Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 4:33:33 AM EDT
I have a Kimber custom 2 I have had for 12 years . Had some checkering done on the front strap and dehorned years ago. Night sights are dead now and the finish is rough. My tastes have changed since this work and I want to go with a durable traditional blued type finish. I use some kydex and leather holsters so durable is got to be the best I can try and find. I love this gun and it's reliable and accurate so I want give  her a face lift she's earned it. Let's hear your refinish choices and input. This is a mostly trail and working the property pistol.  Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Ferritic Nitrocarburizing/Melonite/Tenifer
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Robar NP3
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Robar NP3
View Quote
That's an amazing finish but it isn't black.  Their "Roguard" is, though, and that's pretty durable.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#4]
nitriding... first post
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ferritic Nitrocarburizing/Melonite/Tenifer
View Quote
first post and all that
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies I sent email to cyberdyne systems but haven't received any response about what they use to finish the model 101 . I have done a glock slide in Np3 and it looks suspiciously similar. Anyway I will give the Rogard some research
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
No love for Cerakote?  It's always been a great performer for me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Traditional blue simply doesn't have good resistance to wear. You will have to go with some more modern " wonder finish" to get any long term durability of finish for a working gun. Me personally like the look of a used honest wear gun and unless I had issues with active rust leave my guns as is even when there is little finish remaining.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Durable and blued is an oxymoron.

Nitride it if you want it to be durable.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard good things about IonBond. I have one Colt custom shop gun that is done in nitride, and another in IonBond. I haven't put them through any wear and tear, however, so I can't make any first-hand statements concerning how they hold up.

I've heard that nitriding 1911s can be challenging due to the high temperatures involved. IonBond uses lower temperatures and thus doesn't have that issue.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#11]
How about parkerizing?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top