Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2017 8:40:54 PM EDT
Never had a 1911 before, getting a mid-range one now.  Locally have Remington r1 enhanced, Colt competetion(the blue one, "series 80"), and the basic ruger stainless.  They are all about the Same price $ after tax.  

I like that the r1 is checkered on the front strap.  The colt seems to be a great price but I dislike the blue grips.  Im generally a ruger fan and it's very nice, but I prefer the black finish of the colt and r1.

I'm leaning towards the r1 I think.  Which one should I get?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Of your 3 options, buy the Colt and get a new set of grips for it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I would never buy a new remington product after the shit CS i received on a new shotgun.

I don't buy 80 series guns so it would be the Ruger of your list if that's all your looking at.  

I have a railed Ruger it runs like a champ little over 1400 rnds threw it now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as 1911 's go I prefer the ones that are built like series 70 Colt with no rod inside the spring because its easier to take them apart to clean them.  I have always had Colt and Kimber and wished I had a Wilson Combat.  The stainless Taurus looks like a lot of features for the money. The Stainless Ruger looks like a solid choice and every ruger I have owned was reliable.  I have owned two Sig 1911 pistols neither one was reliable even after a return trip to the factory.  1911 guns can be very picky on ammo and tend to always feed ball ammo.  I have a Colt lightweight commander stainless / alloy built in 2011 that feeds everything from the factory with no modification.  The grips are very easy to replace and pachmeyer has rubber ones with diamond checker on the front of the grip so that part is an easy fix.  A blue Colt can always be refinished with Cerakoat or better yet Walter Birdsong Green and Black T finish or bright nickle or electroless nickel there are always options if you find you do not do well at wipeing the blue down constantly to prevent surface corosion. The older high polish blue just totally sucked as a finish if you did not do constant manintenance. In comparison you can leave a glock out in the weather and not see corosion their finish is unbelievable.  I tend to prefer a stainless or a nickle finish but I have had several in blue also.  Milt Sparks makes several good holsters for 1911.  I know - tough choice for me it would be between the Colt and the Ruger and most likely the Colt.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pro-cdp-ii  Kimber Pro CDP   MSRP $1173.  would be my pick If I were to buy another 1911.  I like the commander length and I like the alloy frame with stainless slide.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Please keep shopping!!!!  Until you have series 70 Colt's or SA or Dan Wesson pistols on your list, you have more work to do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had a Remington R-1 Enhanced for a few years now. It has run just fine with no problems. I don't know the round count but it is over 1000 so far. I changed the front sight on the R1 to a Dawson tritium but otherwise is is as it came from the factory. The front strap has serrations not checkering. Mainspring housing is checkered.  The Colt and Remington are series 80 pistols. To some people this is important to others it is not. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Id get the Ruger out of those options
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:56:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Is Springfield Armory an option or do we still hate them?

Loaded and Mil Specs are nice guns.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:18:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is Springfield Armory an option or do we still hate them?

Loaded and Mil Specs are nice guns.

Steve
View Quote
I just bought a Springfield MC Operator today. They are one of the few companies keeping guns flowing into this shitty state. I respect that. And the Operators and TRPs seem to be highly recommended in spite of Springfield's transgression. People eventually forgave Ruger, they'll eventually forgive Springfield too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#9]
In your price range Springfield Loaded IMO..
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Of the choices listed Colt is the clear winner. Many 1911 purists and reputable custom builders will say Colt has the most consistent dimensions and fewest MIM parts of any major manufacturer, and even the USMC rail guns are series 80 and run great. The days when series 80 equaled crapppy trigger are long gone.
My m45a1 (production not custom shop version) has a great trigger and is relentlessly reliable and accurate.
In the end after being with the 1911 for a time you will either pretty much love or hate it. If it turns out not to be your cup of tea, you will get a higher % of money back out of a Colt.
I attended Larry vickers 1911 course a few years ago, and while a promoter for Wilson combat, flatly stated if you want to buy a 1911 most likely to run out of the box you buy a Colt.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Perhaps you'll see some of my logic with this old post of mine?  It was about ARs but I guess it cold hold true with your question.  

IMHO..........if I'm a newbie and only getting one AR.

Then the simple no brainer answer is.........COLT. You pick the configuration you like.

Why?

History and resale.

When I think of firearms.........say Civil War?

COLT 1851 or 1860 revolver.

Indian Wars and the Spanish American War?

COLT SAA (Peacemaker, mod 1873)

WW1?

COLT M1911

WW2?

COLT M1911A1

Viet Nam?

COLT M16A1 (AR15 SP1 or AR15-A1)

Desert Storm?

COLT M16A2 (AR15-A2)

Iraq/Afghanistan?

COLT M4 (AR15 Mod#6920)

See how that works?

Then.........

IF you can remember the ‘94 AWB......well, I sold many a COLT AR15 for big $$$$ and they were really easy to move compared to the lesser named brands (or Frankenstein ARs). Mind you that I'm not saying that history will repeat itself or that COLT is THE BEST OF ANY OF THE OTHER MFNs OUT THERE. I'm just saying that more than likely..........when it's time to sell...........there will probably be a buyer who knows the name and product. Thus, it sort of sells itself.
View Quote
Yes, M1911s were also produced by Remington and others.  But, just seeing a quick side view would have most anyone IDing the pistol as a "COLT."

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#12]
As usual, FPNI: Colt, and a new set of grips.
2nd choice would be the Ruger (or a Springfield Armory Loaded).
I would not gamble on the Remington at all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a fusion.  I think I did good, price was too good to resist, barely more than the Rugers and Remington's and it feels 5x better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#14]
For someone new to 1911s, I recommend Springfield Armory.  There are other quality options, but if you have an issue you just call them and they will send you a paid shipping label; they fix it and return it to you typically in 3 weeks or so.   They also have a variety of models to suit just about every preference.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Of your 3 options, buy the Colt and get a new set of grips for it.
View Quote
This...you can get a new set of VZ grips if you hit one of there sales for like $60-65 to your door.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This...you can get a new set of VZ grips if you hit one of there sales for like $60-65 to your door.
View Quote
Almost 10% of the price of the gun for grips, you guys are crazy!  

It shoots amazing, better than any 1911 I've shot, very similar to a $2k+ Ed brown a friend has.  I would recommend a fusion Before anything up to the $1-1.5k range.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:18:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Add a little more $ and get a Colt Wiley clapp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top