me some solid and useful advice as have many others in this thread.

Still pretty impressed that you carry a 1911. If you don’t mind me asking do you open or conceal? Deep down inside I desperately want to open carry one as well, but don’t want the problems that come with. Also was that a Milt I saw in your pocket dump? Are those easier on the blue?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Another 1911 carrier! I guess I am not crazy. My tacticool acquaintances made fun of me wanting a 1911, probably be a pariah if I started carrying one. I want to though, pretty bad...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I vote Les Baer American Handgunner. (Poor quality photo)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/382442/20201003_140329_jpg-1839413.JPG
View Quote

Hard chrome and blue?

The more I look at these two tones the happier I am that I chose blue with SS.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

curious- what did you do to the sidestep that made racking easier ?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

curious- what did you do to the sidestep that made racking easier ?
View Quote

Reduced the diameter of the middle of the slidestop pin where the lower lugs bear.  This is the spot that makes the lockup so tight.   Mine's still tight but not ridiculously so.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You’ve given me some solid and useful advice as have many others in this thread.

Still pretty impressed that you carry a 1911. If you don’t mind me asking do you open or conceal? Deep down inside I desperately want to open carry one as well, but don’t want the problems that come with. Also was that a Milt I saw in your pocket dump? Are those easier on the blue?
View Quote

My license allows either open or concealed, but in the 29 years I've been licensed to carry I have never once open carried.

I've owned 3 or 4 Milt Sparks VMII for 1911s but the pictured holster is a DeSantis MadMax.  At $65 and immediately available I recommend you check them out.  Nothing is going to protect Baer bluing from wear past never holstering your gun.  Baer's blue is thin and will wear, but the upside is ... they actually looks nice with some HONEST finish wear.  I'm in the group that thinks a hand-and-holster-worn 1911 looks just as good as a safe queen but in a different way and for different reasons.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not carrying a Baer today, but pulled my MadMax off my belt to help illustrate the coverage / build concept ...

The picture below shows the leather shaved from holster (look in the FCS).  This is on a properly broken in and well worn holster ...

When new, I'd recommend coating your Baer in oil, sticking it in a 1 gallon ZipLock FREEZER (not the cheaper kind because it'll break) bag and leaving the gun in the new holster for 24-48 hours.  It'll help "stretch" the holster to your gun.  The holster will loosen up a little more with use, but not to a point of being "loose".  It won't retain your 46-48oz (loaded) 1911 if inverted but it also won't just 'drop out' .. it'll slowly slide out which is the amount of retention I want.  I'm not conducting any inverted fast ropes with my 1911 so having it clear my holster with "just enough drag" is where I want it.  All of the MadMax's I've owned have functioned this way over time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Regarding your tacticool friends ...

1) Sound advice will ring true but some people have a talent for selling bunk.  Judge the advice based upon the entire picture (is the advise giver: intelligent; effective communicator; have demonstrable experience; make good life choices; etc).
2) When I was younger I had a strong penchant for redheaded women.  All of these years later I still admire the exceedingly rare "freckless" ivory-skinned green eyed redheaded lady.  Why?  She's rare. She's beautiful.  She's special.  The 1911 is no different.
3) Given the same shooting skill level you're going to be able to put rounds on paper more accurately with your Baer than they are with their polymer striker fired pistols.  

At the end of the day, its not the noise and smoke we make but the hits we deliver.  Whether its a fun day at the range or when you're fighting for your life ... only hits count.  The more accurate the better.  Simply hitting a paper plate at 7 yards is absolute garbage and anyone that shoots to these "defensive standards" are a risk to society if they carry their guns.  You want to be able to "thread the needle" easily.  Think of it this way ... if some crazed man is hiding behind your daughter with a knife to her throat ... you have about 2" of kill zone.  Use it wisely.  

Also, research defensive shooting statistics.  You're going to be under 7 yards and shoot less than 3 rounds.  Too many people watch John Wick and envision themselves in that fantasy world.  The real world is much different.  The VAST majority of those who aren't SWAT officers simply don't need 18rds in their guns.  I'd take 2 or 3 perfectly landed 230gr .451" rounds over 3 or 4 115gr .355" rounds every single time.

4) Most advise is bollocks.

For what is worth ... I find a "Government Model 1911" (5" barrel, full sized steel frame) more comfortable to carry than a Glock.  

Just look at that Glock.  It has NEVER been to a class.  That's 25 years of carry wear ... I have tried to enjoy them ... but they are simply the AK of the handgun world.

ETA: That is a Glock 26 ... 10rd 9mm (the so-called "Baby Glock" *gag*).  You can see its not a "tiny" gun compared to a full sized 5" 45ACP 1911.

For daily carry I'll take one of these every time ...

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#23]
NOTE:

If society completely and utterly collapsed or if I were living in an extremely remote place with horrible weather I would probably choose this as my "daily carry" ...

Alas, I'm a normal citizen with an ordinary life and the pride of ownership, craftsmanship, confidence of accurate fire, effective cartridge, and ease of concealment (with a proper belt, holster and cover garment) means I prefer the 1911 over plastic uber-high-capacity 9mms with the ergonomics of a bar of soap and trigger feel of a 1980's toy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't speak to the 1911s themselves, but I have an Armalloyed (hard chromed) Smith Model 28 decades ago.  Best finish ever.  You could shoot it damn near black and it would almost wipe clean.  I had it for a decade and never put a scratch on it.  Contrary to what has been said above mine never flaked or degraded in any way.  I'd buy a hard chromed gun in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can't speak to the 1911s themselves, but I have an Armalloyed (hard chromed) Smith Model 28 decades ago.  Best finish ever.  You could shoot it damn near black and it would almost wipe clean.  I had it for a decade and never put a scratch on it.  Contrary to what has been said above mine never flaked or degraded in any way.  I'd buy a hard chromed gun in a heartbeat.
View Quote

My first Hard Chromed gun was a Browning Hi Power.  At the time I was disappointed because it wasn't stainless.  It didn't take long for me to see the error of my ways.  HC is an outstanding finish if applied by someone like Accurate Plating or Metaloy.

Nickel and Electroless Nickel (e.g. ROBAR NP3) are a completely different story.  I've had nickel plated guns start flaking, etc.  NEVER any issues with a non-Baer Hard Chrome gun.  The only "issue" with Baer HC is it is very soft, and WILL scratch easily.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
NOTE:

If society completely and utterly collapsed or if I were living in an extremely remote place with horrible weather I would probably choose this as my "daily carry" ...

https://i.ibb.co/tJJ4MgK/IMG-6848.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/y62D4S3/IMG-6847.jpg

Alas, I'm a normal citizen with an ordinary life and the pride of ownership, craftsmanship, confidence of accurate fire, effective cartridge, and ease of concealment (with a proper belt, holster and cover garment) means I prefer the 1911 over plastic uber-high-capacity 9mms with the ergonomics of a bar of soap and trigger feel of a 1980's toy.
View Quote

One thing that I get to hear quite often is the concern about going off if dropped. Is that unfounded, or is there any truth behind that?

BTW, my choice for such a circumstance would be similar :)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#27]
The so-called "Series 80" safety was introduced to address inertia ND concerns.  Other companies have used titanium firing pins (no mass for inertia driven primer ignition). I can't say I've dropped enough chambered 1911s to have an inertia ND.

If you're worried about drop safety just buy a Wilson titanium FP.   Be sure to order the correct diameter.  I don't know what diameter Baer uses and I'm too busy to swap LB and Wilson pins ATM.  Wilson currently uses the 9mm/38Super diameter (.065") FPs on their 45ACP  but standard 1911 was (.093").   Wilson sells both (or they use to sell both).
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh, and nice Mark 23. I bought my first USP 45 back in late 1995 (shortly after they were released).  I've had lots of USP, USP Compact, P2000, P2000SK, P30, P30SK, P30L and HK45, HK45C, HK45CT in the years since.  As far as polymer guns go ... they are my absolute choice.   I only have the HK45 now but frankly I don't think a person can wear these out so you don't need a lot of redundancy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh, and nice Mark 23. I bought my first USP 45 back in late 1995 (shortly after they were released).  I've had lots of USP, USP Compact, P2000, P2000SK, P30, P30SK, P30L and HK45, HK45C, HK45CT in the years since.  As far as polymer guns go ... they are my absolute choice.   I only have the HK45 now but frankly I don't think a person can wear these out so you don't need a lot of redundancy.
View Quote

Saw your hard chrome on the EE :((

Wish I had the funds, would jump on it right away.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#30]
15 yards, 100 rounds in groups of 8. About 5 mins between each group, 20 seconds to shoot the 8 rounds. This includes the first rounds ever fired. Fairly windy day, but it was only 15 yards.

All I can say is that I went back to LGS to look for another one. They are awaiting a special Aggie edition with 1.5” that’s unique to the store. I am hooked. I am glad I went the way of the Baer.

BTW, I noticed that the POI shifted. I was getting
the holes, but they seemed to move somewhat every 3-4 groups. May be I was getting tired!?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice looking gun. I was going to get a Baer but cheaped out and got a DW. I really like the DW but if the ammo situation ever improves in going to add a second 1911 and will give LB another look.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Saw your hard chrome on the EE :((

Wish I had the funds, would jump on it right away.
View Quote

Its an awesome handgun.  I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
15 yards, 100 rounds in groups of 8. About 5 mins between each group, 20 seconds to shoot the 8 rounds. This includes the first rounds ever fired. Fairly windy day, but it was only 15 yards.

All I can say is that I went back to LGS to look for another one. They are awaiting a special Aggie edition with 1.5” that’s unique to the store. I am hooked. I am glad I went the way of the Baer.

BTW, I noticed that the POI shifted. I was getting
the holes, but they seemed to move somewhat every 3-4 groups. May be I was getting tired!?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/506474/55B10213-34D6-4AE9-9465-D7AEF76ED630_jpe-1843814.JPG

View Quote

Nice shooting.  Regarding the POI shift ....

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#34]
At the end of my range sessions I usually do a little drill. I’ll place 4 three inch targets at max distance (27 yards). Each target has a 1 inch bullseye. I will try to hit within the circle (1.5” distance of the bullseye) for each target with not more than 4 rounds. I usually never manage to get more than 1-2 with the 16 rounds. Today, after getting new sights on the Concept IV, I tried this drill. For the first time in my life I was able to get all 4 in only 14 rounds. The first 3 took me only 5 rounds! I have never shot anything that makes it so easy before. I have tried this drill with far more expensive pistols, but never been able to get 4 with 16 rounds total. I can only imagine how accurate the 1.5” models are.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top