Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2017 1:02:17 AM EDT
I'm wanting to build a slide assembly to convert my stainless Colt 1991A1 into a 10mm. From researching I'll only need a barrel, 40 S&W/10mm slide, slide parts, ejector, and 23 lb recoil spring.

Sound right??? Since Colt doesn't use a ramped barrel, I'm looking at unramped 10mm barrels that should drop in.

I know I can probably buy a RIA 10mm for about the same price, but will be building this over time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I would cut the frame for a ramped barrel.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would cut the frame for a ramped barrel.
View Quote
+1

might as well keep the gun " as is " and build up or buy a 10mm

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm wanting to build a slide assembly to convert my stainless Colt 1991A1 into a 10mm. From researching I'll only need a barrel, 40 S&W/10mm slide, slide parts, ejector, and 23 lb recoil spring.

Sound right??? Since Colt doesn't use a ramped barrel, I'm looking at unramped 10mm barrels that should drop in.

I know I can probably buy a RIA 10mm for about the same price, but will be building this over time.
View Quote

Bad idea.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The beauty of a built up 1911, is hand fitting the parts

If you're gonna do this, have the frame cut for a ramped barrel,  and have a quality match barrel HAND FITTED

Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a Delta Elite.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a Delta Elite.
View Quote
Totally agree...buy one made that way.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
The feed ramp angle for a 10mm is different from the feed ramp angle for a .45 ACP.

It is supposed to be the same as the 9mm/.38Super/9x23mm, but my Delta elite is just slightly different.  (I haven't measured anything, it may well be in tolerance, but is noticeably different from my .38 Supers).

If you go to a ramped barrel, this problem goes away.  

In my youthful ignorance I once built a 9mm frame with a .45 ACP slide/barrel.  (OK, I wasn't totally ignorant, but youthfully optimistic).  It did shoot, with hardball, nothing else.  That frame is now a .38 Super/9x23mm Winchester gun, though it also spent time as a 9x19.

Switch calibers are fun, but nothing is certain.  My Delta Elite has been a 10mm, a .40 S&W, 357 SIG, 9x19mm, and a .38 Super.  

Building switch caliber guns may be fun, but financially it is not a wise decision.  I like to have fun with my firearms hobby, and save wise decisions for my investments, however.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#8]
No grasshopper, you do not. You want to get another 1911 in 10MM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top