Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2017 5:50:06 PM EDT
My Kimber Team Match II in 45ACP felt like it was taking a beating while firing factory 230gr ball ammo, as well as my 200gr swc major load.  Got a Wolff recoil calibration pak (extra power pak).  It's directions say to start with the strongest spring, then work down until you get good function.  Well I got good function on the top, 24lb spring.  Is this normal for factory ball ammo?  I believe the standard spring for most 45 5" 1911s is 18lbs? What am I missing here?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Either your loads are 10MM level hot, or you have a very weak hammer spring.  What does the bottom of your firing pin retainer look like?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:24:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Either your loads are 10MM level hot, or you have a very weak hammer spring.  What does the bottom of your firing pin retainer look like?
View Quote
My loads don't feel any hotter than factory ammo.  The hammer spring makes a lot of sense though since moving the slide resets the hammer.  What should I look for on the firing pin retainer?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#3]
It'll either be bevelled or flat. Flat slows down the slide. Most companies used bevelled because it makes it feel nicer while racking.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#4]
16 lbs is gov std for 45 acp ball ammo. I would not go above 18.5 lbs on the recoil spring.

My major load of at 170 pf for 200 LSWC I use a 14 lbs recoil spring using std SA inc ILS internals.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
16 lbs is gov std for 45 acp ball ammo. I would not go above 18.5 lbs on the recoil spring.

My major load of at 170 pf for 200 LSWC I use a 14 lbs recoil spring using std SA inc ILS internals.
View Quote
I use a 20lbs flatwire recoil spring. I've used a 24lbs too to function check and it works with no problem.

A fbfp stop and a heavier mainspring too.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Functions fine for me as well, but when I did bill drills I found increased vertical stringing when using a stronger recoil spring.

I think the gun nose dives with the larger recoil spring in my hands.

now 14 lb recoil spring gave me the smallest group in the shortest amount of time.

the 200 grain loading at 170 pf is weaker than factory loadings (850 fps vs 900 fps)
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Firing pin retainer is beveled.  I ordered a Wolff main spring pack to try out.  I'll put factory spring weights in and give it a try.  I'm not sure what is currently in the gun and it probably needs replacing anyways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top