Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2017 6:35:10 AM EDT
So my pistol mag wont always hold open my slide.

I'm not sure of the reason, but is it possible the spring is wore from carrying with a full mag?

It only had about 150rds through it before it started acting up. No failure to feed or eject. and the magazine is an ACT-MAG and about a year old with about 500 rounds...

Pistol is a RIA Match Ultra 45acp
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I would try a new mag of the same specs. That should tell you if it’s a worn mag. It sounds like the spring is just a little weak and could use replacement though. 
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm not sure of the reason, but is it possible the spring is wore from carrying with a full mag?

It only had about 150rds through it before it started acting up. No failure to feed or eject. and the magazine is an ACT-MAG and about a year old with about 500 rounds...

View Quote

Correctly designed and manufactured springs do not wear form simple compression.

They wear from use.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Correctly designed and manufactured springs do not wear form simple compression.

They wear from use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

They wear from use.
Ya that's whats got be bugged, the mag is barely used. I won't be shooting for a few weeks so I really try a new mag.

Wanting to see if it could be something else.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess the ammo i was using was dirty as fuck. I cleaned the slide stop and it runs fine now.

Just updating in case anyone runs into something like that, or more likely and importantly if your worried about my pistol and daily life.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#5]
as a test its good to take the unloaded mag, put it in the gun, and run the slide manaully. does it lock open? ans how high up in the notch does the slide stop get? If it's not 100% up take note. you can prematurely ruin a slide by peening the slide stop notch from a slide stop that doesn't engage fully.

ive had a few act-mags and always had good spring life, but the feed lips always cracked on mine. They are range use only mags for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top