Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2017 8:19:02 PM EDT
100 rds fired. 23rds FTF.

The Gun

Springfield Range officer operator fullsize frame/slide. Hogue Grips, W/C extended slide release, Square bottom FPS, 28lb Mainspring. 22lb recoil spring. W/C shock buffer. 460 Kit is from Clark Customs.

The Mags;

3 different mags. CMC 10+ powermags (2 of them) Both horrific. As well as 1 8rd Wilson Combat.

The Ammo;

Georgia Arms 460, 185gr HP, moving at 1550FPS. (hot F'n Load)

The FTF's on the 8 rd is was nearly ALWAYS the 3rd round fired. Full mag in pistol + 1 in chamber, 3rd round was a nose down. Rack side and rest of mag was fine.
The CMC 10+ constant nosedives. Rack slide and good to go. On the 8 I had a few setback issues with the round and kicked it out and sent to the scrap ammo pile.

Maybe it's oversprung? I could use any advice that you guys have. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#1]
i could not find desent ammo for mine either i used a 20# spring sold the whole thing and bought a 10mm been happy ever since.lots of ammo choices with 10.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Take that damn shock buffer out and use some of the mags that came with the gun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you put stronger springs in the mags? Sounds like the slide was moving faster than the magazine could handle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take that damn shock buffer out and use some of the mags that came with the gun.
View Quote
The ammo is not feeding from the OEM 7 rd mags. Its getting caught on the opening of the hollow point bullet.

The shock buff can come out and I'll give I a shot.  No pun intended.

I'd hate to have to order a huge spring pack and tune from scratch on this. Ugh
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The ammo is not feeding from the OEM 7 rd mags. Its getting caught on the opening of the hollow point bullet.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not surprised. Put a stronger mag spring in
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, sounds like the mag springs are too soft to keep the round up and in front of the fast moving slide.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did you put stronger springs in the mags? Sounds like the slide was moving faster than the magazine could handle.
View Quote
This is the exact same thing I thought when I saw the thread title. I was having the same problem with my .45Super conversion, 23lb Wolff recoil spring/firing pin spring combo swap. I installed Wolff +10% magazine springs in my Wilson magazines and suddenly no Nose Dives... Nothing but sewing machine smooth feeding, smooth recoil, and with the BB 255 grain hard cast ammo... the most insane accuracy I'd ever seen out of that particular pistol. It certainly sounds like the slide is outrunning the magazine springs as that was the cause with my .45Super conversion. Keep the WC Shock Buffers OP. Even with a 23lb spring I experienced frame battering with the Super. With the 460 Rowland being a more potent load you are almost certain to have the same frame battering even with the flat bottom firing pin stop and upgraded main spring. Especially at the velocity of 1500fps those pills are being slung.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top