User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:44:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You seem to overlook a bunch of facts.

Your RIA costs hundreds of $$$ less than your Sig, Colt, STI, etc. Of course the internals aren't going to be as refined costing much, much less. Of course the trigger isn't going to be as nice as a STI. Who in the world would expect Mercedes quality out of a Kia? Answer: no one.

As for mags, everyone & their brother should know by now virtually all 1911 mfgrs use mags to scrimp on pennies. Colt only ships with one mag & has done so for years. Springfield mags are notorious for being true pieces of shit.

I note you don't mention having sold your RIA that you don't like so much. If you have done so, I'd bet you got close to what you paid for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have multiple 1911s including multiple Springfields, Colt, SIG, S&W, STI, and a full size railed Rock Island in 9mm.

Only problem child:  Rock Island.  Mediocre trigger, LRBHO is sketchy with mags from multiple manufacturers, extraction problems, mediocre accuracy. Build quality is pretty good but does anyone actually think their internal components are high quality?  Good tool steel extractors?  Doubtful.

You seem to overlook a bunch of facts.

Your RIA costs hundreds of $$$ less than your Sig, Colt, STI, etc. Of course the internals aren't going to be as refined costing much, much less. Of course the trigger isn't going to be as nice as a STI. Who in the world would expect Mercedes quality out of a Kia? Answer: no one.

As for mags, everyone & their brother should know by now virtually all 1911 mfgrs use mags to scrimp on pennies. Colt only ships with one mag & has done so for years. Springfield mags are notorious for being true pieces of shit.

I note you don't mention having sold your RIA that you don't like so much. If you have done so, I'd bet you got close to what you paid for it.

My 9mm Rock is just like ALASKAFIRE's above.  It was maybe 550ish when I bought it.  Obviously cheaper than a similarly configured Springfield or the like but I know 9mm 1911s to be finicky bitches so I didn't want to dump a load of money.  This pistol is great looking and good fit and finish.  Around the same time I bought an excellent used Springfield Loaded for about $500, and a Springfield Range officer in 45 for myself and my son - about $750 apiece.  Not that long ago.  The Colts and SIG and STI are obviously higher dollar.

The Rock LRBHO never worked reliably with multiple new mags, not on Day 1 and the extractor started missing after about 200 rounds on 2nd range trip.  Sample size one here.  Why not send it back to Rock for warranty work?  Because I don't want to pay shipping from my FFL to get another shit steel extractor and slide relase.  Why not sell it?  Because I don't people malfunctioning firearms to people.  I'll get a smith to fit some new quality 9mm parts when the world gets back to normal. And it needs a different (heavier) recoil spring as the recoil impulse was surprisingly harsh for an all steel 9mm 1911.  It will turn into a good 1911 eventually.

I was trying to raise the point that buying budget firearms makes less sense when the difference between budget and good quality is $200-$300 dollars and that isn't much ammo today.  You will easily dump a 100-200 rounds messing with a finicky gun trying to isolate problems.  I've seen workshops in the Philippines where 1911s are being built and these guys (and kids) know how to build 1911s.  Let me pick a 1911 sight unseen and have to rely on it - not going to be a Rock.  You are free to choose otherwise but the cost difference between a quality tool steel extractor and a Chinese extractor is probably only $25-$30 for a critical part that you aren't getting right.

Also - we are friends here.  If my friend wants to buy a Kia for $17,500 and the Honda equivalent is a Civic for $20,000, I'm telling my friend suck it up and buy a Civic.  Drive off the lot and the Kia depreciates thousands more than a Civic instantly.  And the resale / trade-in value differential grows down the road.  And it's a Kia in the meantime!!

The Springfield Range Officer was probably the best bargain 1911 I have found.  Amazing accuracy, trigger that is 90% of the way to STI level, tight fit, 100% utter reliability for at least a case of ammo using both shit and premium mags.  Need a nothing fancy but reliable 1911?  Springfield GI is hard to beat.  You don't have to spend a lot to get reliability.  Or buy used higher quality guns.  If your Rocks are reliable then you are lucky in my book.  Same with Taurus, Metro, ATI, and the myriad Turkish 1911s.

Hell - I have given up on Ruger but their stainless 1911s were going for $600-$650 a year ago and they have had great reviews.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking for input/experience with Rock Island 1911s. I’ve never owned a 1911 and only shot a couple so don’t know much about them, but I think I want one.

How are Rock Island models?  Reliable?  I know there are very high end ones out there but I’m not looking to spend $2k.   Thoughts on this one?
View Quote

With 1911s generally, your purchasing strategy should always be to buy the least expensive 1911 that has the highest probability of running hiccup-free out of the box .... Even then, chances are it won't, and thus you'll need to throw money at a decent gunsmith (i.e., meaning a competent, 1911-knowledgeable 'smith) to get rid of the hiccups before surrendering to the urge to sell the damn thing.

Hence, a forward-looking purchasing strategy also includes the foresight of laying aside some amount of cash for future 'smithing services ($500.00 at minimum, but $1K isn't too much).

If you never need to spend it, ... well, you're money ahead right there.

But if your new 1911 suddenly morphs into a consistent jam-o-matic after the first mag or so, no worries. That's just your gun's way of welcoming you into the Brave New World of 1911-ownership, but at least you're flush with the necessary funds to get it fixed.

Then it'll be almost as reliable as the Glock you shoulda bought.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The Rock LRBHO never worked reliably with multiple new mags, not on Day 1 and the extractor started missing after about 200 rounds on 2nd range trip.  Sample size one here.  Why not send it back to Rock for warranty work?  Because I don't want to pay shipping from my FFL to get another shit steel extractor and slide relase.  Why not sell it?  Because I don't people malfunctioning firearms to people.  I'll get a smith to fit some new quality 9mm parts when the world gets back to normal. And it needs a different (heavier) recoil spring as the recoil impulse was surprisingly harsh for an all steel 9mm 1911.  It will turn into a good 1911 eventually.

I was trying to raise the point that buying budget firearms makes less sense when the difference between budget and good quality is $200-$300 dollars and that isn't much ammo today.  
View Quote

You make a very good point in the red highlighted section. $200-300 is what, 2-3 50rd boxes of 9mm ammo these days?  

Slight exaggeration on my part but not too terribly much, IMO.

Sorry to hear about your extractor issue(s). These are relatively simple repair(s), IMO. I would just order an Ed Brown (or brand of your choice) from Brownells, swap it in & adjust it as needed. But I also realize some folks aren't comfortable with doing that sort of thing. I remember when I wasn't.

While I realize that any and ALL mfgrs will have a lemon get out of the factory, it's got to be a somewhat small %, IMO. I have sold RIA 1911s at gun shows and gun shops for something like 15 years now. (The shop has only been carrying them that long.) I've never had one come back from an unhappy customer. Not one.

I've had every other brand come back for some sort of issue: Sig, Springfield, Colt (big surprise there), etc. But never a RIA. That tells me something. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

With 1911s generally, your purchasing strategy should always be to buy the least expensive 1911 that has the highest probability of running hiccup-free out of the box .... Even then, chances are it won't, and thus you'll need to throw money at a decent gunsmith (i.e., meaning a competent, 1911-knowledgeable 'smith) to get rid of the hiccups before surrendering to the urge to sell the damn thing.

Hence, a forward-looking purchasing strategy also includes the foresight of laying aside some amount of cash for future 'smithing services ($500.00 at minimum, but $1K isn't too much).

If you never need to spend it, ... well, you're money ahead right there.

But if your new 1911 suddenly morphs into a consistent jam-o-matic after the first mag or so, no worries. That's just your gun's way of welcoming you into the Brave New World of 1911-ownership, but at least you're flush with the necessary funds to get it fixed.

View Quote

This is the exact opposite of my experience with several 1911s over several years and manufacturers, buying both new and used. None of mine have ever needed a trip to a gunsmith.

As for problems I once bought a brand new 9mm Colt that was laser-accurate but sometimes magazine would get stuck in the frame after the last round. Did about 10 minutes of research online and discovered the 9mm was build with a .45 slide lock. Called Colt to confirm and they mailed out a new slide lock (free of charge) and haven't had a problem since. I once had a used Springfield Loaded that would put unusual dents in the case mouth of empty brass. Again about 20 minutes of reading on the web and figured out the extractor tension was loose. I could either re-tension the extractor or take the opportunity to replace it with a Wilson Combat Bulltproof extractor; I chose to spend a few bucks on a new part and fitted/installed it myself.

Point being I guess I could have pussied-out and sent it to a gun mechanic to fix, or I could do a bit of reading and fix my own problems and gain some knowledge along the way. In both repairs I have maybe $50 invested. The rest of my new and used 1911s have been trouble free from day one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I must be walking through the raindrops then.

I bought a used SA Mil-Spec 1911A1 back in the early 1990s. It's been 100%.

I bought a Colt 1911 LW Commander in .38Super last year (or maybe 2 years ago). It's been 100%, even with JHP.

As mentioned, both of my RIA are in 10mm, both steel framed, both have been 100%.

I own more expensive 1911s but one would expect perfection out of a Baer or Nighthawk, so I won't got there with a comparison. Apples & oranges & all that.

I find it hard to believe I'm a 1911 whisperer or some such.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW - I have a Govt model in .45ACP.  Bought used from a gent in Corinth, MS. Likely from the EE here.

He had sent this piece to Tupelo gun works - cylinder and slide fire controls installed, EGW bbl bushing fitted, wilson grip safety, and cerakoted, flat 10-8 trigger and 10-8 sights.

Nice shooter and quite accurate.  The only issue that I have with this sidearm is the frame and barrel fit are so off, if I begin with it white glove clean and well lubed, can only shoot +/- 200 rounds of brass cased quality ammo before start having FTF/FTE issues.  Running Wilson and CMC mags.  I bought recoil springs - 14 - 19 #.  Found that 18 is the best fit.

For $400 gun in case and 2 wilson mags and original OEM mag (mecgar or ....), I think I came out OK
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top