Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2017 11:44:31 PM EDT
I'm seriously debating selling my SAO Cajunized CZ SP01 and Dan Wesson Discretion 45 for a STI DVC Tactical 45. I've never owned a STI, and $2800 is ALOT of skrilla to put down for something I've never shot or held. I love my Discretion, just wish it was a double stack, and the DVC Tac fits that bill. Any thoughts? Have I just gone mad? Whats the STI C/S like? Are they hand fit as in the case of the DW's? I was very impressed by the accuracy of the DW out of the box, being able to dump a 10rnd mag into a 3x5 index card at 15yards, standing. Can I expect the same accuracy, or better (provided I'm doing my part of course). Whats the turnaround time at STI for repairs should I need them? I'm assuming lifetime warranty?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The accuracy on STIs tends to be excellent.  You should be able to shoot every round into a ragged 2" hole at 15-20 yards with no problem.   They see some hand fitting but probably not as much as some DW models like the Valor.  However the fitting they do see is mostly on the barrel fit, which is the heart of the gun.

Customer service by all accounts is pretty good.  Never used them myself.

If the price gives you heartburn, look at one of the older models like the Edge, Eagle, etc.   They cost a little less because they don't have as much gingerbread tacked on, but they are in no way inferior to the DVC line.  You should be able to pick up a lightly used one on GB for $1500 or so.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

This?

I've been eyeing it and came here to find reviews on it. I've been reading as much as I can and figuring if it's worth it. I'm thinking of offing a hk45t and SA trp for it. Fills both niches well but likewise, a hard pill to swallow. On the flip side, where's the difference in this versus a nighthawk... Infinity is basically a dedicated race gun to my understanding?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll be hard pressed to find a pistol better than the DVC line. Just shot a DVC steel yesterday that was so accurate I thought I missed my 2nd shot.

STI is awesome all around.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:46:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish we had svi infinity people to step on in. It looks like svi to sti is what Cadillac is to Buick, but you can't find svi's that aren't race guns. Most I'm seeing are 9/40 and no threaded barrels.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
That's exactly it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Brandon Strayer at Infinity will build you whatever you want.  I've seen plenty threaded barrels on SVIs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't thrill me to hear that I submitted a build quote this morning and am waiting on the email back but assuming $5k for what I want. I wish the website gave price differences as an option sheet so you can see if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I just don't think I need an SVI, but if I move a few other guns that just sit, it'll be a lifelong investment. I guess kind of the Rolex thought. Buy it for life
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It doesn't thrill me to hear that I submitted a build quote this morning and am waiting on the email back but assuming $5k for what I want. I wish the website gave price differences as an option sheet so you can see if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I just don't think I need an SVI, but if I move a few other guns that just sit, it'll be a lifelong investment. I guess kind of the Rolex thought. Buy it for life
View Quote
In my opinion, there is no reason to buy an SVI except that you want an SVI.  The attraction is that you can have it built exactly like you want with top shelf parts.  Most of their customers are competitors though I do know a couple of LEOs who carry them.  Unlike STI, Infinity has no "standard models," everything is custom built to spec.  This is why most of the ones you see are race guns.  It doesn't make sense to spend $4000-5000 on a duty gun for most folks.  

You can get a 2011 from STI if that's all you want, and you'll pay a good deal less and not have to wait a year and a half.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I played with my friends SVI and it was buttery smooth racking, amazing trigger... but the fit and finish was crazy. It has the sight tracker (it is a race gun) and we were comparing it to his duty 1911 which was similar to my trp. I'd love to find the slide figment and smoothness of that gun in an sti. I just don't know what sti puts out with fit and finish
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I played with my friends SVI and it was buttery smooth racking, amazing trigger... but the fit and finish was crazy. It has the sight tracker (it is a race gun) and we were comparing it to his duty 1911 which was similar to my trp. I'd love to find the slide figment and smoothness of that gun in an sti. I just don't know what sti puts out with fit and finish
View Quote
STI really can't do things to that level.   They no longer have a custom shop and are concentrating on churning out volume.    They recently discontinued a lot of models from their line, presumably so they could focus on the ones that sell.  You'd have to go to other custom shops who do ground-up builds using STI parts if you want a similar level of fit and finish.   Even then, I've seen custom guns from competition-oriented outfits that don't display the levels of fit and finish that someone like Nighthawk or Wilson routinely does.  To be fair, not that many competitors really care about that, they just want accurate and reliable guns with maybe a fancy finish and some crazy mill cuts on the slide.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
IMHO, I would go to Dawson Precision for a solid STI 2011 pistol in the flavor you choose...they are
among the best and are well known for their 2011 pistols that come out of their shop.

Another option would be to send them a 2011 frame and slide kit and have them spec out a pistol
of your liking...

Good luck.

Brownells/STI

Brownells/STI Bald Slide
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#13]
The high end STI models are pretty comparable to SVIs where it counts.  But yeah... my SVI is next level in comparison.  As for the STIs I've owned... they are fit very well, on the tight end, and had to break them in.  The SVI on the other hand was butter straight from the factory.  The ability to spec grip size on the 2011, grip texture options, safety options, caliber conversion options, and overall fit and finish (flawless) are what really separate the SVIs from STIs, but STIs are still great guns and would not hesitate to buy one if looking for a DS and not looking to drop 5k+.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#14]
MY son swears by his STI. Three years and he finally had it refinished due to USE. Competitive shooter he is.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#15]
In 9 or 45 I think you would be good. I have multiple STIs that run great, all 45s or 9s. But my DVC classic in 40 has been a nightmare
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got my eye on an Edge or DVC when I make A class in USPSA.

Until then the Glock 35 will have to do.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an Edge in 9mm. Damn fine gun, worth much more than what I paid for it, IMO.

I wish I got to shoot it more than what I do.

I'd buy STI again without a second thought.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In 9 or 45 I think you would be good. I have multiple STIs that run great, all 45s or 9s. But my DVC classic in 40 has been a nightmare
View Quote
Using reloads or what?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#19]
STIs have been great for me. i had a 6" 40 for limited and 3 gun, and then a 4" 45 tactical that I carried and used for HD. ended up selling both to help fund life, but they ran like crazy. Mags are expensive, but the real problems you have with the guns happen when people dick with them to try and get maximum capacity for competition. I never had trouble with reliability with standard mags. shot great, ran well, more accurate than I am.

I'm half-assed saving for a tactical or DVC in 9mm. That and a shield would cover 99% of the shooting I want to do.

if you want to check some out, go to a USPSA match and ask around. you will see a ton of options. basically you get the great trigger of a 1911 with the capacity of polymer.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#20]
STI customer service was great for me. I bought a used 9mm duty one off gunbroker, someone (previous owner, or shop that it got traded in at, maybe it left STI that way) put a 45 slide stop on it and it didn't work right. One email and they sent me a return label, went through the gun and replaced parts necessary to get it to 100% and tested it and had it back within about 2 weeks, no questions or charges. Next 1911 will be one of their HOST models.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
From what I have seen with the .40 S&W caliber STI/SVI pistols is that they tend to be very sensitive to
combined overall length (COL) of the cartridge, the longer the COL is the better it will run...

Just some food for thought...YMMV.

.40 SW CP
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wish we had svi infinity people to step on in. It looks like svi to sti is what Cadillac is to Buick, but you can't find svi's that aren't race guns. Most I'm seeing are 9/40 and no threaded barrels.
View Quote
Theres no comparison between an SV and and STI. Its like comparing a Bugatti to a Vette.  Sure they are both fast but you pay for the attention to detail and resale.  If you have the money, buy an SV.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is an STI you may like Tactical 4.0 2011 45acp. I have this one over a year a very accurate gun. They come in 5" also. I think the list on mine was $1800.00.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got one that just arrived at my FFL,  I need to find a holster for the thing now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you loading long? Most 40 1911's seem to like 1.16 COL or longer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Here is a simple non metric 40&W cartridge print (courtesy of google/loadadata.com).

40 S&W Print

SAAMI specs/37,500 PSI MAP.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Getting my DVC Limited to run has been a labor of love (extractor tuning, magazine tuning and a trip to STI for a new rear sight), but now that it's right it is soooo right. Shot it today side by side with Glocks and Sigs, and it's just far and away the best shooting gun in my hands that I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Be wary of the free advice you are getting  here, it's worth exactly  what you paid for it
If you want advice from guys that really know 2011's go to Brian Enos.com.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#29]
OP, I dont know if you have decided or not, but my LGS has an STI DVC Tact in 9mm that I am in love with.  Ive held it, and do so every time I walk in there.  Here is the thing, Im not even really a handgun guy other than my CCW's and a few others.  I cant bring myself to sell a Scar or Noveske to shell out that kind of dough.  I am looking seriously at the 2017 SHot Show Limited edition he has in the shop.  Thats alot more reasonable to me.  Some day I will get a Cabot, but for now the lower end STI is probably good enough for me, a non pistol collector.  If I had the extra dough, Id do the DVC Tact.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I just picked mine up today.  Only put about 20 rounds through it so far but I really like.  I did upgrade the sights to the TAS and and Dawson fiber front sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top