Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2017 11:57:59 AM EDT
I have one of the RIA 45s that I really like. The only problem I have now is the trigger feel "gritty" when I pull it. I'm no gunsmith. So I'm looking for something I can just drop in and fix the trigger feel? Anybody know of something that will do that and why the trigger has that feel? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
1911s aren't plug and play.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Never ever ever expect any part to drop in a 1911 and run except recoil springs !
Agree it is not plug and play , and "cleaning up " a trigger in a $500 1911 for 200 in GUn smith cost is foolish
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never ever ever expect any part to drop in a 1911 and run except recoil springs !
Agree it is not plug and play , and "cleaning up " a trigger in a $500 1911 for 200 in GUn smith cost is foolish
View Quote
It's not foolish if it improves the firearm
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Take it completely apart and take some emory nail file things to clean up the insides. They look like tounge depressors but are used to file nails.

Don't take metal off the sear just the parkerizing off the moving parts.

Then blast with brake cleaner then oil.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#5]
OP read all the way through before starting on this.

If you have the competence to disassemble the gun correctly you can try this. Once you have the gun apart and understand what every part does you can put a light application of Clover Valve grinding compound (2000 or 3000 grit) on the moving parts and the surfaces they contact. Reassemble the gun and dry fire (with snap cap) +/-100 times. Cycle the slide with out any springs installed same amount. THOROUGHLY rinse the guns in acetone (don't get any acetone on plastic) to remove Clover compound, re-oil and reassemble. Test all functions for proper function and then go shoot the gun using only a few rounds at a time.

While this is in no way a substitute for a proper "trigger job", very often it will remove any minor burrs and roughness that may be causing the grittiness you are experiencing. This along with a few hundred rounds fired through the gun often will "clean it up" pretty well.

And realistically I would do the live fire first after applying a little gunslick graphite grease to the moving parts as mentioned above. As always, when using ANY abrasives with firearms, GO SLOWLY AND REPEAT IF NEEDED, as opposed to going hog wild and overdoing it..IM me if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just pointing out that the 1911 is just a couple of steps past being a hand fitted pistol.
Almost any part other than the recoil spring you mentioned we'll need some degree of fitting and triggers are a cottage industry unto themselves.  

Unless you have a very comprehensive understanding of the 1911 doing trigger work can result in sad faces.
That said, the fact that you're asking this led me to believe you may not be a Bill Wilson.

I am not a Bill Wilson and I have been shooting a 1911 since 1985, twenty years in IPSC.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's not foolish if it improves the firearm
View Quote
My point being spending 200 bucks to give a 500 gun a better trigger is not as sensible as buying a 700 dollar gun that already has a better trigger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top