Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2017 12:05:20 AM EDT
I have a Springfield 1911 with stainless ambi safety which I love, but never carry.

I am a lefty, and I carry IWB at 7 o'clock. When I carry the 1911, I often find that the safety has gotten brushed off. Getting out of the car is when I notice it the most, but it will also happen if I lean up against something just right.

Is there any reason I can't take the safety off and put it on a grinding wheel and knock the thumb pad? I figure if I flatten the safety lever down, there won't be as much chance of something catching it and disengaging it. I figure with a grinding wheel, files, and polishing cloths, I can make it look nice.

Or is this a stupid idea?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#1]
It's about a $60 part to replace if you screw it up. I can't tell from your description what you're thinking about doing, but it may be worth a shot if it would improve your weapon's functionality.

For what it's worth, I'm also a southpaw and carry a 1911 with an ambi safety. I do so OWB at the 9 o'clock position; I don't think the safety has gotten brushed off more than two or three times. Your carry method and position may have something to do with it occurring.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:39:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive had that happen to me in the past. My current 1911s ambi safety has been replaced with a single side one.

A lot harder for you being a lefty though but I have noticed my aiwb holster from jmcustom will actually activate the safety if the gun is holstered with the safety off.

Try looking for a new holster.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#3]
03RN is correct - a good holster usually prevents the safety from getting inadvertently activated
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:51:02 AM EDT
[#4]
You could grind it down.   Just cool it often while grinding.

Is your safety plunger assembly giving you enough engagement on the safety lever to hold it properly?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting fact. The plunger spring in alot of guns is weak.
Try replacing the plunger spring with a Wolff.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#6]
The only problem I see with grinding the pad off is removing the safety to take the gun apart, it's already a bitch to take off with the little nub.  I'd look into getting a better holster.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#7]
A stronger plunger spring and a good holster = Solves the problem.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Only my professional has an ambidextrous safety, and the only reason I don't remove it is because I want to keep the gun as stock as possible.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Definitely looking into a new holster. I have been carrying on a Gen 1 AlienGear (with the leather backer) for years, and I really like it for my usual carry guns, but it isn't providing any protection for the safety.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top