Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2017 6:17:13 AM EDT
I have a chance to pick one up locally only slightly used, from pics it appears to be the grey frame/blue slide, 45ACP, box and all the goodies, just wondering if any of you guys have had exp with them and what they are like, watched a couple YouTube videos that seemed ++, any help would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:26:57 AM EDT
[#1]
The Colt Rail Gun is an excellent pistol.  I have owned 4 of them.  They all were accurate and ran perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply, going to kick it  around this weekend before deciding next week.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#3]
If it has night sights check them all as the retard in the custom shop that build the one I had decided that a hammer and steel punch was appropriate to drift the front sight in and killed it
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it has night sights check them all as the retard in the custom shop that build the one I had decided that a hammer and steel punch was appropriate to drift the front sight in and killed it
View Quote
Actually they install them with a fixture in an arbor press.
You should have contacted customer service & they would send you a replacement front sight.

My CCS O1072RG is great!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The few I have shot have been well made, accurate and reliable.  

Other than Novak sights, I consider them good to go out of the box and some of the best 1911 pistols made.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks again guys, it's a sharp looking gun for sure, I am thinking it will be mine here in the next couple days.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You should have contacted customer service & they would send you a replacement front sight.

My CCS O1072RG is great!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My CCS O1072RG is great!
Not on mine they didn't.  You could clearly see where they used a steel punch on the front site to drift it.  The store manage and the handguns manager at Scheel's both agreed when I took it in the next day and returned it.  The non custom shop guns that they had didn't have the same marks on them but mine sure as hell did.  They only got it a couple days before I bought it.

Great they would send me a front sight that I can't install myself...wohoo

Call me bitter but I have purchased 2 new Colt firearms and both had issues.  The 6951 had a loose barrel nut and my $2400 1911 had a dead front sight due to stupidity.  I won't be making it to a 3rd strike with Colt as the last screw-up cost me half a day of vacation and a 200 mile round trip back to Scheel's.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not on mine they didn't.  You could clearly see where they used a steel punch on the front site to drift it.  The store manage and the handguns manager at Scheel's both agreed when I took it in the next day and returned it.  The non custom shop guns that they had didn't have the same marks on them but mine sure as hell did.  They only got it a couple days before I bought it.

Great they would send me a front sight that I can't install myself...wohoo

Call me bitter but I have purchased 2 new Colt firearms and both had issues.  The 6951 had a loose barrel nut and my $2400 1911 had a dead front sight due to stupidity.  I won't be making it to a 3rd strike with Colt as the last screw-up cost me half a day of vacation and a 200 mile round trip back to Scheel's.
View Quote
You know, they have things such as call tags to take it back in!

You much have a dark cloud over you to have such bad luck with Colts, no issues with mine!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The last gun took 6 weeks to get back so when Scheel's said I could return it I did and bought a P-07 and a SiCo Omega 9K instead plus a CZ Scorpion Evo pistol for slightly less money than the Colt.

It all worked out for me in the end and I am happy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#10]
My son gave me one a couple of years ago. I love it!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been drooling over the Delta Elite version ever since they announced it. So much want.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks again guys for all the help.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]
My two tone and the two others I have shot have been very nice in function and accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Another round of Thanks gentleman for the help, still kicking it around, as usual I have a little extra money in my pocket and I might be over analyzing it a bit, just wanting to be sure I make the right choice...or at least a good choice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#15]

I am very fond of mine, one of the most reliable pistols I own.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a chance to pick one up locally only slightly used, from pics it appears to be the grey frame/blue slide, 45ACP, box and all the goodies, just wondering if any of you guys have had exp with them and what they are like, watched a couple YouTube videos that seemed ++, any help would be much appreciated.
View Quote

The Colt Rail Gun is a nice, reliable, and well built shelf grade 1911. It makes for a nice entry 1911 and a superb host if you plan on any upgrades. Just as well is a Springfield "Loaded" (their stupid politics aside) is. You really cannot go wrong with either. When you want a more refined 1911 Dan Wesson makes some superb options but at $600 more. You will do well to buy that slightly used Colt. It's the way I prefer to buy them as well! Post pics when you pick her up!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sometimes a cross eyed retard will find it's way into a production line. It happens everywhere once in a while. I can't believe whoever was doing the QA/QC would let some of the stuff I've seen leave the dock. Colt has a pretty good customer service reputation. What happened to that front sight is atrocious but certainly not the norm! I've been burned buying new from a shop before and failed to really scrutinize a purchase. Now I take a hard look at every purchase.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it the newer one like the M45 or the first version? There were very few made of the newer  style in 2-tone.

Photobucket says I now have to pay them to post pictures!

Directupload is free !

Link Posted: 6/30/2017 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#19]
How can you tell if a Colt Rail Gun is of the original style or the newer M45 style?  Are there any obvious external clues?

<--- Knows nothing about the Colt Rail Gun except complaints of cracking around 12k rounds.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How can you tell if a Colt Rail Gun is of the original style or the newer M45 style?  Are there any obvious external clues?

<--- Knows nothing about the Colt Rail Gun except complaints of cracking around 12k rounds.
View Quote

Old style rail on left. IIRC, the M45 and newer rail guns also have dual recoil spring setup.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#21]
New style also has wider slide serations. Not all new style have the dual recoil spring setup, Mine doesn't. It was made very close to the switch over and they were probably  still using
parts they had left.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, guys!  That photo was worth a thousand words for me!  Arms Unlimited has the Rail Gun on sale for $900, but the photo shows the original style.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#23]
They switched over a couple years ago. I would bet it's a old picture  that they never updated.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
New style also has wider slide serations. Not all new style have the dual recoil spring setup, Mine doesn't. It was made very close to the switch over and they were probably  still using
parts they had left.
View Quote
You can put the new system in you gun.  I did on my rail gun and it is night and day different.  Brownell's stocks the parts.

Dan
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:30:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You can put the new system in you gun.  I did on my rail gun and it is night and day different.  Brownell's stocks the parts.

Dan
View Quote
Do you happen to have the part #s?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Guy has been out of town, still waiting for him to get back in touch.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#27]
First time 1911 buyer interested in the same thing.  How does the Colt Rail Gun compare to the Springfield TRP?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dan
SP300265L is the guide rod.  I don't know what it is for the springs.  They were given to me at a Colt M-16 armorers course.

Dan
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#29]
After a little searching on Brownells:

Guide Rod     SP300265L
Outer Recoil Spring     SP300263
Inner Recoil Spring     SP300264
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#30]
A little update on the springs from Brownells:

I received my two sets and a guide rod. Used the micrometer on them and on my decommissioned M45A1. Coil width is identical, wire diameter is identical, number of coils is identical. New outer spring is the same length and the new inner spring is slightly longer which I attribute to my M45A1 being one of the issued and used versions.

FYI
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Can those go in any 1911? What are the benefits?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Can those go in any 1911? What are the benefits?
View Quote
Softer recoil pulse and supposedly less wear and tear on the 1911.

I bought a guide rod and a couple sets of springs. When I tried to install them in my RIA GI clone the guide rod would not fully seat in the spring channel of the frame. Looks like I will need to trim down the outer diameter of the guide rod a couple thousandths. I don't have any other 1911's to try them out in but the guide rod was cheap enough that I have no problem trimming it down a hair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top