BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
UTC or a TRS probably.

ETA: Baers aren't for everyone either.  Fortunately we have a lot of makers to choose from. find one you like and shoot the piss out of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For some reason, I just can't get excited about Baer guns. The only one I've ever handled was a Premier II. Super nice gun, but just doesn't move the needle for me. If you were to suggest one to me to try to change my opinion, what would it be?
View Quote
Baer Monolith Heavyweight.  They are fantastic 1911's.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Why does every 1911 maker hate lefties? I keep wanting to buy a Wilson's CQB LE or GRP Recon from Nighthawk for my own wedding present and none of them offer Ambi safety from factory.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why does every 1911 maker hate lefties? I keep wanting to buy a Wilson's CQB LE or GRP Recon from Nighthawk for my own wedding present and none of them offer Ambi safety from factory.
View Quote
Just order the gun with an ambi safety or send it in to have the safety installed.  I sent both of my Nighthawks back to Nighthawk to have ambi safeties installed $160 plus shipping per gun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just order the gun with an ambi safety or send it in to have the safety installed.  I sent both of my Nighthawks back to Nighthawk to have ambi safeties installed $160 plus shipping per gun.
View Quote
@homan338 do you remember the turnaround time? Was it $160 For just the work or the work and Safety together?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#6]
How about a 2011 STI. You would be in the 2 to 3 range.
https://flic.kr/p/WVwoL5
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:01:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was gifted a Nighthawk Predator 5" .45 a few years back and it's outstanding.

I own a couple of TRPs that my smith has added a few touches to.

I'm considering saving toward another 1911. Likely .45 with steel frame but up in the air on Commander or 5"

Nighthawk and Wilson are on the top of the list but I'm open to suggestions.

Rogers Precision always catch my eye.

I'm more about function and "tactical" than blue steel and walnut FYI.

Pictures and personal experience owning/shooting is always best. Thanks....
View Quote

Forgive my brief aside, but what touches did you have added to your TRPs?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@homan338 do you remember the turnaround time? Was it $160 For just the work or the work and Safety together?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just checked my invoice from the last Nighthawk I sent in 2 years ago $150 for the safety & labor about 4 weeks turnaround.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Forgive my brief aside, but what touches did you have added to your TRPs?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

On the Operator I added a U-notch 10-8 fixed rear and XS tritium (not big dot) front, 10-8 flat trigger, GI length guide rod and plug, single side thumb safety and blended Nighthawk one piece maxwell. My smith also crowned the muzzle, tuned extractor. He also dehorned a few edges and touched up some internals.

My non-rail got the same sights, muzzle crown, internals, guide rod/plug, trigger and thumb safety. Its going back in to have a NH one piece maxwell blended and a dehorn job now that this season of 1911 Combat League is wrapped up.

None of this is NEEDED really but these are subtle changes that work best for me and shave the 10ths of a second I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86935/IMG_3022-299603.JPG

On the Operator I added a U-notch 10-8 fixed rear and XS tritium (not big dot) front, 10-8 flat trigger, GI length guide rod and plug, single side thumb safety and blended Nighthawk one piece maxwell. My smith also crowned the muzzle, tuned extractor. He also dehorned a few edges and touched up some internals.

My non-rail got the same sights, muzzle crown, internals, guide rod/plug, trigger and thumb safety. Its going back in to have a NH one piece maxwell blended and a dehorn job now that this season of 1911 Combat League is wrapped up.

None of this is NEEDED really but these are subtle changes that work best for me and shave the 10ths of a second I'm looking for.
View Quote
Basically the same things I am considering for my non-rail. Nothing *needed*, but nice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the best deals imho is the nighthawk got recon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#12]
For Semi-Customs I prefer Les Baer for many reasons.  I like the PII, Custom Carry, UTC, and TRS  and like that I can order them in different configurations (ex. without Front Cocking serrations, no ambi-safety's, checkered MSH, 1.5in, and etc).  I also prefer the classic look of an honest well worn-in blued finish over the high tech coatings other companies use.  Most of all I prefer's LB's hard-fit build philosophy where each part is hand fit with extremely tight tolerances, and wear in together as you shoot it.  I've shot many 1911's and really there is no comparison on how LB's are fitted and how they shoot.  They're just different compared to other 1911's. They're old school muscle car cool.

If budget was unlimited, I would pick up a 70 series Colt, along with all my favorite parts, and then send to one of the known 1911 smiths out there.  But for the money, you can't beat a Les Baer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Taking the plunge...

I'm about to order a lightweight commander sized 9mm from Wilson Combat

Several custom changes and quoted delivery time is running around 4 months.

One day I'll do a full custom but this is gonna be a real treat when it shows up
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I have owned almost every brand in the last 30 years.
My vote goes for my Springfield Railed professional.
I usually can find something to nit pic about on every 1911 I buy, The Pro is as close to perfection as I can find.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#15]
currently my version of high end is a RIA tac model

but I have a dan wesson on order and cannot wait to get it

if I had Trumps money I would throw mine in the trash and go get a nighthawk 
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As has been mentioned a couple of times already, I have a Dan Wesson Silverback that is a great value for a nice gun. Not up there with the real custom jobs, but it does push the envelope against some of those guys for a lot less money.

The difference in money to take a small step up in quality is significant. Only you can decide where you want to draw the line obviously.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know what you ended up with.
View Quote
Ok so what is the difference between a deal and some of the 2-3k pistols?

I got my point man 7 back when they were 900 bucks and I just don't see the advantage of the high end models other than the name that's one the side.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have owned almost every brand in the last 30 years.
My vote goes for my Springfield Railed professional.
I usually can find something to nit pic about on every 1911 I buy, The Pro is as close to perfection as I can find.
View Quote
I will second this....I have owned 4 springer custom shop guns to include a full house custom 9 MM built this time last year ....my 2011 built railed pro is hands down the best built semi custom I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Funny thing about personal opinions.

I've owned two Baers, both custom spec TRS guns.

Hated 'em.  I'll never own another Baer in my life.  

I love Wilson Combat.  Best in the business IMO for semi-custom guns.  Great options list, superior finish options, no cast or MIM, excellent customer service, of course the performance you expect from a pistol this pricey, and unlike shops like Baer, they innovate.  Wilson Combat is making tool steel beavertail safeties and one-piece MSH/magwells, while Baer takes the same old shit, repaints it, and names it after some old hunk of shit car from the 60's.  Baer is ancient and stuck in his ancient ways, and it shows in the product.  Great guns, but a moment in time, passed by.  Items like high end bluing, French borders, ball cuts, chamfered slides, reverse crowns, etc. all used to be the exclusive purview of full custom houses.  Okay, Springfield Custom Shop did all that on your personal pistol, but that was a well kept secret and now it's all over.  Baer is just the same. old. gun.  Wilson Combat, NHC, and others are in the modern era.

I own 3 Ed Brown 1911's.  Great pistols, I prefer WC but Brown makes a nice gun as well.  I'm looking to get back into a Springfield Professional as well.  I miss owning one.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I feel my guncrafter is better then my ed brown.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a 2011 Wilson Combat ULCC in .45. Finest gun I’ve ever owned, carried and shot. I also have NH Falcon. It’s am
Amazing gun and a very close second. I also another 20 some odd 1911’s. Love them all.

Here’s my latest:

https://pin.it/hRGVmAT
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I just ordered a Wilson Protector Professional with lightweight frame in 9mm

Now the wait begins.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I will second this....I have owned 4 springer custom shop guns to include a full house custom 9 MM built this time last year ....my 2011 built railed pro is hands down the best built semi custom I have ever owned.
View Quote
What are your recommendations for those who won't buy a Springfield?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ok so what is the difference between a deal and some of the 2-3k pistols?

I got my point man 7 back when they were 900 bucks and I just don't see the advantage of the high end models other than the name that's one the side.
View Quote
For a couple things, there will be minimum play in the slide, and the barrel should be as closely fit as possible.  That means no gap between the breechface and hood while in battery, and you should be able to feel the slide stop levering against the lower lugs in the last 1/4" of movement before the slide goes into full battery.  The barrel should be locked in place at both the breech and muzzle while in battery, with no discernable movement.   The barrel should be properly reamed and throated and set to proper headspace.

Then the trigger should be set to the desired weight, no creep, minimum overtravel, and sufficient pretravel to prevent trigger bounce.  

There should be no gaps visible between two parts that are supposed to be fitted to each other (e.g. beavertail and frame, sights and slide).  

No sharp edges should be detectable on the exterior of the gun.  

These are some things that a higher level of fit and finish gets you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:43:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Heirloom Precision. 8k to start, you provide the pistol. 2 year waiting list.

Great Instagram feed
http://www.heirloomprecision.com

Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Heirloom has some of the most refined works of 1911 art out there in my opinion.

Very pricey but wow I’d love to plan that as my retirement present one day.

Mr Burton seems like a super solid businessman and is very attentive to questions.

If I hit a scratch off for a couple grand seed money one day I’ll be making it official.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I really like the NH Warhawk.

Aggressive checkering and grips are my thing, don't care for adjustable sights or ambi thumb safeties
View Quote
If you want one suitable for carry, but also capable of competing with dedicated range guns I'd recommend a Les Baer with 1.5" guarantee.  Frankly, most of the fixed sights Baers are the same, but since you're interested in higher end ... Les Baer SRP with 1.5 and Hard Chrome.  Of all of the 1911s I've owned that was my favorite.

Order it with single side safety and NFCS for something a little extra special.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I feel my guncrafter is better then my ed brown.
View Quote
I didn't care for the Ed Brown Executive Elite 2 I had.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Heirloom Precision. 8k to start, you provide the pistol. 2 year waiting list.

Great Instagram feed
http://www.heirloomprecision.com

http://www.heirloomprecision.com/images/CS_SIG_1.jpg
View Quote
For them that can afford it, and live through the 2-year or longer wait time, ... I'm sure Mr. Burton makes a fine 1911.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top