BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice work!

I started taking mine apart last night so I can finish blending and polishing. Then I need to figure out what I want to do for a finish. I guess I will probably parkerize it to protect everything and make it uniform, but I'm not a huge fan of the parkerized look.
View Quote
I'm going to try my hand at rust bluing the frame.

It's going to be mismatched since the slide and some of the small parts are parkerized but meh...
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes, it goes into battery with just the slide stop and bushing in place. I was planning on putting a Wilson Combat #3 Standards Link. I believe it's a .278" link. I'll also double check the next smallest one just to be sure.
View Quote
If your chosen link will 1) pull the barrel clear of the upper lugs -- you are ideally wanting .010" clearance but practically speaking, a little less will work -- and allow the barrel to stop on the VIS instead of the link when fully linked down, that's what you're shooting for.

If your link won't allow the barrel to link down in time, you'll need a shorter one.

If the link won't allow the barrel to stop on the VIS, you'll need a longer one.

That's the basics of link selection; if you are in a situation where neither of these things happen with a given link, that's when it gets interesting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If your chosen link will 1) pull the barrel clear of the upper lugs -- you are ideally wanting .010" clearance but practically speaking, a little less will work -- and allow the barrel to stop on the VIS instead of the link when fully linked down, that's what you're shooting for.

If your link won't allow the barrel to link down in time, you'll need a shorter one.

If the link won't allow the barrel to stop on the VIS, you'll need a longer one.

That's the basics of link selection; if you are in a situation where neither of these things happen with a given link, that's when it gets interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it goes into battery with just the slide stop and bushing in place. I was planning on putting a Wilson Combat #3 Standards Link. I believe it's a .278" link. I'll also double check the next smallest one just to be sure.

I checked the bottom lug last night, the #3 link seems to fit the best but the Wilson Combat #2 also seems to work and it’s a smaller link. The #4 is too big. I’ll know for sure which link tonight because I can’t actually fit the link pin in the lug because the hole in the lug is way too small. I bought a reamer for it that should be here today.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, looks like the dumbass post office lost my reamer and a few other 1911 things I ordered. Shows available for pickup but the three times I went to the post office they said they never received it. I’m not real happy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, looks like the dumbass post office lost my reamer and a few other 1911 things I ordered. Shows available for pickup but the three times I went to the post office they said they never received it. I’m not real happy.
View Quote
Sanding down the link pin by chucking it in a drill is a pretty good workaround.  Sand down the end sticking out and then flip it over and sand down the other half.  You can also use a file instead of sandpaper but that takes more finesse and it's easy to take off too much.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sanding down the link pin by chucking it in a drill is a pretty good workaround.  Sand down the end sticking out and then flip it over and sand down the other half.  You can also use a file instead of sandpaper but that takes more finesse and it's easy to take off too much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went to harbor freight and picked up a #23 .154" drill bit and used it with my hand to debur the holes in the bottom lug. Got the link pin and a #3 Wilson Combat link installed. Slide goes all the way forward and the barrel locks up with the recoil rod and spring installed.

Gotta do a little frame to slide blending but it's better than slide to frame blending and it's a very little bit. Guess this weekend I'll work on fitting the trigger and beaver tail and safety.

I don't want to put the ejector and tube on until I can blue the frame. Maybe I'll do that this weekend too. Although I should probably install the ejector to blend that too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Went to harbor freight and picked up a #23 .154" drill bit and used it with my hand to debur the holes in the bottom lug. Got the link pin and a #3 Wilson Combat link installed. Slide goes all the way forward and the barrel locks up with the recoil rod and spring installed.

Gotta do a little frame to slide blending but it's better than slide to frame blending and it's a very little bit. Guess this weekend I'll work on fitting the trigger and beaver tail and safety.

I don't want to put the extractor and tube on until I can blue the frame. Maybe I'll do that this weekend too. Although I should probably install the extractor to blend that too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to put the extractor and tube on until I can blue the frame. Maybe I'll do that this weekend too. Although I should probably install the extractor to blend that too.
You should be able to temp fit the extractor without pinning it, for blending.  With the slide on, it won't go anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You should be able to temp fit the extractor without pinning it, for blending.  With the slide on, it won't go anywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I just had it on with the slide and you're right, it didnt go anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you guys mean to say ejector?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I meant ejector. Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If your doing a 80% 1911/2011 build you will a lot of specialized tools and jigs to do the job correctly...even if your
building from a 100% stripped 1911 frame like a PSA you will still need some specialized 1911 tools like a 1911 rail
file, various stones, emery cloth/paper of different grits, funsmith punch set, etc. You may even need a barrel feet
cutter and they don't come cheap...Specialized 1911 tools and jigs are not cheap by any means and prices stack up
pretty fast.

For those that want to build a 1911/2011 pistol from the ground up (100% finished stripped frame) which can be
very rewarding for sure, I would recommend purchasing a fitted frame and slide kit...this way there is a minimum
amount of need to buy specialized tools and jigs, etc. Usually the slide to frame fitting cost you the most time and
effort, follow by the barrel to slide fitting, and then the sight installation and fitting (provided you have purchased
funsmith fit parts for your build). Ignition parts are best purchased as a kit from a well known manufacturer...If
your building a bare-bones 1911 as you may have decided that of course would not apply to you.

Good luck.
View Quote
What would I google to find the fitted frame and slide kit?  Or do you have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What would I google to find the fitted frame and slide kit?  Or do you have any suggestions?
View Quote
Brazos Custom will sell a fitted 2011 frame and slide kit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Brazos Custom will sell a fitted 2011 frame and slide kit.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#14]
After spending Thursday, Friday and part of today fighting with the post office they finally found my package. They said it had fallen down behind a door in the delivery vehicle. While I don't need the reamer now I dont have to buy a new bushing because it has an assortment of bushings in it. My wife has it with her while shes at work.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's going to be mismatched since the slide and some of the small parts are parkerized but meh...
View Quote
Do you know how you're going to rust blue it yet? I saw some videos online about melting down stump remover haha.

Is there any way to get a nice deep rich blue by DIY?

I undercut my trigger guard this weekend and finished the blending of the slide/frame, and the frame/beavertail/ambi safeties, so I think I'm ready to refinish.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do you know how you're going to rust blue it yet? I saw some videos online about melting down stump remover haha.

I undercut my trigger guard this weekend and finished the blending of the slide/frame, and the frame/beavertail/ambi safeties, so I think I'm ready to refinish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll be using Laurel Mountain Barrel Brown & Degreaser. It was recommended to me because it’s fairly easy to use. It’ll be the first time I’m bluing something.

I won’t be ready to blue anything for a while.I keep screwing parts up. I was wondering why my safety wouldn’t engage so I looked through my book and realized I had to file down a little area on it. Well...dumbass me filed too much down so now the safety doesn’t work at all. Then I was still having an issue with the beaver tail interfering with the trigger bow so I took a little more off the back of it. Well now, the hammer drops without using the beaver tail.

I’m an idiot, but considering I’ve never done a build like this it’s to be expected. I’m just annoyed I blended the beaver tail almost perfectly to the frame and now I’ve got to fit another one.

I want to undercut the trigger guard and checker the front strap but the way I’m going now I’ll completely fuck it up so I’m not even going to bother. It’s one thing to screw up the small parts but to screw up the frame in a state that makes gun purchases a nightmare I’d rather not mess with the frame.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll proudly admit, I used a Dremel

I started out with a round file but the dremel sanding drum is like the perfect diameter haha. I didn't go crazy, I left about 0.060" of thickness below the trigger track based on my layout lines.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll proudly admit, I used a Dremel

I started out with a round file but the dremel sanding drum is like the perfect diameter haha. I didn't go crazy, I left about 0.060" of thickness below the trigger track based on my layout lines.
View Quote
I’ve been good, usually the first thing I go for is the Dremel because I have zero patience for anything. But I’ve used files and sandpaper for everything so far. And I’m proud to admit that I’ve been ordering the specialty tools as I need them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Uggghhh..... This is taking a lot longer than I thought. Well here's a little update. Got my new safety and beaver tail yesterday so I spent a few minutes fitting them and here's where I'm at.

Attachment Attached File

I think I still need to adjust the thumb safety because it seems squishy going into the safe position but I'm not sure if it's because I don't have the plunger tube installed. Since I went with a stainless beavertail I'm going to replace the trigger with a silver one, the slide catch will be stainless and the bushing will be stainless as well..

I actually have a new bushing and got a reamer to fit it.

So far everything seems to be working. With the old safety it would not go into the half cock notch but now it does. And now both safeties work as they should.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I media blasted mine yesterday. 80 grit glass beads. Still kinda rough, should I re blast it with a finer grit before parking? Or toss the frame and slide in the wet tumbler (separately)?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Man, my frame wasn't nearly that rough. I hit it with some 320 sandpaper then started bluing it last night.

Attachment Attached File

That's after the third time being boiled.. I'm gonna hit it a few more times. Oh, and this is the first time I'm even attempting rust bluing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Man, my frame wasn't nearly that rough. I hit it with some 320 sandpaper then started bluing it last night.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/417902/IMG_20200223_212429_jpg-1289468.JPG

That's after the third time being boiled.. I'm gonna hit it a few more times. Oh, and this is the first time I'm even attempting rust bluing.
View Quote
That's looking good

To clarify, mine was nice and smooth before I media blasted everything haha. Those pics were immediately after, i hadn't wiped them down or anything.

But it's definitely rougher after blasting than before.

ETA - I just ordered some 220grit aluminum oxide. I'll reblast with that
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's looking good

To clarify, mine was nice and smooth before I media blasted everything haha. Those pics were immediately after, i hadn't wiped them down or anything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/417902/IMG_20200223_212429_jpg-1289468.JPG

That's looking good

I remember reading you can blue or park with the rough surface after media blasting but it would be a matte finish as opposed to shiny.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who's beavertail gs did you use? Looks like it has the wrong radius for the frame tangs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Who's beavertail gs did you use? Looks like it has the wrong radius for the frame tangs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fusion .250 radius. Why do you say they look wrong? Ehh...who am I kidding, I probably messed the tangs up when fitting the safety.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Fusion .250 radius. Why do you say they look wrong? Ehh...who am I kidding, I probably messed the tangs up when fitting the safety.
View Quote
Oops, copied the wrong photo. Meant to ask thormx638 that..

Yours looked fine
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yours looked fine
View Quote
I used the Wilson Combat jig. Now that you mention it and I go back and read the description of the Wilson jig, it says "NOT for 0.250 radius", I could have sworn it said "for" when I ordered it. Oops

The beavertail itself is the one that came in the Rock Island kit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I used the Wilson Combat jig. Now that you mention it and I go back and read the description of the Wilson jig, it says "NOT for 0.250 radius", I could have sworn it said "for" when I ordered it. Oops

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yours looked fine

I've replaced pretty much everything that came in the RIA kit. I probably would've been better off buying only the slide.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I reblasted mine with 220 white aluminum oxide. Way better! The difference may not show up in resized phone pics that well but in person it's obvious.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I reblasted mine with 220 white aluminum oxide. Way better! The difference may not show up in resized phone pics that well but in person it's obvious.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/263232/IMG_20200227_193510_copy_759x1012_jpg-1293864.JPG
View Quote
Oh hell yeah!  You can see the difference.

Nice job.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Need some help. When the safety is engaged if I depress the beavertail and pull the trigger the hammer drops to the half cock notch. What gives?
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Make sure the trigger is allowing sufficient overtravel.  Remove the mag catch temporarily if that helps.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Make sure the trigger is allowing sufficient overtravel.  Remove the mag catch temporarily if that helps.
View Quote
Mag catch has not been installed.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll deal with the safety thing later. Right now it's....

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Oil bath time!!!
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Mag catch has not been installed.
View Quote
Remove the grip safety and look at where the disconnector paddle interacts with the sear feet.  Make sure the paddle is getting well up under the sear feet (.020 at least) and not just barely grabbing the edge.   Could be the disconnector is bottoming out in the disconnector notch in the slide and not rising far enough.

Also, how high would you say the hammer hooks are?
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Refinishing day for me too.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Manganese parkerizing. Worked really well, it's a very nice rich black.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you dont have the slide on that will happen.  Press the disconnecter in with your thumb and try it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need some help. When the safety is engaged if I depress the beavertail and pull the trigger the hammer drops to the half cock notch. What gives?
If you dont have the slide on that will happen.  Press the disconnecter in with your thumb and try it.
I'll try that tomorrow after it comes out of the oil bath.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
The disconnector will be all the way in the "up" position when the slide is in battery and ready to fire.   Pressing the disconnector down will disengage it from the sear.

Now, "up" with the slide off may be different than "up" with the slide on, depends on the depth of the disconnector notch and length of the disconnector.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#40]
It came out very nice by the way...220 grit blasting media is pretty much the mean standard for firearms prep finishing/refinishing...
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#42]
You all have me considering a build.

I hope you're happy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Alright, got the frame out of the oil bath and cleaned up. Now I'm assembling it. With the slide on the thumb safety on and depressing the beavertail the hammer does not drop to the half cock notch. But I do notice that sometimes if I squeeze the beavertail safety on with the thumb safety engaged and let go the beavertail remains in the on position; pushed in. It feels like the trigger is rubbing on the beavertail somewhere.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I've still got to fit the recoil spring cap, it doesn't quite lock in under the bushing. I also have a stainless main spring housing coming in stainless.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Alright, got the frame out of the oil bath and cleaned up. Now I'm assembling it. With the slide on the thumb safety on and depressing the beavertail the hammer does not drop to the half cock notch. But I do notice that sometimes if I squeeze the beavertail safety on with the thumb safety engaged and let go the beavertail remains in the on position; pushed in. It feels like the trigger is rubbing on the beavertail somewhere.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/417902/IMG_20200301_135526_jpg-1297748.JPG
View Quote
It is.  Lightly polish the underside of the arm and top of the trigger bow where it rides.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It is.  Lightly polish the underside of the arm and top of the trigger bow where it rides.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/417902/IMG_20200301_135526_jpg-1297748.JPG
Worknig on it.

Ughhh... it's killing me.  Had the disconnector, sear and hammer out. Got it to where it wasn't sticking. Put it all back together and it's still sticking. I dont want to ruin another beavertail.... I walked away from it for the rest of the evening. Maybe I'll work on it when my other mainspring housing gets here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Still can't get the beavertail safety to not stick.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Is your grip safety leg of the leaf spring bent enough?

When it's stuck in, how much pressure upwards on the beavertail (the part where the hammer lands when cocked) is required to unstick it? Or is it totally jammed?
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is your grip safety leg of the leaf spring bent enough?

When it's stuck in, how much pressure upwards on the beavertail (the part where the hammer lands when cocked) is required to unstick it? Or is it totally jammed?
View Quote
It's a mixture of playing with the beavertail and the trigger to get it unstuck. I thought the spring was bent enough, I guess I could try bending it some more.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm starting to get really frustrated with this. I took everything apart and readjusted it a few more times. I was happy because it wasn't doing it anymore. As soon as I put the mag catch back in the frame it starts hanging up again. I take the mag catch out, it operates as normal, put it back in it hangs up. Every damn time. The trigger does not come all the way out which hangs the beavertail up. I can not see where the trigger bow is rubbing the mag catch. I just threw a magazine in it for giggles and it's worse when a mag is in it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top