Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2017 12:03:11 PM EDT
Getting a stainless steel SA Loaded. Wondering how you like it. I've got different grips coming along with a 1 piece guide rod and plug to get rid of that screw in the front. Any other suggestions for mods?
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot it and then decide.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, it's my usual EDC.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Loaded owner here. I got mine 2 weeks ago for.... wait for it.... $450. That's correct, $450. With 3 mags and case/holster/mag holder and Simonich Gunner grips.

I dropped it off Wednesday for a coat of Cerakote Elite Midnight. Sitting on my workbench are:

S&A Magwell
Wilson GI guide Rod and plug
Wilson single side tactical safety
Wilson front strap checkering

Also have a couple of ACT mags and 2 Wilson 47d mags in the mail. Got 1 of each with the gun. I took it out last weekend and put 150 they it and did a mini torture test. I racked the slide open and threw it in the dirt, then covered it in dirt. Pick it up, rack it a few times and fire 8 rounds. Every mag for 150 rounds. I had 3 fail to feeds in the last 50 rounds, I imagine from the insane amount of shit piling up inside the gun and mag. Unreasonable I know, but I feel if it takes that much dirt to get it to fail to feed once per mag then I feel good leaving it in a nightstand or on a battle belt rig.

Accuracy was great the 150 rounds I put thru it. Trigger is great too. I do plan on making it a project because I got it so cheap. I'm slowly replacing the MIM parts with Wilson parts. Next will be slide stop, ejector and hammer/sear/disconnecter.

I currently have no plans to upgrade the trigger as it was more than acceptable.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
The above is sound advice.

I have an old SA loaded 20~ yrs old before they dovetailed the front or put ambi safetys on.

Gi guide and plug, Grips, grip tape on the front strap 4 recoil spring changes.
It has always been my "beater" 1911 she just jeeps running.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. They’re awesome guns as they come.

I like roll triggers in mine. KC’s Custom makes an awesome kit.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have always been a Colt snoob when it comes to 1911's, but I ended up buying a SA loaded.  Holy moley one of the best 1911's I have ever fired!  Love this thing.  It had hammer follow straight out of the box (mainspring was about flat) so I replaced it with a new Colt spring.  Also added a Harrison hammer, EGW sear and ball head disconnector, short trigger, GI guide rod and spring, and an old GI checkered mainspring housing.  I generally don't like extended or ambi safety's but this one felt pretty good so I left it.  It is VERY accurate too.

Link Posted: 11/6/2017 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#8]
A USGI recoil set up would be my first swap out.
new recoil spring, grips, about 2,000 rounds of ammo
Metalform magazines
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to have one and it was a good 1911. Of course my girlfriend stole it... Replaced it with a Dan Wesson Valor, and it's sweet  If you can afford a Dan Wesson Heritage for $1K I'd recommend it. Or pony up for a Valor at $1500 or so for a blemish version on GunBroker 
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I love mine. Very accurate and very reliable. I got it used so no idea on the round count but I've put thousands down range in the years I've owned it. I swapped the 2-piece guide rod for traditional pieces though (the 2-piece was a pain and I didn't see any benefit in the first place). Now that I think about it I also replaced the MSH with a checkered Smith & Alexander (to get rid of the stupid lock), swapped the thumb safety with a Wilson Combat (prefer the smaller profile), and replaced all the springs with Wolff (for maintenance on a pistol with unknown past). Grips are Simonich Gunners. Extractor was replaced with a Wilson Combat when the original started acting up. Oh yeah, I also bead blasted the original green finish on the frame and refinished it; home parkerizing job.

Here it is next to my Springfield GI.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Damn good 1911 for the price. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I just happen to like my Colt's and my Chuck Roger's 1911 much more.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That said, LW Loaded (now discontinued) was done by the SACS when they actually worked on guns.

Attachment Attached File

The original refinish:
Attachment Attached File

I don't carry it much anymore, but it's still a great gun.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the Parkerized version. I also changed out the recoil rod and added thin grips. Grips made a hell of a difference!
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Tell us about the sights, please.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Springfield-TRP-sights/34-178957/
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a loaded operator, love it!
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm on my second Loaded.  First one I sold after a kaboom (Springfield fixed it, buyer knew the story), but it was great.  Not sure how old it was, but I had over 1k rounds through it.  Accurate damn thing.  

Recently I traded a Glock for another Loaded.  This particular one has 200 rounds down the pipe, but was rode hard and put away wet.  Mainly used on a ranch to put down horses.  

Both have been dead nuts accurate.  Aside from grips, I've never changed a thing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@PalmettoSharpshooter

Front sight is stock rear sight is a fusion firearms part from eBay.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

I bought this one used about 10 years ago and the previous owner bought it used. It has been an excellent pistol and if the current products are of equal quality, then you will be most pleased with it. 
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#19]
The only thing I did was replace the guide with a GI plug and guide.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I have two of them. One stainless one parked. They are reliable with hollow points and ball ammo, but don't like wadcutters. They are good solid guns that just plain shoot.

My one and only dislike is the beavertail. The beavertail's exaggerated hump hits a nerve or something in my hand, which causes pain.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 4:08:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I did very similar things;

swapped 2 peice guide rod, for single peice.
swapped grips.
Mag well
extended magazine release.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Love the pics. Thanks for the info! You guys convinced me. I probably overpaid but I love it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 7:08:06 AM EDT
[#23]
If your happy you didn’t overpay! Congrats
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top