Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2017 1:50:49 AM EDT
I have a Springfield "GI .45" 1911 with walnut grips. I've noticed that they wobble just a bit, which I find kind of distracting when gripping it. Anybody know of any fixes to make the grips stay more firmly in place? (Preferably other than just buying new grips.)

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 2:32:02 AM EDT
[#1]
if you looked at the grips and grip screws check the grip bushings
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 2:59:11 AM EDT
[#2]
As already posted, narrow down where the wiggle is coming from, are the bushing tight in the frame?  If they are then are the grips tight on the bushings?  And if they are, then are the grip screws going all the way in and securing the grips?

You can use rubber o-rings on the bushing if it's the grip that's loose on the bushing, a bushing driver (a screwdriver with better flats and usually a circle to keep the bushing from slipping out, you can buy one from Brownell's) to tighten the bushings, or replace them, and if the grip screws aren't holding tight then you need to replace them.  Little tiny washers can help in the top of the grip screw hole, like the ones Sig uses in the old P226 grips.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 4:02:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve tried o rings and little washers before. Recently a range buddy (retired plumber) told me to play around with pipe threading tape. Problem solved. You can build up areas you need with it and also use it to secure the screws. The only thing I’m not sure on it is the longevity. Seems to be the cats meow for now
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
A more permanent fix for loose revolver or auto grips is to use a 5 minute epoxy to correct fit.

For the 1911 apply a good coat of wax to the frame, threads and underside of the head of the grip screw, and bushings.  Don't wipe it off, let dry 30 minutes.
Mix a little 5 minute epoxy and put a bead around the base of the grip screw bushing, keeping it off the threads and driver slots.
Put the grip on and screw the grip screw in until it JUST starts to snug down.

Let stand in a warm place and watch the excess left over epoxy to judge the cure.
When it's like firm rubber remove the grip and clean up the excess.
Replace the grip and re-snug the screw, let cure completely.
The epoxy will bond to the grips around the bushing hole.  If the grips have oil around the hole, degrease with 90% alcohol.

The wax to use is Johnson's Paste Wax in big yellow cans at most hardware and Walmart stores.
Note that you can usually use shoe polish wax, but NOT car wax.  Car wax is not suitable for this task.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of great ideas here, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 4:54:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve tried o rings and little washers before. Recently a range buddy (retired plumber) told me to play around with pipe threading tape. Problem solved. You can build up areas you need with it and also use it to secure the screws. The only thing I’m not sure on it is the longevity. Seems to be the cats meow for now
View Quote
this is what I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top