Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2017 1:59:22 AM EDT
I got my hands on a Norinco 9mm that I would like to convert into a Mid-Range NM alike. Would reaming the 9mm barrel to .38 would be sufficient or should I start from a .38 Super Auto barrel ? Thank for the inputs ;-)
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of answers, but I do own an early 60's Colt NM .38 mid range wadcutter.  A couple of points that you may not be aware of.   These guns are slightly different than a standard 1911.  They are a sort of delayed blowback with grooves cut into the chamber to slow extraction. The barrel travels straight back with the slide for about 6mm rather than camming down to unlock.  I don't think this feature is critical to making it work as IIRC the .38 AMU guns still locked normally.  The magazine is going to be your biggest challenge.  I believe it is wider than the .38 super mag due to the rim.  It also has some crazy spring loaded lips to keep the cartridges aligned into the chamber.  I have two original mags and one aftermarket.  The originals work well as long as the proper spring tension is maintained on the lips. The aftermarket mag is problematic and I've never gotten it to work satisfactorily.  The original mags sell for around $100 US typically.  I don't know if the aftermarket mags are still offered.  That said it's a great gun.  If you are up for a project and have some cash to spend I would encourage you to build it.  If you want something quick and cheap I encourage you to look elsewhere.

Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the goal the project itself or to wind up with a 38WC gun?

Is the OP aware that S&W at several different produced a target semi in 38WC? I believe it was a model 39 or 59. They worked well with proper ammo but the single stack mags were
something like 6 or 7 rounds only.

At one point I considered one for a plate gun but came to the conclusion that with the low mag capacity it didn't really beat a 686+
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is the OP aware that S&W at several different produced a target semi in 38WC? I believe it was a model 39 or 59. They worked well with proper ammo but the single stack mags were

At one point I considered one for a plate gun but came to the conclusion that with the low mag capacity it didn't really beat a 686+
View Quote
As mentioned above, it is not a recoil locked system and you'd need a proper barrel, expensive mags, and work done.

Just use a 147 bullet and lower pressures [if you reload] and play around with a pound or two reduced recoil spring weight and stick with 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
What you are referring to is the Model 52. Cool pistol as well, but as a collector of 1911 style pistols, I'd much rather have a Mid-Range.

m
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]
You probably need to talk to a gunsmith familiar with bullseye competition pistols. In addition to the locking issue, rework of the breech face specialized extractors and ejectors and magazines would be required. I suspect just finding and buying an original Colt will be easier and cheaper
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I have tried the S&W 52, it's a really fine pistol but I am a real fan of the M1911 Mid-Range :-)

Earlier this year, I saw a Colt offered for sale...but I was too late for it. Kart is selling barrel that I would be able to order to convert the pistol to a standard-working configuration. I think that Triple-K is still offering after-market magazine for the .38WC pistol.
I play with the idea...just to have something different.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:36:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I read that some conversion were done by using a .38 Super Auto barrel rechambered for the .38 Spl cartridge. It may be more interesting for my idea as .38 Super barrels are widely available, compared to .38Spl barrel.

As it would be more of a testing than with the idea of building the definitive competition handgun...I would be tempted to do that.
Does anyone remember having read something similar ?

I found a post, on a forum, stating that in the 50s, an article describing the conversion was written. If anyone can point me to it, I would greatly appreciate the help :-)
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I read that some conversion were done by using a .38 Super Auto barrel rechambered for the .38 Spl cartridge. It may be more interesting for my idea as .38 Super barrels are widely available, compared to .38Spl barrel.

As it would be more of a testing than with the idea of building the definitive competition handgun...I would be tempted to do that.
Does anyone remember having read something similar ?

I found a post, on a forum, stating that in the 50s, an article describing the conversion was written. If anyone can point me to it, I would greatly appreciate the help :-)
View Quote
You are talking about the Colt Military .38 AMU pistol, that uses .38 spl brass but with the rim turned down.

I picked up my MKIII a while back, made an offer on a Colt sight unseen and it turned out to be a very nice .38 special, Told her it was worth more then I offered but she was dying and said my offer was hundreds more then the local gunshop offered her. Ended up with it, thousands of rounds of ammo and a pick up load of other gunstuff for $500. I did find out later she did die just a month or so later.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You are talking about the Colt Military .38 AMU pistol, that uses .38 spl brass but with the rim turned down.

I picked up my MKIII a while back, made an offer on a Colt sight unseen and it turned out to be a very nice .38 special, Told her it was worth more then I offered but she was dying and said my offer was hundreds more then the local gunshop offered her. Ended up with it, thousands of rounds of ammo and a pick up load of other gunstuff for $500. I did find out later she did die just a month or so later.
View Quote
YIKES the MKIII if in good shape is around $1200 last time I priced one.

The .38 AMU shifts the challenge of making the gun into the challenge of making ammo.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
It's why I would prefer to chamber it in .38Spl :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top