Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2017 10:59:55 AM EDT
I know ARs and HKs but am a complete virgin with 1911s. I want to change out triggers. Is that a job for NASA or can I pull it off? Thanks
I haven't received the gun yet so haven sized up the job yet.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
What brand of 1911 did you go with ? I wouldn't plan on changing anything without shooting it first . It may be perfect for you right out of the box .
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Les Baer. I'd like a skeletonized trigger. But I k ow what you mean.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless its been fooled with, you will like the trigger... all the big boys of 1911s (baer, wilson, gun crafter, brown, etc) are pretty sweet right out of the box.....
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#4]
You can do the trigger it's not very difficult if you have the right tools... will it function, probably?.... will it be as smooth as if you sent it back to Baer to be done, NO

If you want a new trigger on a high end 1911 just pay the manufacture to fit one in, especially if you ever plan on selling/trading it

ETA: Trigger install at Baer is only $65
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Point taken...I'm so used to the lego block ease of ARs. I'll try it and see how I like it. I just like the look of the skeleton triggers to be honest
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
A 1911 isn't a lego like an AR and a Les Bauer shouldn't be fucked with. It is good to go as it is.
Nice choice for your first 1911 I have to say.

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I really wouldn't recommend messing with it, given your knowledge level.

However if you are insistent on doing it anyway, there are two potential trouble spots.

The bow(stirrup) length and the overtravel screw.   If the new bow is longer than the current bow, it can cause problems including hammer follow.   The purpose of the overtravel screw must be understood and it must be adjusted properly, or things like full auto fire may result.   If anyone tells you to "remove the screw and throw it away", shun them and throw away their Christmas cards.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input. I'm not going to do it. With ARs and HK roller locks, altering them with tacticool eye candy is second nature. The 1911 bug bit me and I suddenly want a few. It's always been a beautiful gun to me, just always been a long gun/SBR hobbiest but now taking the pistol plunge but you're right a 2k pistol needs to go to the factory for work.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I like skeletonized triggers to but if I was getting a new Bauer I doubt I would mess with it, at least not right out of the gate.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like skeletonized triggers to but if I was getting a new Bauer I doubt I would mess with it, at least not right out of the gate.
View Quote
Yup, and WATCH OUT FOR THE IDIOT SCRATCH!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. I'm not going to do it. With ARs and HK roller locks, altering them with tacticool eye candy is second nature. The 1911 bug bit me and I suddenly want a few. It's always been a beautiful gun to me, just always been a long gun/SBR hobbiest but now taking the pistol plunge but you're right a 2k pistol needs to go to the factory for work.
View Quote
The good news is the trigger on your pistol will most likely be so good that it wont bother you a bit to pay the fee if you decide you just want the skeleton trigger.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#13]
If it's a new LB I wouldn't swap out the trigger personally or have LB do it for you. Anyone that works on the gun besides LB completely voids the warranty. Personally not a fan of the factory LB trigger it has sharp edges in it I don't like. I do swap them out but generally have a lot more work done then just the trigger so I know the warranty is null and void anyway but something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#14]
My 1911s are all stock except for grip panels and I had to swap out the worthless titanium firing pin on my SA mispec. The firing pin was causing 2-3 failure to fire on every mag. Runs like a top now.

Just my opinion, but everyone seems to think you have to take your new 1911 in or work on it yourself to make it "better" and "more reliable" then when the thing runs like crap 1911's start getting knocked as "junk" needs this and that to run right, blah, blah, blah.....

Just shoot the damn thing for a while at least. Then when you "improve" it and find it is an unreliable junker you'll know what the problem is, operator error.......

Enjoy the new 1911!
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:07:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Les Baer has the best deal going - Great choice!  Lube it up and pound 500 rounds down range, then you'll have a good idea on what to change.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#16]
While installing a new trigger isn't that difficult, it does take some filing and stoning. Everything on a 1911 must be hand fit for perfection. Unlike the AR-15 which is plug and play. I remember the first trigger I installed on a 1911. I filed too much and then the grip safety wouldn't work, ha, oops... Had to order a new trigger and toss the bad one and try again. I went much slower the second time, took all day to fit it properly. Basically I would place the file on the table and then drag the top of the trigger one way against it, then the bottom the same one way against it, and then I would see if it fit my frame, repeat until it fits. Then lightly stone it so it moves smoothly within the frame. Then oil and reassemble the gun and function check. But yeah the new trigger will be oversized and won't fit and must be hand fitted to the frame. If you're not much of a gunsmith, then I probably wouldn't mess with it. Or have a good 1911 smith do it for you. Also keep in mind Les Baer's are built super tight. You need to shoot 1,000 rounds before you can take them apart. So shoot a case of ammo first and then decide if you still want to swap the trigger out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn that's more precision than my gunsmithing skills are capable of...I'll leave it alone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top