Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2017 10:29:20 PM EDT
What's the lowdown on these guns? I've never seen or heard of these before.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/zenith-zig-m45-45acp.html
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
No clue. Yet for the price not sure I would get one or get one of the RRA 1911's for a little more and which from what I have read appear to be a great entry level 1911.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a Springfield I bought in the late 80's that was nice. I got in a bind a few years ago and had to sell it and my Garand to make the house payment.
I have since converted to the dark side but would like another 1911 as a range toy.
Decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:51:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Buying good gear is important to everyone, but making sure you're getting something of decent quality is extremely important when finances won't permit you to immediately run out and buy something better when you make a bad purchase. I've only seen one of those Zig pistols for sale and it was used on a local trader board where it sat for a while. Not sure if it sold, or if the seller got frustrated and allowed the ad to expire.

While they may prove to be good pistols, there doesn't seem to be enough of them in th hands of shooters to know for sure. The Rock Island Armory guns have been around for quite a while, and have proven to be a pretty safe bet for n entry level 1911, that will retain its value in the event that you are forced to part with it.

If money is tight, I'd go with the more proven RIA.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#4]
It's the following
Turkish built gun
Trigger is over sprung and takes about an 8-10 pull
Series 80

If you can live with the series 80 you can get a new spring to drop the pull.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Zenith the tv or watch maker?

You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered one and will try to post some pictures next week. As far as I can tell they are made by TISAS in Turkey.

I ordered one of their standard GI clones a couple of years ago for the same price and it has been trouble free so far, but I only shoot it occasionally or let friends shoot it when they want to try a non-polymer gun in .45.  Everyone who has shot it has liked it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting guide rod.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of the 9mm ones in stainless. All and all, it's not bad for a $400-ish (the stainless was $425) 1911. The outside is actually fairly good looking. Inside it's a bit rough (actually, cringeworthy might be more appropriate). I took it all apart, cleaned up the trigger parts, put a relief angle on the sear (there was none), stoned the sides of the sear and hammer, cleaned up the sides of the trigger bow, jammed some flitz in the slide rails to polish them up with the slide a bit. They're all MIM parts (not the slide or frame) so I know the edges are not going to last that long but it actually didn't turn out that bad. Ambi safety had a sharp edge to it so I had to smooth it out with a dremel. Replaced the grips with an ebay $30 set of G10 grips. Much nicer. Factory grips almost seem like they're "pressed" out of particle board or something - they're smooth - but almost too smooth.  Want to shoot it some before putting better parts in it. The recoil spring is  the double coil type - like the Glock 26. Bushingless barrel.  Sights are actually nice. Mainspring housing is metal - plenty of "name" brand guns don't even do that.

As you can see:

This is the inside of the ejection port. It's like...wow. Does it affect function. No. Will it be a weed high sonofabitch to clean. Yep (if you like your guns like that).

Outside, aside from the sharp ambi safety edges, it's a good looking gun. Stainless, rail, ambi safety, beavertail, good sights, bushingless barrel, 3 magazines, fairly good fit, machining finish kinda -meh.

Is it worth the money? Up to you. You could do a lot worse with 4 Franklins on the counter. Would I carry it down the bad side of Chicago? No. Not when you can by a CZ P-07 for about the same money. AS a range toy-play with something different-lets goof around shooting IDPA with it one weekend gun? Sure.

Also, Tisas is not making pistols anymore. When they're gone, they're gone so if you want one, better snag one.

Link Posted: 11/29/2017 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, so it looks good but the proof of the puddin' is in the eatin'.

First 8 shots out of the box, 5 yards, after my quick and dirty trigger work, detail strip and lube.

Ok, what about 10 yards. One shot. Slow fire.

Ok, puts bullets where you point it so potential is there. Needs some extractor work. Extractor slipped off the rim about 1 shot out of 20. Magazine didn't lock back about 25% of the time on the last shot - but that seems like a mag problem. They're MecGar mags but like a lot of 9mm 1911 mags, they seem a bit finicky.

It's soft shooting - like you'd think a 2+lb steel 9mm gun would be. Only ran about 40 through it. Might need just a bit more break in. Overall, it's worth the $400 or so, but not more in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#10]
picked mine up a day or 2 ago..

it's the lower one in the pic below, the other one is my previous TISAS .45 which is more of standard GI replica.
Attachment Attached File

below is a pic of one of the big differences in this gun, the sights, which I really like..
Attachment Attached File

below is the front end of the no-bushing set-up..
Attachment Attached File

the gun was fairly easy to take-down..
Attachment Attached File

the inside with the feed ramp..
Attachment Attached File

Total weight with 8+1 is 2 pounds, 11.4 ounces..
Attachment Attached File

Trigger pull is off my 8 lbs gauge. The gun is very solid, no rattles. The spring is really heavy and it takes a lot of effort to pull the slide.  Earlier this year I gave my sister a Sig P238 because it was one of the few guns she was able to manipulate the slide on, and I would be willing to bet she couldn't move this one.

It came with 3 Mec-gar mags, like my previous TiSAS, so fortunately I have spares.

Looking forward to shooting it but that will likely be at least a week away, since I am awaiting something else I ordered to arrive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top