Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2017 1:51:02 PM EDT
1911 newbie here.  I just picked up my first 1911 in a trade.  I really like it, but a sharp area on the rear is biting into my thumb (see pictures below).  Do you have any recommendations?  I suppose I could get a gunsmith to smooth it out.  Are there any good gunsmiths on this forum that you recommend?  Thanks for your help!

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If that were mine I'd take a steel drift punch and a tap hammer and knock that corner down to round. If you don't hit too hard it should not mar the finish bad.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If that were mine I'd take a steel drift punch and a tap hammer and knock that corner down to round. If you don't hit too hard it should not mar the finish bad.
View Quote
I've done this in the past,you could also pull the beavertail off and use a fine emery board to knock the point down.
Shouldn't take much to smooth it down enough to be comfortable.

ETA that was post 4545
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a set of jeweler's files and smooth that sucker off.  Finish with emery and sandpaper.  Back to work.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I had this problem on my RIA,  but it was the thumb safety,  it tore the web up between my index finger and thumb,  I took a stone to it and rounded it off,  mine is blue,  then I hit it with liquid blue

its not perfect but it works well for me and its not cutting into me anymore.

I dont plan to sell it and if I do I am not expecting new gun price for it anyway.

good luck with the fix.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure it is the little spot where your red arrow is pointing????  

The reason I ask is that I see you have a "scalloped" beavertail similar to the ones Ruger uses.  That little scallop transition, just to the right of the point on your arrow,  kills me when I shoot my friends 1911.  I shoot with a VERY high grip and that beavertail would be the first thing I would change on a Ruger 1911.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had this problem on my RIA,  but it was the thumb safety,  it tore the web up between my index finger and thumb,  I took a stone to it and rounded it off,  mine is blue,  then I hit it with liquid blue

its not perfect but it works well for me and its not cutting into me anymore.

I dont plan to sell it and if I do I am not expecting new gun price for it anyway.

good luck with the fix.
View Quote
Stones are almost always a better option for very minor metal removal.

They are slow enough to help avoid removing more than needed and leave a much better finish than a file.

For the most part after using a file you still need to go back and stone or polish (Craytex) a surface.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure it is the little spot where your red arrow is pointing????  

The reason I ask is that I see you have a "scalloped" beavertail similar to the ones Ruger uses.  That little scallop transition, just to the right of the point on your arrow,  kills me when I shoot my friends 1911.  I shoot with a VERY high grip and that beavertail would be the first thing I would change on a Ruger 1911.
View Quote
I think you may be right.  Thank you for pointing this out!  Maybe just changing the beavertail will fix this, and that will keep me from having to mess with the finish on the frame.  This newbie is learning quickly!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top